Hand Flags

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Hand Flags

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:53 am

Does any one use flags. I would like to make a pair of hand flags out of 2'x2' nylon non glare or even black canvas. I have not goose hunted but remember my uncle and his buddies used them.

I saw the T flags that look like akite on a stick and was just looking to add movement. I can wave the flags heavy when they are far and fluttler them when they get closer. The 3' sticks for hand flags seem to apeal to me for storage and I don't like to try new stuff as most of it is no better than the old stuff.

Ideas and thoughts?
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vanvo » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:33 am

i had a string o wings and i got rid of those for a flag. the flag works well at great distances but when they start coimng our way we drop them slowly. i would recomend a flag.
vanvo
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:57 am

making a flag is very easy.....and does not have to fancy or expensive.....a square (18"x18") of black cottoncanvas duck material will work well....use either a wooden dowel or a fiberglass pole (I cut down a rod used for bicycle flag)......an alternative would be a square of ripstop nylon
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Goose flags

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:17 pm

I all ready bought some black duck cotton. I hope it works on geese too! :tounge: Just kidding.

I was planning on makking 2x2 flags on 1/2" oak dowels. Any one have any advice on making and using them? Good articles on the net?

Wave wild when they are far and very little or naught when there close?

Rob
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:28 pm

We usually wave like a maniac when they are far away, as soon as they turn or see you, we slowly put it away. IMO you should never use it when they are close.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Close on flags

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:44 am

I had thought to put a goose shell right behind my head when I an laying on the ground and extrend my arms back to make it look like his wings flapping when they got close. You think its bad or might make them flare?
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:06 pm

Stick w/ flagging. If you put black sleeves over your arms - maybe. But extending a pole w/ the homemade flag on it is the best way to go. It can get a large, distant flock to check out your spread. Works well in the late season, too, when any kind of movement in the dekes is absolutely necessary.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Hand flags

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:49 pm

My wife finished the flags for me. They are 2' x 2' on 3' long 1/2" oak dowels. I am trying to track a few more farmers down to get in where these resident geese are feeding during the day. The pond owner like the over 300 geese on his pond. I guess he does not walk down there much. I wish I break them up on that pond and break their routine.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Drew Willemsen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:29 am

I had a good flaggin' experience last goose hunt. I was hunting a plowed corn field and the birds just were not lookin too much, I needed to flag them so I checked my flag den and all that was in there was my snow goose flag, so what did I do? I took off my long sleeved black tee shirt and put it on the snow goose flag and let er rip....it was all it took to have honkers locked for the rest of the night..... :thumbsup:
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby Quackkills9 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:15 am

good thinkin' Drew... flagging is one of the important thing to me during a goose hunt and i have really good success using the T Flag during goose hunting.. you should get yourself one if you dont have one, you will be grateful to have one. :smile:
"Get Down and Cover Up!" -Tim Grounds
"In Yo' Face!"
"My Retriever is Smarter than Your Honor Student!"
Quackkills9
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:38 am

Flag like crazy when they are far away. When they see the motion, you will know. They will turn and head your way. At that point, I like to work the flag from high to low, like a goose landing. Once they start getting close, put down the flag and grab the gun!
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby MinnDuck » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:22 am

I have tended to agree with flag like hell when they are far away and not as much when they are close, we have been late season goose hunting all week in Minnesota and the geese are pretty skiddish and a lot of them are either flarring at the decoys or just skirting out at about 80 yards. Last night we sat in our layouts and flagged right up until we pulled the shotguns out and they geese were sitting right in out dekes. For whatever reason the wingwavers were not getting the job done, but the last minute flagging really helped. I am not saying it will always work but we were frusterated and we adapted and that is what worked for us last night, We willl see what happens tonight?
MinnDuck
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:14 pm

Flags are great. I strongly reccomend them. It will usually turn gees that are well over a hundred yards away. One time I was hunting with two other guys and we had a spread of 4 dozen shells and just about 400yrd away some other hunters set up and had a spread of about 120-150 decoys. Every flock that came by that day came the north and had to go over their spread to get to ours. The geese would show them intrest untill we started flagging and they would immedatly leave them and come to us. So i would strongly recommend using a flag.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:39 pm

after i saw there potential this fall when i was with mallard hunter and we turned a flock of geese bout 1/2 - 1 mile away and brought them in for a look.
duckbuster
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum