What about an AK-47 as a defense gun?

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Postby bubba1 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Thinking about buying an ak-47 as a home defense / just in case gun.

Looked at them at fleet farm and Gander, seems most are around $450, with some more expensive ones on gun broker.

Thoughts/advice would be appreicated.

Thanks
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Re: What about an AK-47 as a defense gun?

Postby TomKat » Mon May 07, 2012 5:42 am

They kept the communist safe for many years...

But if I wanted a TRUE home defense gun, I would get a tactical shotgun with a big magazine. In urban situations, you always have to think about penetration. If you spray and pray at a burglar and one of your bullets goes through the wall and kills a neighbor, you will be charged with manslaughter, at least.

If you want to get one and need an excuse, home defense is as good as any.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby La. Hunter » Mon May 07, 2012 5:56 am

Fun gun to have, but not for home defense! We had training videos of the AK shooting through old telephone poles and concrete cinder blocks behind the telephone poles. This is definitely not something I want to have to shoot off in the house.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Re: What about an AK-47 as a defense gun?

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:15 pm

My current home defense gun (s) are 1: Rem. 870 20 gauge witha 21" bbl, cyl choke and loaded with 5, 2 3/4", #3 buck loads and/or high brass #4 lead loads. I have a SureFire mod 6P with a grip switch and its got a Knoxx Spec opps NRS stock with the side saddle modified to take 20 gauge rounds. The light is mounted so the beam hits the same poi as the micro dot sight that's mounted to the receiver. It will FILL a hallway at about 25-30 feet with the #4 shot but not over-penetrate, risking collateral hits outside the dwelling, ensuring a hit, even if I jerk the shot. My BACKUP gun is the XD .40 in the safe just under the head of the bed. I say backup because imo and experience, nothing is more effective for home defense if you actually need to use it than a shotgun. Compact, reliable, POWERFULL and easy to use under stressfull situations...not to mention that oh $#!t??!! factor when an intruder hears the pump being worked on a shotgun. I see some folks say it won't matter but every single bad guy I ever talked to said he thought about putting up a fight until he saw that shotgun come out... :bow:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum