Best decoy spread for MS?

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Best decoy spread for MS?

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:44 pm

It's time again to buy some more decoys.. Last year I had 8 mallards, 2 teal, and 2 pintail.. it seemed to work alright. But what's the best spread for MS? I was thinking about just getting a dozen mallards and 6 wood ducks to throw to the spread.. Thanks for any help!
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

Re: Best decoy spread for MS?

Postby Luladucks1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Seems to me that the bigger the spread, the more ducks we shoot. Been setting out about 150 mallards.
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor

Postby duckman27 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:49 pm

It all depends on where you're hunting, how many ducks there are around, and what kind of ducks they are. When I would hunt fields in the delta I would put out a bigger spread with gadwall, wigeon, pintails, mallards and teal and have them spread out in groups but in the timber I would put out very few decoys and they were primarily woodies. If I was still there and hunted the delta I would buy a dozen or so spoonie decoys since the delta is overrun with them and they look very natural
duckman27
hunter

Postby gon2sledge » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:37 pm

we use a good bit of shovelers and pintails and it seems to work out pretty well
gon2sledge
hunter

Postby jellett13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 pm

Shovelers been making a pretty big difference in the delta. Started killing a lot more when we put those in the spreads
jellett13
hunter

Postby yellowdog87 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Noticed the same thing this year, we lease some ground around sledge and the shovlers were thick as thieves, I've started painting some of my hot buy mallards into shovlers to add some more color to the spread
yellowdog87
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:08 pm

best thing to do is wutever ducks you see put the same decoys out and make it look as close to how they looked when you go scouting and find them
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting