habitat

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

habitat

Postby charliemartin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:17 pm

I know how easy it is to pour out corn to animals and I've read a ton about drained and flooded flatbottom "ponds" but has anyone attempted or had any luck planting in and on the banks of existing "real" ponds? I've got about 40 acres of water with varying conditions( open, wooded, lily padded, etc.). It's naturally ducky, hell it looks like duck paradise, but i want to plant some banks and flats when the water drops. Any tips/ suggestions?
charliemartin
Newb

Re: habitat

Postby Dep6 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Japanese millet will come up pretty easy and with the weather like it currently is I bet that pond of yours is going to drop. I would be ready with the seed and get it planted when it does drop.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby camarine » Tue May 01, 2012 3:51 am

camarine
hunter

Postby charliemartin » Tue May 01, 2012 7:15 am

This is a 4 pond system that is irrigated out of every summer. Its fed by two branches so it has no problem returning to good levels in the late summer and fall. That was pretty much my plan. Let it drop, plant everything exposed, and let it come back up. Ive read some bad reviews about the particular mixture that you suggested, Im thinking I'll come out better buying from my local feed n seed.
charliemartin
Newb

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting