What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Visited Kirby at the trainer on Tuesday. He's working FTP and running for his CP title on Saturday.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:20 pm

I took the mutt out to the duck swamps today for a brush up on training and blind etiquette before the season opener this weekend.
After being gone for 1 1/2 weeks big game hunting I thought we might run into a few problems. Boy was I wrong, I think the lay off did her good. She was awesome her nose work on very heavy cover marks was the best I have ever seen. Long blinds across water to land were nailed with hardly any handling. When needed her whistle sits were crisp even at long distance, Over casts were dead on. It was almost to good to be true. And in the blind she sat still and steady with my duck call blairing loud and birds landing in front of her. So now my expectations are high but reality is she will break down some in all the excitement so im ready for that.
The best thing is seeing all the time and training has really stuck and she gets it. But either way this should be fun :thumbsup:

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Since I my Lab died 3 years ago, and Im 64 and my days in the field aren't what they used to be, I decided it wouldn't be fair to get another and not hunt him the way a good retriever should be hunted. So Ive taken on a new challenge, my daughter who currently lives with us has a 9 month old Collie. I have to admit this is the smartest dog Ive ever worked with. I have been working on standard sit ,stay hand signals, and hes great so , What did we do today, We worked on a hand signal to go out side to pee. I form the letter P with my fingers and say outside, well after taking him out about 4 times today, I don't have to say outside, I just form the letter, he barks the acknowledgment and out we go, I think hes about 2 pounds lighter because he pees every time I take him out lol

BTW last week he learned how to spell, I say the letters O.U.T. and he heads to the door

Life with a Grand Dog is great
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:I took the mutt out to the duck swamps today for a brush up on training and blind etiquette before the season opener this weekend.
After being gone for 1 1/2 weeks big game hunting I thought we might run into a few problems. Boy was I wrong, I think the lay off did her good. She was awesome her nose work on very heavy cover marks was the best I have ever seen. Long blinds across water to land were nailed with hardly any handling. When needed her whistle sits were crisp even at long distance, Over casts were dead on. It was almost to good to be true. And in the blind she sat still and steady with my duck call blairing loud and birds landing in front of her. So now my expectations are high but reality is she will break down some in all the excitement so im ready for that.
The best thing is seeing all the time and training has really stuck and she gets it. But either way this should be fun :thumbsup:

Spry

Thats awesome, always liked pleasant surprises. I have also seen that am few days off are just what the dog needed. Unfortunately Taz is on a week off, since dove hunting last Friday. Work has been crazy, hoping to find some dove or chickens for him tomorrow, he's making a road trip to western KS with me tomorrow for work.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:20 pm

The past few days since the fowl season has opened we have been working on retrieving fresh shot wild ducks.
Many that swim into the cattails and undergrowth because of my poor pattern placement. :rolleyes:
So far it's been going great. No lost birds, some trailed quite deep into the undergrowth. Those suckers can really get after it
when it's a life or death situation for them. On on nice fat greenhead she was swimming out looking for it when I noticed a poof of feathers in the water, I cast her to the feathers pile whistled and over cast her back to shore. A few seconds later out she came with a greenhead looking around like WTH is happening. So far so good for this season.
duck opener 016.jpg

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:29 am

And that's the object of our exercise.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:29 am

spry it must be nice to see the work paying off. hoping i can experiance the same thing this year.

yesterday was a pretty easy day for Belle a couple of marks but the first few days of the week we were haveing to go back and revisit force to water/pile because Belle didnt want to go in water on a blind.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Wasn't today, but last evening the coyote and I started training a new pup.

The coyote appeared to have some doubt about our pup's readiness at such a tender age:

But I let my pups tell me what they're ready for. Initially, just throwing a bumper was enough of a puzzle. Some went up:

And some went down:

But eventually they began going out:

And that brought us to the Brittish vs US style handling debate:

We settled on the US:

as that was what the coyote understood best:

Then we called it a great session and didn't push for finer line manners. Also going to wait until our next session to tackle the concept of doubles:
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:40 pm

The coyote appears to be a steady and patient trainer. With that kind of tudoring the student will go far.
Thats awesome Rick. :thumbsup:

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 pm

We beat the dogs up pretty bad last week, so this this week we decided to do some very simple therapy singles and easy blinds.

Tues: an easy ABCD drill emphasizing checks and going long.

Wed: a simple water double with a long angled entry (175 yards) then an 80 yard swim with a semi-retired gun. The go was a straight up bird across a different small pond off to the right. Since we didn't want to rock the boat with a correction for any cheating on the long "retired", we elected to have the dog show memory of the "retired" memory bird by having the gun out when they returned from the go bird then tossing a bumper behind the bird to reinforce the proper line. The gun retired on the send.

Thurs: we did a simple in-line "triple" thrown as singles off stickmen. I elected to do it long to short to work on head swinging and checking down. My training partner elected to do it short to long as he's had problems driving past old falls. We then finished with a simple short-then long double blind.

Tomorrow, we will finish the week with a simple water handling drill and an OB session with light corrections as needed.
We will be under judgement this weekend.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:46 am

well this week is going to be busy as all get out so i sent Belle with a trainer for this week to see alot of marks. well yesterday the trainer went to a tech pond in N GA and ran alot of marks with alot of re entries. talked to him yesterday afternoon and he told me she nailed every marks only wanted to cheat once on the way back in and he corrected her with a no and a cast back into the water. and listened to him very well (first time he ever ran her). but here is a short video of one of the marks they ran (not my dog but a very nice young dog named smoke)

is the the 44sec long video

https://www.facebook.com/brier.kennels/ ... 025&type=2
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labsforme » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Cat, put the white coat up for most of the winter.Beanie will be working on short multiple retrieves FROM a blind. I am the one under judgement. I had a Trumarc Zip Code daughter that would roll her eyes and moan at you with a whiffed shot.Glacier is working on AA cold blinds (doing very well) and big marks down south in Cal.
Take care,

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:20 pm

for some reason we didn't get the straight line thing down on water so have forced to water a few times a few weeks ago then family issues so sent Belle with a trainer last week. so started with force to water and force in water to make sure she understood what I was asking. went ok but did try and add a small variable to the equation with sends from in front a couple of times some mild confusion but she started to understand what I wanted. then moved to land and really needed to work on the whistle sit to be quick and look at me (she wanted to put her nose in the air and smell for the bird) and to take a correct cast so put a white bucket out with a pile of bumpers so we could work on both issues but mostly the putting her butt on the ground when I tell her to.

also when I was working on water saw a guy throwing a bumper for his yellow lab so stopped by and talked to him and invited him to come to the field with me to watch Belle and to throw some marks for his dog. I have to say his dog did quite well for a dog that had never seen a mark from out in the field. she wasn't a hard charger but marked pretty well. ran straight to it but would stop about 10yrds short and start to put her nose to the ground. even though Belles training was not the best it was nice seeing a dog figure out birds don't always come from the side.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Order a couple dokkens and got them in today. Got the pintail out just to do some fun retrieves with my pup. He is 5 months old and is just now getting excited for retrieving. He has always done well just rarely drives hard for it and hustles back. Well today I think he liked his new toy. He charged as hard as I have ever seen. And did 4 good fun bumpers with it. So I seated him next to me and gave it a toss and a quick release to retrieve and again a hard charge. So I quit wanted to leave him wanting more.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 am

With the season open we haven't been doing a lot of training, just working on a few known commands that need solidifying.
One of those being angle backs. This weekend we got to put it to use on someone else's duck. As the shooter was walking his house pet down to a bridge over a canal to get to a road that the duck crashed on the other side of out in the marsh grasses.
I asked if I could use my dog to get it of course he said sure to spare him the walk.
I went to the shooting location and lined up the Pearl, showed her the line and sent Back! like a rocked she busted into the canal and swam to the other side came out on line and up to the road. Whistle stopped (heres the test) right angle back into
the marsh behind her. She took it beautifully was out of sight for 20 seconds or so, then came smoking back bird in mouth across the canal. Heres her failure, she got out of the brush on the side of the canal dropped the duck and shook off. Needing a fetch /come command to bring it to heel sit and raise it to me. The gentlemen whose duck it was seemed shocked. Wow nice trained dog who trained it :thumbsup: She did have a glitch with the drop so I need to work on that. But I feel she passed this true hunt test.
Since she turned 2 seems the light has come on and she understands it all now. You can just see her game face come on when you grab a gun and some camo. She doesn't even like her ears rubbed when shes hunting. At home she our love bunny..LOL
Happy Hunting
Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:26 pm

ran a new pile in water today to try and get her to understand all you have to do is go straight in water and not play with sticks or anything just get to the pile. and finished up with some marks on land and she didn't want to make very well not sure if it was from the pressure for the water work or just a dog being a dog. got a lot of work to do on water blinds before the hunting season starts since we are not running any tests for the rest of the fall. I know the marking will come but got to have a dog that can do a water blind.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Went pheasant hunting today. Worked well but gets lazy when there's not much scent around.

Have been working him out of his dog blind for field hunting. He is 90% steady when I'm sitting on a bucket next to him calling but as soon as I bring out my layout and another person calling too he is real shakey and keeps wanting to get in my blind with me. I think he is just freaked out he can't see me and all the action has him amped up. So we will continue to work on that and hunt.

I do have a question. I had him sent to a trainer for FF and CC, he got through force to pile but we stopped there and trainer said just hunt him and we will pick up on casting and blinds in the spring. It looks like most of you guys are just continuing to train through and not stop during season, which I would like to do also, but not sure if it would be counter productive hunting him and doing pile work and moving on to T and TT.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:48 am

cn44- I can't hunt 7 days a week so to keep the kids attitude and interest up we train or as she thinks play every night after work. Like I hide 5 or 6 bumpers around the yard then we play cast to bumper or line to bumper, steady while other dog does it.
She thinks its great play. As long as I keep it structured I feel it's training. But I'm no pro, so ask him why stop? This is just one way I spend time with my girls when were not hunting this time of year and it gets dark so early.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:45 pm

well as some know a month of work seams to have gone out the window after a couple of months so after forcing to water and in water to go to the back pile (still not done but a lot better) I decided to change it up a bit started swimby again but in a different way than we did it the first time more like how bill Hillman does it. started on a point at the fish ponds put a white bucket on the shore about 15 yards from where the point meets the land. tossed a bumper out about 15-20 yards send her for the bumper and then when she got to the bumper whiste threw a bumper to the bucket and casted over after a couple of times doing this she was doing good. the next couple of times threw a bumper send her whistle when she picked it up and cast. still having to keep walking with her a little bit but I know this time to make sure she truly understands what I want her to do. no half way doing it.

I think I learn more than she does each time we have to go back and do something over and the hardest part is swallowing your pride and just doing it again so the dog truly understand what you want them to do.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:52 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:I think I learn more than she does each time we have to go back and do something over and the hardest part is swallowing your pride and just doing it again so the dog truly understand what you want them to do.

Benjamin, far too many people rush through the basics instead of firmly entrenching them. It sounds like you're making excellent progress.

As for us, we did a simple marking drill (singles) with a straightforward blind about 15 feet downwind of one of the old falls. Pretty basic and vanilla, but we're running under judgement this weekend so I didn't want any battles.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:02 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:I think I learn more than she does each time we have to go back and do something over and the hardest part is swallowing your pride and just doing it again so the dog truly understand what you want them to do.

Benjamin, far too many people rush through the basics instead of firmly entrenching them. It sounds like you're making excellent progress.

As for us, we did a simple marking drill (singles) with a straightforward blind about 15 feet downwind of one of the old falls. Pretty basic and vanilla, but we're running under judgement this weekend so I didn't want any battles.

Kevin good luck and have fun this weekend I know I will be sitting in the deer stand and taking dad hunting (he had a stroke about a month ago) so it will be special but belle will get some work at the pond on our hunting club. trying to talk my dad in to coming and helping me train and run her on marks so if he gets a lot more mobility back before duck season he can go and run belle and everyone else shoots birds.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:47 pm

went up the fish ponds again with a buddy with a 9mo CLF that had never seen water but for one other time. started with Belle honoring for Ellie which turned into a retrieve because the mark was just a little far for the first time. (wasn't thinking) so started with a few short retrieves with belle honoring and it took a little encouragement but Ellie got out and picked up the bumper did this 2 more times extending distance each time.

then it was belles turn and did some swim by again very similar to like we did the day before but in new spot and she did quite well and depending on the time of day I have a spot that will work to keep up the work.

and the last of the day was letting ellie see a mark from the winger that was about a 20 yard swim. I have to say it was fun watching a pup have the light bulb moment I personally don't get to see that enough.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:29 pm

did a little more pile work in the water up at the hunting club it was kind of cheaty but not bad she would go out in the water and then want to cheat the bank but glad we did a couple of days of swim by cause a whistle and a straight over and back into the water she went. and finally on the last send she came straight back in the water.

then this afternoon ran a hip pocket double and she did ok for the first time she had ever seen a true hip pocket double she had a hunt the first and needed a little help on the memory bird (think it would have gone smoother of the electronics were working better. and finished up with a long land pattern blind about 150 yards and she did ok but didn't want to take a straight line cause of these little thorny leaves on the ground. but not bad still getting a few cast refusals but her whistle sits are getting a lot better with.

plan on tomorrow running a couple of land marks then going and hitting the dove field in the afternoon since it is the last day of first season.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm

today helped a couple of guys with 9mo pups and you could really tell which pup has been trained constantly but trained back in a swamp in running water one mark was pretty easy only 25 yards but the second mark was a little tougher for the pups cause they had to fight a little to get to the bird. I ran belle on the same marks but as a double and with the memory mark angled back. brought the pups back out again to do a short entry re entry mark. both pups did quite well for never seeing something like this.

then ran belle on a shorter blind around 70 yards trying to work on the whistle sit which is getting better every day and trying to get her to take a cast so keep the line to the blind very strict to get a lot of casts.

and to end the day brought out the promising pup out to do a couple of longer land marks. the first was around 65yrds the second was around 80 yards she did pretty good had to help a little on the second mark but still fun watching a young pup start to figure things out.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm

I have had Gunner running long blinds and marks with diversions and walk ups for the last several weeks. Yesterday marks were 125 yards and the blind was out near 200 give or take a few yards. We ran two sets of doubles as true mutiples with a blind and diversion. I am thawing out the fresh birds as we speak for the rest of the week. I am going to shortin him up on his distances between now and next thursday to get ready for the Charleston test. If he keeps running like he has in training I am hoping we can come away with his HR title. Then we can settle down and enjoy duck season and hopfully spend a couple weeks west of the Mississippi river.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum