What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 am

Going to run a session of TT this morning and depending how that goes will move on to pattern blinds this afternoon.
cn44
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:56 pm

frydaddy wrote:
ChasinTail wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:well here in GA it snowed and Belle wasn't sure what it was and wouldn't even go potty in it so did a couple of fun bumpers in the back yard and she found out it was fun so went out to a field and ran a couple of pattern blinds in the snow and a couple of hand thrown marks since no one would go train with me and I didn't want to set up the wingers.

I know exactly how you feel. We've had snow here in ky for the last couple weeks and it's really put a hurting on our potty training. Nelli would just sit there and eat the snow rather than peeing or pooping on it. Pretty frustrating when I'd take her out and stand there for 20 minutes then as soon as we'd get inside she would poop or pee in the house. I try to stay calm, I'm sure she'll get it when she gets a little older and understands I don't like when she pottys in the house.

do u have a kennel or crate? even puppies don't like to pee where they sleep. take her out of it in the morning and straight outside when she does her business lots of praise or a treat. and do the same when u take her out during the day. I have 2 dogs3and10 to this day my 10yr old thinks everytime he goes outside for even a minute he is supposed to get a treat. he comes in walks to kitchen area and sits facing the cabinet where they are. ive even watched him hike his leg do nothing and when we walk back in go repeat the facing the kitchen. ya he fakes it for a treat LOL

at her age reward for every good behavior either crazy praise or a treat. remember its in her blood to really want to please you, so she will learn that going out side makes you happy faster than she will learn that going in side makes u unhappy.

Yes I have a small crate and a bigger one. She's doing a little better and hasn't went inside in a few days.

I'm gonna start using treats and try to get her to sit on command again.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby uglymug » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Kinda funny to hear you guys talking about the pups getting freaked out by snow. My AWS Penny is 4 months old. She's never seen ground without snow on it up here in WI. I hope the grass doesn't freak her out come April. :wink:
uglymug
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Wow, haven't been able to get out for a while to train but today was nice so we did some TT. Or I should say we regressed back to running a straight back pile with no overs. That was difficult enough.

The field we are working in the local grain elevator had a big corn pile stacked and spent the last week or so cleaning it up to move to bins, this changed the whole scenery to our TT field and it was quite a struggle and frustrating training today. It wasn't a big deal to me but the dog reacted to the scenery like we were in a completely different location and I had to start by identifying the pile and running a session at 40 yards max. Finally this afternoon I got him stretched out to about 100 yards again. Hopefully tomorrow won't be too windy with the cold temps so we can get back out and get back to where we need to be.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:16 pm

didnt have alot of time today to train so went a ran a 3 cold blinds all crossing a road one square to the road and the other 2 angled to the road. not bad had some no goes for some reason but we will see if my corrections made a differance tomorrow cause i plan on going and running a couple of marks and blinds in a new field.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:31 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:didnt have alot of time today to train so went a ran a 3 cold blinds all crossing a road one square to the road and the other 2 angled to the road. not bad had some no goes for some reason but we will see if my corrections made a differance tomorrow cause i plan on going and running a couple of marks and blinds in a new field.

maybe she knows she isn't supposed to cross the road with out looking both ways first!! LOL
frydaddy
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:47 pm

krazybronco, using the road as a distraction is a good idea, especialy for hunt test people. you never know when there will be a ranch road however small it might be at a test. my retriever club went and trained at a facility that had removed an old fence but not the posts. it was obvious who the hunting dogs where because each one checked up or completely stopped as they approached and then continued while the dogs who only run test and field trials never lost a step as they went passed the posts. we have a lot of hog wire fences here in tx and trust me a hunting dog learns what a fence row is quick.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:16 pm

frydaddy wrote:krazybronco, using the road as a distraction is a good idea, especialy for hunt test people. you never know when there will be a ranch road however small it might be at a test. my retriever club went and trained at a facility that had removed an old fence but not the posts. it was obvious who the hunting dogs where because each one checked up or completely stopped as they approached and then continued while the dogs who only run test and field trials never lost a step as they went passed the posts. we have a lot of hog wire fences here in tx and trust me a hunting dog learns what a fence row is quick.

i dont mind a dog stopping at a fence or slowing down cause it could save the dogs life but i try and add as many distractions to any blind i can.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:34 pm

totally agree!! and no one said anything was bad about the dogs doing it that day, it was just something we all noticed. because it wasn't one dog that did it. they didnt need any corrections they just slowed looking for the wire and went on when they realized there wasn 't anything there to go under.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:37 am

this morning ran a mama papa double with a blind through the area of the fall of the go bird. everything was going good pretty good (someone doesn't like frozen ducks bad mouth habits) until we got to the area of the fall on the blind and then she didn't want to handle at all. so brought her in and sent her from the area of the fall and then from the line and she did perfect. so took and put her up set up again and threw the mark again and the blind. got some more work to do with her to get her handling better on cold blinds with marks and I think the only way to do that is to keep throwing marks and blinds and mixing in the key relationship drill and stretching her out. cause today the marks were around 75 yards and the blind was just under 140yards.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Little chilly out today at -3 with -16 wind chills but we managed to get out and run a TT session. Finally have a full field to run it and straight back pile is ~125 yards. Overs are at about 90 and 30. 20 yards off the line each way. We switched fields so been re teaching it and finally added in the second set of overs today. Went well, there was some minor confusion on one of the far over piles but moved up and simplified it. He's starting to get really jumpy around the line while healing and trying to take off at any sound or hand lining him up. His drive to the piles is great. Better than it has been up to this point. The long back pile seems to have him a little more excited. Going to have a really nice warm up this week (20's-30) into the weekend so hopefully we solidify the TT and can get into some marking more and take a break from drills for a little bit.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Cn44 my dog would have froze to death.

But today went and meet my our trainer and ran a few marks which she smoked and then some water force (got to get this dog doing water blinds) but she is with him for the week cause my work schedule this week won't put me home till 6 when it is getting dark hoping he can fix some of the little things I have messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I'm envious you get to be doing water work! Let alone have soft water. I don't think we will have soft water until middle to late April with the way this weather is.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Water, i'm so envious!
We did have a great training weekend, Sat. was another picnic test tune up with another club. And she ran beautiful.
Today went out to the training grounds and met up with some excellent retriever trainers who let us work with them.
They gave me some great advise on my casting motions, and whistle timing. I could see it help on the next blind run.
The Pearl really held her own for being such a youngster and watching how the master dogs did in the same drills, marks
and blind retrieves. We still have alot of work, but with a excellent student it's so much fun.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:45 am

cn44 wrote:I'm envious you get to be doing water work! Let alone have soft water. I don't think we will have soft water until middle to late April with the way this weather is.

im in the south we dont get the fozen water but one or twice a year at the most and it is small bodies of water. but our summers get pretty nasty and make it hard to train alot of dogs or do very many big setups
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Finished up with TT today. Going to take a break for a couple days and get my homemade wingers finished up. Have electronics in the mail right now. And run marks for a while. Then we'll get started on pattern blinds.
cn44
hunter

Postby RCLCJR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Currently on day 3 of pattern blinds. So far so good. I think he is starting to understand what I am asking of him as far as pattern blinds go. probably going to spend a couple of weeks on this to make sure there is no doubt before we move to cold blinds. Bitter cold outside but he doesn't seem to mind it. We train at the lake and it's hard enough keeping him out of the water to focus.
RCLCJR
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:04 pm

cn44 wrote:Finished up with TT today. Going to take a break for a couple days and get my homemade wingers finished up. Have electronics in the mail right now. And run marks for a while. Then we'll get started on pattern blinds.

did you do any disiplined casting?
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:23 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
cn44 wrote:Finished up with TT today. Going to take a break for a couple days and get my homemade wingers finished up. Have electronics in the mail right now. And run marks for a while. Then we'll get started on pattern blinds.

Yes I did. He took that very well. Like I had mentioned in earlier posts, we ran TT in a different field at 60-70 yard back pile (that's all the room we had) and had gotten through everything great including disciplined casting. After we had a new field open up I moved him there so we could stretch out the TT work to around 120 yard back pile. So we didn't spend a whole lot of time doing TT in this new field, just proofing everything and getting him stretched out.
cn44
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Went back to using treats for sit the last few days and Nelli caught on pretty quick. Hopefully we can get down finished soon too.

Did a little big of retrieving outside today and she did pretty good. Tried to run past me with the bumper a few times though but I reeled her in or caught her and praised. She has picked the bumper up and dropped it a few times and walked off before though. What should I do when she does this? Wait a few minutes then go get it and try again?

Last edited by ChasinTail on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:02 am

Chasin Tail, at her age the attention span isn't very long. I would give her a retrieve then let her party around sniffing mice holes,
chasing her tail even if thats what shes into. Then get her excited again with a bumper and retoss it. Just keep her attitude excited for the bumper and when she drops it let her play for a few then refocus. Perfection is along ways away, make it fun and don't allow any bad habits to form. Your doing good with that using a check cord. 1 good retrieve is better than 4 bad ones at this age.
On a side note we get to run in some retriever racing this weekend. This should be fun! They get 3 single marks, then the times are added together to find the winner. The way i see it even if we suck it's 3 more marks for her to run.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:03 am

cn44 wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:

Yes I did. He took that very well. Like I had mentioned in earlier posts, we ran TT in a different field at 60-70 yard back pile (that's all the room we had) and had gotten through everything great including disciplined casting. After we had a new field open up I moved him there so we could stretch out the TT work to around 120 yard back pile. So we didn't spend a whole lot of time doing TT in this new field, just proofing everything and getting him stretched out.

gotcha just didnt remember reading anything about disiplined casting.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 am

i havent had my pup for the last week had to work a weird schedule. but called the trainer yesterday to see how she did before we got a nasty ice storm. and as much as i couldnt get her going in water on water blinds he said she did perfect and was flying into water and did 2 really nice water blinds. then he ran some land blinds later and said she needed some work but with alot of attrition she did nicely and planning on going and meeting with him today to train her and i will pick her up sat at the club training day.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:01 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:Chasin Tail, at her age the attention span isn't very long. I would give her a retrieve then let her party around sniffing mice holes,
chasing her tail even if thats what shes into. Then get her excited again with a bumper and retoss it. Just keep her attitude excited for the bumper and when she drops it let her play for a few then refocus. Perfection is along ways away, make it fun and don't allow any bad habits to form. Your doing good with that using a check cord. 1 good retrieve is better than 4 bad ones at this age.
On a side note we get to run in some retriever racing this weekend. This should be fun! They get 3 single marks, then the times are added together to find the winner. The way i see it even if we suck it's 3 more marks for her to run.

Spry

I hear you. I'm gonna go back to tossing toys in the house and keeping it fun. Going to stop taking it away from her when she returns with it and using some of Pat Nolan's treat training methods to get her to retrieve to hand rather than running to me but away from me with it. She does love to retrieve though. She turned 13 weeks yesterday.

Today she responded to down for the first time without me having to push her back down or putting the treat near the floor. I know it's a small thing but man that's a great feeling seeing your pup learn.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:08 am

ChasinTail, don't reward the retrieve with a treat. Unlike other parts of training the reward for a retrieve is getting the bird, bumper, etc. just give her tons of praise and be really upbeat when she brings it back. Treats work great for obedience but can cause some problems with retrieving if you supplement with treats.
cn44
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum