What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:08 pm

What a nice cool overcast morning it was. We did more walking baseball, She seems to like this drill and doesn't get bored with it.
And her casting is straightening up from it. Then a couple of 200 yard blind runs, her line broke down at about 125 yards but took the whistle sits and casts beautifully to retrieve both. Then some swimming casting excerise which went good. Then to top it off some muddy marsh marks....Ahhh what a wonderful morning :thumbsup:
Bring on the birds!

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:16 pm

We did some refresher training on baseball and various handling drills today.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby smd13 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:25 pm

4 year old female (HR title): singles with blind. ran them across a pond with various swimming water distance based on the width of the pond. Had my son throw mark, dog pick up mark, then run blind. The marks were towards the line of the blind. The mark # 1 / Blind # 1 distance was 90 yards, Mark # 2 / Blind # 2 was around 85 to 90. Blind # 2 she had to run between two trees on the far bank. One whistled both blinds (didn't handle well on over with 1st blind, i dont think she could see me because of the glare). Did some swim by overs on the return with each blind. the marks she took straight line with mark # 2; mark # 1, she went to her right, then broke back left once she got on land to mark. i should have handled her there.
We are making sure that she is seeing senarios that she will see during hunting season.
7 month old male pup: we are on force fetch week # 2. we are not wanting to fetch off ground. every where else has been pretty easy. we are fetching several different objects and he is not having any problems except with the training buck on the floor. We are following Fowl Dawgs # 1 with him. We have progressed through basics and hold pretty good. Not too many hiccups. Just going real slow.
DU & Delta Waterfowl
NRA

HR Darby Duck Dog
Red River 1 Shot Water Swatter (HRCH Shine x HRCH Jazz)
smd13
hunter

Postby dysco » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:25 pm

15wk-old Eddy worked on gun breaking and water retrieves. Second session with shotgun primers only and she's solid. Next we'll move up to light 20g loads. I'm ordering white rubber bumpers because her brown canvas puppy bumper blends into the far shore.
dysco
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:39 pm

4 month old Hoyt did a few fun bumpers and working obedience till we are blue in the face he does great on all commands but he just isn't super excited for retrieving yet so just obedience work and a few fun bumpers. Gonna get a pigeon out of the freezer for him a few days this week to see if that gets him excited a little more.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby bknilvr00 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Ran normal retrieves and doubles with my year old lab Murphy. Then we started working on the "boat" command. I say boat and he climbs into the aquapod. Then we worked on retrieves with us both in the pod. It'll be a blast for us both this season. His first ever, and my first with a dog.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 am

3 dogs FF'd, 2 swim by, 2 FTP, OB for 2 and some puppy marks for the little one. Got a couple mallards thawing out for real duck marks this evening.
labman63
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:52 am

Labman you can get more done before lunch than I can in a week :thumbsup:
Of course half my time is fixing my mistakes from last week.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Gulfcoast » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Forced the puppy to pile from front position and en route. Key relationship drills for the old dog and a poison bird blind.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:47 pm

well thought we were coming a lot great well ran a seasoned test set up today and the marks were no problem she stepped on both of them diversion not horrible but wanted to play a bit with the duck. went to run the blind (about 80 yards) wow everything went to hell in a hand basket she started off ok she whistle sits were better than normal but her casts were not where just all over the place. after quite a few cast I brought her back in to rerun blind got her going again about 40yards out and everything got worse. so brought her back in put her up packed everything up and brought her back out shot the blind and run her again but this time worse than the last 2 times so put her back up go home grab the white bucket and bumpers and turn it into a pattern blind with a little force after she understood what where she was going and some casting on every 3rd to 4th send.

really hope this doesn't happen on Saturday and sunday at our first seasoned test. But I do know if she starts to act up she will be right on the truck and sitting the rest of the day out.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby smd13 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:42 pm

7 month old male puppy: walking fetch.
4 year old female: single poison bird with a blind. the mark was at an angle across a corner of a pond with high grass around edge. the mark was approx. 90 yards. the blind was more straight across the pond approx. 70+ yards. threw the mark, then ran the blind. she one whistled the blind, then nailed the mark.
DU & Delta Waterfowl
NRA

HR Darby Duck Dog
smd13
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Bronco she just needed to get the brain fart out. Now she will be ready to run and make you proud.
Good Luck.

I went to a retriever training seminar this last weekend. A grasshopper can learn alot just watching the master.
And he was nice enough to let us run a mark he had set for his dogs. About a 100 yarder.
Mine ran to the mark fine then her brain farted. Blinked the duck and went off looking for plastic dummys I think.
I whistled her back to the duck but no way. I called her in and he sent me closer and shot another mark. She did bring that one
into heel. So her training program is Birds Birds and more Birds!
20130910_171342.jpg

20130910_171102.jpg

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:26 am

spry i really hope it was just a brain fart but i think it was the being able to play alittle with the duck as not coming back (ran it with out the collar) that started the whole sprial down hill. but will be running a few blinds today and tomrrow with a few single marks. and make sure all the obedience is there.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Gulfcoast » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:49 am

3 handed casting with the puppy, and 3 ring wagon wheel lining with the old girl.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:18 pm

ran three blinds today and her casting was better today and her whistle sits were a lot better she is getting her butt down on the ground quickly. also ran it more as a pattern blind to be able to get some extra casting to a place she has been before and she gets worse after each run not sure why but her best blind is her first blind on that particular blind. so like today on each individual blind she took maybe 3-4 casts to get to the blind but then she would start going retard on me and doing everything wrong except for the whistle sit she did great with them. tomorrow is few marks and some more blinds after each mark.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby smd13 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Puppy: Walking Force Fetch, included a couple of walk by no fetches. he has stopped anticipating the fetch command. did basic obedience with holding a bumper.

4 year old: in line singles, from 80 to 150 yards.
DU & Delta Waterfowl
NRA

HR Darby Duck Dog
smd13
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:14 pm

My mutts brain seems to have finally passed all its gas and shes focusing again.
The last three days she has been testing me I think. This morning and evening small sessions
she was back to her self again.....Whew glad thats over now to move on.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:07 pm

getting rabbits out of windrowed pines. man the wee cocker worked like a demon and wouldnt give up till bunny came out to be greeted by a hail of steel.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby smd13 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:44 pm

PUP: worked on walking fetch with no pressure, basic obedience,
4 yr old BLF: single Poison bird; blind across pond, up hill, across road. she struggled some with signals trying to get her across the road. its something we will continue to work on.
DU & Delta Waterfowl
NRA

HR Darby Duck Dog
smd13
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:53 pm

after our horrible Saturday at the hunt test Catsquirrel sent me some stuff on BB blinds. it went pretty good had a few cast refusals but really worked on the her whistle sits because im getting a lot of whistle refusals but started getting on the whistle harder and nicking her with the collar a little harder and all of a sudden she was sitting quickly and looking straight at me. as we go along with the BB drills I will start to get on the whistle less and hopefully with out as many collar corrections. but all in all she did pretty good, going to work with this drill a few more times and then see how she does at the training day this weekend.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:48 am

My dog is Steve: 3y/o WPG

Had a great, pleasant day at the pond with Steve and Kinsey, my buddy's 2 year old lab bitch.

Started with the usual warm up of simple toss, hold for a while, send on name, rotating with buddy's dog to reinforce honoring.

Moved to multiple 20/30 yard bumpers on the water, sending dogs simultaneously to clear the water as fast as possible. Steve did great, retrieving whichever bumper I lined him on, though his "girlfriend" tried to steal his bumper.

Worked up to 120 yard water retrieves with buddy's help. No problems, brought to hand. X2 then quick break.

Added 80 yard blind retrieves X 3. No problems, though I think the rhythm they get in helps them and is sort of cheating when compared to a real hunting situation--might really try to switch the order tomorrow.

Moved to 40 yard doubles and triples on "back" command X 3. Again, no issues and he's really marking well in his fourth year.

Took a walk around the dirt and played "walk and fetch." Important for pointer to remember to whoa after birds are flushed. He botched first one but quickly remembered and whoa'ed for the next five until I sent him.

And always close the same way I start: Two simple tosses to make sure we end positively. Man I enjoy having a dog that loves to train...makes it so much more fun and easy.

Tomorrow: More long retrieves, mix up blinds and placement to try to introduce some variables in the rhythm, then baseball!
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:06 am

been working alot on our blinds lately and she can mark so decied it was time to try and putting them together with a pattern blind we have run a few times. started her off with out the winger just the blind to make sure that she knew where she was going, the put the winger out and ran it again with out throwing a mark took a few times to ignore the winger (wanted the dokken alot more that the bumper) then after she was lining the blind with out the mark being thrown i threw the mark let her pick it up then ran the blind. first send after the mark was not great had to move up about 20 yards to get her to go straight. brought her back to the line and ran the blind again. threw anouther mark let her pick it up then to the blind she did alot better the second time. the blind was around 75 yards and the mark was around 50 yards. all in all she did pretty good and i think she is starting to trust me when it comes to taking a cast her whistle sits are getting better alot less whistle sit corrections than last week.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:24 pm

today went out and wanted to do the same thing as yesterday but in a new place but an established pattern blind. well it went a lot better than I expected. set the blind up she lined it twice kind of expected her to. then put the winger out loaded and ready to go. well she lines the blind with the winger out. so launch the mark and let her pick it up line her for the blind and she LINES it wasn't expecting that. so to move the difficulty level up reload the winger line her up for the mark let it go no her off the mark lined her up for the blind and 5 whistled the blind (she wanted that bird) only one whistle correction and made sure it was a good ways off the winger. she comes back and let her pick up the bird. run the blind one more time and then called it a day. all I can say is I was very pleased and she ran the blinds straight out the gate like it was a mark. the blind was around 90-95 yards and the mark was around 50 yards.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby dysco » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 pm

The trainer says the birds have to come from the ground to simulate upland. So we walk about 5 miles to jump ducks in a hayfield with a stream and oxbow ponds. Great exercise, and she's picking things up quick. Today she did awesome at "don't chase the damn cows" and she found a cripple from last week (We looked for a teal for 30 minutes before calling it off. She scented it today and bailed into the pond to chase and retrieve it.) and chased down a mallard in a thicket. She played keep-away with it, but I wouldn't have gotten it without her help. One triple retrieve today without a hitch.

She's not retrieving to hand, but she will fetch any bird out of water and bring it well up on shore. She did a double retrieve out of a high-flowing creek last week. I think that's pretty stellar for a dog just shy of 20 weeks.

I'm sort of working on "Whoa" but using "Hey" instead. Worked great on the cows- she figured it out quick. She stayed focused on the cow, but stopped. The she'd listen to "here" or follow me on a new course.
dysco
hunter

Postby Riley » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 am

Just sit and wait rather then be in my face. You will get the crust when I eat the rest of the slice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Brandon
Lucy the poodle
Riley
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum