Killing Poison Ivy help

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Killing Poison Ivy help

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 am

I am deathly allergic AND I am a landscaper during the summer.
Who's got the magic juice to exterminate this crap and NOT what's around it?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Killing Poison Ivy help

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:14 pm

My parents use a this product: http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/77-488-brush-killer/ortho-brush-b-gon-poison-ivy-killer-274241.aspx

Roundup makes a product that works too.

Now, what to do when you think you have been exposed...
I was in The Boy Scouts, went to summer camp and on the list of required things to take was this: http://www.felsnaptha.com/

The naptha takes the poison oil away. (It's good soap too!) My wife is very allergic to poison ivy and can get it from walking by a fire that has some poison ivy on a log (the smoke) or brushing up against the dog that has been exposed etc.

Good luck. This info should help. :welcome:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby alanwebfoot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:05 pm

wear rubber gloves ,,chop off the vine let the sap run paint the end of the stump liberally with pure bleach it will feed down into the roots and kill everything or else buy a goat ,on second thought bleach is easier on you and your sanity
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:27 am

I've used the Ortho stuff and can say it works well.
If there is any "Chickweed" or "Touch Me Not",growing in your area you should consider sqeezing the clear juice from the stalks.When applied to skin after exposure to poison ivy it can reduce or even elimnate the rash,if applied soon enough(within a few minutes).Its also good on itchy or irritated skin.
Best thing to wear if working around poison ivy would be a tyvec coveralls like painters wear to keep paint off them,along with good rubber gloves.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 pm

My sons are allergic to poison ivy. Once I got them trained to get out of their clothes immediately from being around it and take a hot shower with Dawn soap their outbreaks ocurred less. We have also been working with a pharmacist on a system to prevent the reactions and it appears to be working. So maybe someday it will hit the stores for everybody :thumbsup:

Poison ivy killers work well. Identify and stay upwind of the crap helps a lot also. I'm glad I don't get that junk, hope you find a way to deal with it :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:09 am

I've been using a blue bottle from Lowes made by Bayer (aspirin)
It is very PI specific, even if it's growing inside a plant you want to keep
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:19 am

The Brush B Gon is a brand name of the active ingredient Triclopyr which is also marketeted under the names Garlon, Crossbow, Turflon, Remedy as well as others. Since you are in the landscape business, you can find it much cheaper (larger quantities) under those names than the Ortho Brush B Gon. Be aware that Triclopyr is a woody plant herbicide and will kill any trees, shrubs and broadleaf weeds that it contacts on its leaves or cuts in the basal stem. Be careful. It is especially effective in treating a cut down hardwood tree to keep it from sprouting back from the stump.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:50 am

Does this stuff kill it for the season or eliminate it all together? We live on a dead end are infested. PI plants 12 feet tall with a stump like your calf. :fingerhead:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Best way to kill them is to cut the trunk (all the way if you can and aren't afraid of the drift of the moisture from the sap) and then spray with Garlon, Arsenal or Round-up. All of these are systemic, meaning they will attack and kill the roots. Each one, if sprayed on the leaves will also intake the herbicide thru absorption during photosynthesis and will kill the root and obviously the plant. One of the problems with poison ivey is that the leaves are slick and the herbicides have a tendency to run off and are less effective than if a basal stump application were administered. A suffactant added to the herbicide mixture aids in the adhesion of the chemicals to the leaf.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:10 pm

There is a chemical called Encore that will kill poison ivy, oak, and smac with no problem. A little pricey but well worth the expense. Kills plant, roots, and all.
adustydawg
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Encore, similar to 2-4-D, will kill broadleafs and will not harm your grasses.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Game on!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Hey, I bet all of those products work great at the Jr High dance.

When you are done messing around and want to go to Senior Prom, this is what you use to kill posin ivy (and hedge and sumac and lespedesia, and sunflowers and clover and weeds and anything BUT grass)

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/pasturegard.htm

I don't know if you can get it in New York. But if you can, this is what you want...DEAD RIGHT NOW

Follow the application guide carefully, and do not get it in your eyes or on your clothes/skin.

I have been very impressed with the job it did on the mess I had growing.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Stalkin me Tom?
Where'd you buy it?
Tx
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Hey Tomkat, Encore is not for the weenie grade poison ivy, sumac, or poison oak weed killer. This stuff is extremely potent and does a great job on even kudzu. Been using it for many years. Will say that if you can mix it with HOT water it seems to work better. No weak stuff with Encore! :bow: :thumbsup: :welcome:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby lilscrappy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:03 am

ahm...... hi Dogman
IT is iffective???
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.
Colin Powell's game knives
lilscrappy
Newb

Postby Jeebies » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:15 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Best way to kill them is to cut the trunk (all the way if you can and aren't afraid of the drift of the moisture from the sap) and then spray with Garlon, Arsenal or Round-up. All of these are systemic, meaning they will attack and kill the roots. Each one, if sprayed on the leaves will also intake the herbicide thru absorption during photosynthesis and will kill the root and obviously the plant. One of the problems with poison ivey is that the leaves are slick and the herbicides have a tendency to run off and are less effective than if a basal stump application were administered. A suffactant added to the herbicide mixture aids in the adhesion of the chemicals to the leaf.

This is the way.

A couple drops of dawn dish detergent really helps break the waxy cuticle of the leaf.

Big vines with large stalks are easier to kill than the tiny seedlings that pop up everywhere.
Jeebies
Newb

Return to Conservation/Biology