What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Had a warm up today +10 so we did a couple sessions of T work. Just starting it and am really stressing the back pile. He wants to keep looking at the over piles before he is sent. Anything to do other than just keep "no'ing" him off the overs until focused on the back pile?
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm


Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby Labs » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:19 pm

cn44 wrote:Had a warm up today +10 so we did a couple sessions of T work. Just starting it and am really stressing the back pile. He wants to keep looking at the over piles before he is sent. Anything to do other than just keep "no'ing" him off the overs until focused on the back pile?


I assume that you are identifying each of the piles for him prior to running it? If so, identify the back pile last, and use white at the back pile and orange on the over piles. If you went through mini T, you should be ok using the orange on the over piles. Also, when you started this, what distances and starting locations did you use? I'm in MN too, so if you want to chat about this on the phone, it may be easier than trying to explain everything here, but you probably get what I am talking about....

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mayer, MN

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:07 pm

As we walk the canals at the refuge since there the only place with open liquid water.
We started training Sneak heel. Anyway thats what I'm calling it. It was hard sneaking up on
the fowl in the canals to jump shoot them with her heeled by my side. Alot easier when shes
sneaking right behind me. By getting her behind me and putting my open hand on my butt
and telling her to sneak,sneak shes is picking it up really well. but harvesting a few retrieves
this way helped her understand also. Weird but it works so who cares, It achieves our goals of meat
and retrieves. But she needs to run blind retrieves since she can't mark em good behind me.
The other thing is some walk around blinds on the snow covered frozen ponds. As we step onto the pond
I set a orange bumper in the bushes while shes playing, then walk to another shore edge and drop another.
And wander across the pond. Line her and send her back. Amazing how straight she will run when there is no
distractions from terrain. Once she hooked off line from the wind I think but took a whistle and cast to the other
bumper. Shes ran 150 to 200 yards straight to the bumpers. Seeing the influence of wind and terrain Decheating is
in this years training schedule.
We did get a nice drake canvasback this weekend I sent her in the crap down wind of the area she blew off line, Whistled sit
cast right she went in then it got all quiet. Located her running full speed across a snow covered iced pond. The duck was 2 feet
in the air in front of her.She grabed it out of the air, put on the brakes and rolled in the snow. never dropping the duck.
Whistled in from 150 yards to a heeled handoff :thumbsup:
Had to tell someone of that retrieve......

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
User avatar
Spry Yellowdog
hunter
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Utah

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:As we walk the canals at the refuge since there the only place with open liquid water.
We started training Sneak heel. Anyway thats what I'm calling it. It was hard sneaking up on
the fowl in the canals to jump shoot them with her heeled by my side. Alot easier when shes
sneaking right behind me. By getting her behind me and putting my open hand on my butt
and telling her to sneak,sneak shes is picking it up really well. but harvesting a few retrieves
this way helped her understand also. Weird but it works so who cares, It achieves our goals of meat
and retrieves. But she needs to run blind retrieves since she can't mark em good behind me.
The other thing is some walk around blinds on the snow covered frozen ponds. As we step onto the pond
I set a orange bumper in the bushes while shes playing, then walk to another shore edge and drop another.
And wander across the pond. Line her and send her back. Amazing how straight she will run when there is no
distractions from terrain. Once she hooked off line from the wind I think but took a whistle and cast to the other
bumper. Shes ran 150 to 200 yards straight to the bumpers. Seeing the influence of wind and terrain Decheating is
in this years training schedule.
We did get a nice drake canvasback this weekend I sent her in the crap down wind of the area she blew off line, Whistled sit
cast right she went in then it got all quiet. Located her running full speed across a snow covered iced pond. The duck was 2 feet
in the air in front of her.She grabed it out of the air, put on the brakes and rolled in the snow. never dropping the duck.
Whistled in from 150 yards to a heeled handoff :thumbsup:
Had to tell someone of that retrieve......

Spry


sounds like something i could use for trying to jump shoot woodies on the creek at the hunting club. but not sure if this would work but teaching her to come to heel (from your back side) when she sees you raise up to shoot might be benefical for her to mark birds down (even though dogs dont mark as well when they are moving) but would be more fun for you and her.
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Labs wrote:
I assume that you are identifying each of the piles for him prior to running it? If so, identify the back pile last, and use white at the back pile and orange on the over piles. If you went through mini T, you should be ok using the orange on the over piles. Also, when you started this, what distances and starting locations did you use? I'm in MN too, so if you want to chat about this on the phone, it may be easier than trying to explain everything here, but you probably get what I am talking about....

Labs


I get what your saying. Yep, ran mini T and have progressively backed up from the back pile. He takes casts to each pile with confidence. I have the back pile about 70 yards right now (all the room I have with this snow) and overs are about 20 yards each side off the center line and 45-50 yards from baseline.

First sends to back pile he focuses great on it. Once I get an over in he likes to stare down that pile. I am "no'ing" him off it and take a step forward and as soon as he looks at back pile I'll kick him off. We are really just getting into T work seriously now, first day running this distance, ran some smaller T (20-30yd back with 10-15yd overs) before the cold weather the last couple weeks and he did fine with that. Just getting him back into the swing of things and I think it'll come around. If he doesn't sharpen up with it in a couple days I'll start to question what's going on. I have been leaving a white bumper at the over piles just to make sure he picks it up but I'll eliminate that and only run orange bumpers on overs, and I'll identify back pile last.
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:57 am

krazybronco2 wrote:sounds like something i could use for trying to jump shoot woodies on the creek at the hunting club. but not sure if this would work but teaching her to come to heel (from your back side) when she sees you raise up to shoot might be benefical for her to mark birds down (even though dogs dont mark as well when they are moving) but would be more fun for you

There ya go. I need to try it. Would be easy in the off season with a birdboy and some poppers. She picked up on it really quick when there was a reward. (dead bird to retrieve) Teaching in the hunting season would be tough because I need to hit the bird not
watch the dog. I get the evil eye when I miss :no:

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
User avatar
Spry Yellowdog
hunter
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Utah

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:34 am

We worked on heeling off lead for a while yesterday. Went really well. Also worked a few quail outside in a pine tree farm. She found and pointed both in short order. I'm starting to turn up the requirements of all her known skills. Looking forward til spring and doing FF
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
User avatar
OmegaRed
Fabio
 
Posts: 3858
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am
Location: I eat Chimichangas

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:54 am

Ran some single T this morning and it went well. I think Labs nailed it on marking the back pile last and using white on the back and orange on the overs. Had a little bit of looking at the overs but he wasn't trying to lock in on them like he was yesterday.
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby Labs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 am

cn44 wrote:Ran some single T this morning and it went well. I think Labs nailed it on marking the back pile last and using white on the back and orange on the overs. Had a little bit of looking at the overs but he wasn't trying to lock in on them like he was yesterday.


Good deal! You can always shorten the back pile and widen out the side piles, but it sounded like the identifying the back pile last worked...nice job!
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mayer, MN

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:28 pm

more teaching right now to get her more confident on running blinds. so today since we haven't trained in the last 4 days (I know bad owner) but did a key relationship drill and on the blind pole put white buckets on them to build confidence on going and casting. after the identifying each blind threw a mark and ran the blinds and then a mark and the blinds. on the last one she was lining 2 of the blinds but was having problems with the middle blind wanted to ping pong around a little bit cause of the mark and the other 2 blinds but cant complain only had one big correction on the first sit whistle and I could almost put up the transmitter cause her butt was hitting the ground and looking right at me. also we had an audience cause there were some linemen waiting to hear if they were done and watched and they thought it was the most amazing thing they had seen.
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Ran some more single T today. Wanting to move on to TT but need to find an area that will allow it. So will probably have to do some lining to back pile then single T again then get into TT. Hopefully by the end of the week we'll be running TT. Weather for the next week looks good.
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:51 pm

today had a training day with a local retriever club with real bird boys (work for a field trial trainer) that threw really good birds. but wanted to work on some blinds with some influence of the marks. so ran the blinds first then threw the marks a singles then ran the blinds again. and since we have been running a lot of blinds lately and not seeing a lot of good marks the second series was just marks ran a double and then a single nothing really hard she stepped on them. and then to finish it off with some honoring since we had a couple of line issues nothing major like breaking but a lot more moving than I would have liked so got one nice correction on the first bird and didn't have to correct after that but it was nice to have a big group of people with lots of distractions so I could correct If needed.

also for anyone looking at joining a retriever club do it but remember that a training day is for you and your dog you can do what ever you want and don't push your dog to hard. quite a few people today were trying to I guess "showoff" and were pushing their dogs really hard and the dogs almost got nothing out of it because they were so confused. just treat it like any other training you normally do and correct if needed cause they will come with all the distractions (bird smells, people talking, moving around, and other dogs)
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Moved fields so we have enough room to run TT. Just ran a back pile today and it was a smooth transition. Will probably run the back pile again tomorrow in a morning session then add in overs in the second session.
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:34 pm

cn44 wrote:Moved fields so we have enough room to run TT. Just ran a back pile today and it was a smooth transition. Will probably run the back pile again tomorrow in a morning session then add in overs in the second session.


one thing I would recommend is just add one section of the over piles get the dog used to that one then add the second set of over piles. and identify each over as you add them.
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:49 am

krazybronco2 wrote:
cn44 wrote:Moved fields so we have enough room to run TT. Just ran a back pile today and it was a smooth transition. Will probably run the back pile again tomorrow in a morning session then add in overs in the second session.


one thing I would recommend is just add one section of the over piles get the dog used to that one then add the second set of over piles. and identify each over as you add them.


Yep, will do. We've already been running full T for a few days. It's just the field we are in doesn't accommodate TT so we had to move. I definitely take my time teaching everything thoroughly before moving on.

I'm not in any hurry to get through it since all the water is frozen for another 4-5 months and will be too cold until probably June so we won't be moving to swim by any time soon.
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Had and awesome training day today with a local pro. pretty nice double they were not long but with the cover changes and both marks to were the dog couldnt see the bird hit the ground made them a little challenging. and then had a blind that the line was just outside of the area of the fall of the go bird.

I ran the blind first which wasnt super easy using birds for the marks and belle being the 4th or 5th dog to run (sented area) but 2 whistled the first blind then ran the marks and she nailed them came back and finished up with running the blind again and she lined the blind. i was very proud of her and the way she handled everything today.

and to finish before leaving for work ran one water mark in a pretty nasty stick pond and she make a nice channel for all the other dogs cause she pushed every log and stick out of the way.(she has no fear when there is a real duck involved)

Image
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:43 pm

We have started out slow with just a single quack. Next week we start the comback. :wink:
1-14-14 078.JPG


Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
User avatar
Spry Yellowdog
hunter
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Utah

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Added all 4 over piles to TT today. It went well other than bumpers freezing and the dog getting worked up because they are a pain in the butt to pick up and hold on to. I think the frozen bumpers alone cause him more stress than having to think about what he needs to do. Need some warm weather so we don't have to deal with distractions like this.
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm

pretty decent water set up today run as a double. the go bird was easy but the memory bird was not bad but the way the sun was (right in our face) made it quite difficult but belle did quite well with the memory bird other than cheating a little bit but she knew exatly where it was. no correction for the cheating on the way out but on the way in got a whistle sit with an over cast back into the water. and finished today with some pile work in the water. got to get this dog going in water before the spring but shouldnt be to hard since we have done this before back in august.
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Today got to train at one of the most beautiful places in GA to train a dog (or at least i think so) sandhill kennels. but today had a little help from a fellow member of our retriever club so ran an ABCD drill with stickmen. (Pic at the bottom) these were all run as singles. G1 was 200yards thrown right to left, G2 was 167yards thrown right to left, G3 was 131yards thrown left to right, and G4 was 180 yards and trown right to left.

the first time we ran anything this long before and belle did really well. had the choice to handle back to the area of the fall on the first long bird (G1) but wasnt because she didnt get out there but her hunt started getting really big (tried to give her time to work it out on her own) but one angled back cast and she was back on it. the others she did really well on g2 went long and had to check down but not bad G3 she smoked and G4 was a long hunt but she dug it out when she got on the down wind side of the bumper.

Image
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Sounds like a good day!

We got out and did some TT before the weather set in. Blizzard warning all day today.
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:10 pm

TT this morning went well. Then just ran a mid day session of TT also. Threw in some disciplined casting and he took that really well. Hope to be able to be out of TT by the end of the weekend. That would be approx. 5 days of full TT 2 sessions a day.

On a side note, I really need to invest in some more bumpers, probably try to get a dozen canvas ones for those cold days that are all too often here in MN.
User avatar
cn44
hunter
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 pm

today trained with a local pro and ran some walking singles that were not long mostly set up for the younger dogs on the truck but the older dogs ran them as well. and then ran some pattern blinds. the blinds were not long but very challenging because they were very tight so a lot of casting only corrections were for not sitting and after 2nd blind she really started to roll and become more confident in what she was being asked to do.
User avatar
krazybronco2
hunter
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09 am
Location: Grovetown GA

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby coupe1975 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Worked on proper behavior in blind
Attachments
IMG1511.jpg
coupe1975
hunter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:38 am

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby go get the bird » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:26 pm

We worked on ice fishing..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390177567.953801.jpg



ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390177582.553755.jpg
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests