Thinking of switching my annual trip dates- input wanted

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Thinking of switching my annual trip dates- input wanted

Postby rucker » Sun May 06, 2012 1:02 pm

From NC and have been hunting with a group in NoDak for many years. We hunt in the northern part of the state have our program really dialed in. We have always gone the week after opening day for NR and had great success pretty much every year. However we are of course shooting a lot of resident brown birds at that time and are thinking about mixing it up this year and pushing the trip back to mix it up a bit.

Reading reports from last year in general it looks to me like opening week was pretty good, then there was a lull for several weeks after that, then it heated up big time the last week of Oct/first week of Nov. Is this pretty typical or just isolated to last year? t Last year was really warm so not sure how much that may play into it. We would like to hopefully get some colder weather and shoot more migratory birds, but some in the group are nervous about messing with a known good thing. I am pushing to switch the trip to the the last week before deer season comes in but am nervous about the fallout should this year fall short of what we have done. We will definitely go before deer season but there is a fear of showing up when resident birds are gone and migrators still arent there in great numbers. If the two choices were Oct 2-7th or Oct 30th-Nov 3rd which would you do? Any general thoughts on this are appreciated from people who hunt up there all season.
rucker
hunter

Re: Thinking of switching my annual trip dates- input wanted

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Fri May 11, 2012 12:02 pm

The only thing to worry about is an early freeze up. It hasn't really happened in recent years but YOU NEVER KNOW when mother nature calls it quits for the northern part of the state.

Late October is a safer bet then early November.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby rucker » Wed May 23, 2012 8:28 pm

thanks...looks like we are gonna lock in the 19-24th of Oct. We'll see.
rucker
hunter

Postby grey duck » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:04 pm

SC hunter here. I like late oct early nov. Northern birds with more plumage.
grey duck
hunter

Postby obx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:48 pm

grey duck wrote:SC hunter here. I like late oct early nov. Northern birds with more plumage.

that is when I like to go too. however those weeks are full moon this year, which I like to avoid.
obx
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting