HELP: Beretta A400 vs. Benelli Super Vinci...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: HELP: Beretta A400 vs. Benelli Super Vinci...

Postby SAHunter1983 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Doc,
If you shoot one and you wont look back... I Shot 2 boxes of Kent 3-1/2" 1 3/8 oz BB 1550fps, 2 Boxes of 3" BC 1 1/4 oz #3 1450fps, 5 boxes Winchester crap 2-3/4" 1 oz #6 steel 1200fps, 2 boxes of Rem Heavy dove 2-3/4" 1 1/8 oz 1290 fps all in one sitting while patterning and testing my A400 out of the box and barely had a red mark on my shoulder afterwards and my head was not ringing like a bell. I fired these all intermixed (dirty and slightly corroded leftovers from past seasons) to see if they would cycle the 3.5's and to see if all of the hype about this shotgun was BS, it wasn't... I had no issues whatsoever with the gun cycling, feeding, recoiling and no no bruises afterwards... I was shocked to say the least. If you are ever in my neck of the woods come try mine. And yes I have shot the Vinci, Super Vinci, Stoeger M2000, SBE2 Performance shop, Browning G & S, and a bunch of others as I was making my decision on my next purchase.
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby ryandir » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 pm

A friend of mine just bought the A400. Hope to have a video up soon of the difference in recoil between the two.
ryandir
hunter

Postby DocBrown » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Which a400 should I be looking at? The unico? The xplor or the xtreme?
DocBrown
Newb

Postby SAHunter1983 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 pm

Xtreme is what I am using... one of the other two you can not add an extended mag tube. Depends on what you would want to use it for.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby ryandir » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:16 pm

So my friend just purchased the A400 xtreme. He took it home, cleaned it, etc. He took it to the trap range and about 7 shells out of 75 gave him problems where after he shot the bolt would not come back all the way.

He was using the 1-1/8oz , 2-3/4 dram which was giving me the same problem on my super vinci.

With the 3 dram shells there is no issue. I'm surprised when he told me that this was happening.
ryandir
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Did he break it in at all or just open the box of 1 1/8oz up and go to town. He may try cleaning all excess oil off of the piston and other parts, make sure when he cleaned it the first time he put everything together properly and make sure the gas ports from the barrel didn't catch a wad piece or part of a cleaning patch. The Xtreme likes to run fairly dry. Fyi I broke mine in with heavier trash loads first and have had no problems after, I used 3-4 boxes of 3" shells then dropped down to 1oz steel Winchester cheapo rounds... I have also seen people who don't mount the gun properly who have a fail to fully eject on the last shell basically a stovepipe but not quite the 3 1/2s we were using caught on front and back exiting the chamber like they had hulls that were too long... again only on the last round with a new shooter who did not have the gun into his shoulder fully. He may have received a lemon. It happens. Good luck hope something above helps your friend.

SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby ryandir » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Yeah I told he should go through a few boxes of the 3" and 3.5" to work it in like I did with my super vinci. I was just surprised that he had to do the same break in as mine even though he has a gas powered gun.
ryandir
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:36 pm

It didn't take much of a break in for mine but like i said it could be blockage in the gas system, put the gas ring in backwards, a long spring, break in or just a lemon although i would try the simple fixes first.

SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Last edited by DuckmanOK on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:17 am

Just put 200 rounds of mixed 1 1/8 target/clay bird loads through my A400 Xtreme, some Winchester, Federals, and Remingtons.
Ran into one issue with a Federal round splitting in two on firing it, but that wasn't the A400's fault.
I could easily have asked for another 200 rounds to shoot, but the daylight ran out.
I generally do a light clean-up on the action and take off the barrel to clean and oil the rails every 300-400 rounds.
Old school I guess, but I like to hear it go "BANG" every time.
I sold an SBEII to get my A400 Xtreme, and the idea of ever looking back is a real laugher. The swelling in my middle 'Bird' has finally gone down, and it has yet to feel so much as a gentle nudge from the trigger guard on the A400 with any load.
The world really turned when I made that switch.
The A400 is like that first 'Perfect Love'.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Good luck with your new gun purchase, have you made a move yet?

I deliberated all winter and bought the Benelli Vinci in March. I just couldn't justify the extra $400 for 3.5 inch capability, even for honkers. One of my best hunting buddies is about to buy a super vinci, so I may come to regret that....

Right after I bought it I went and shot 2 rounds of sporting clays with it and I shot the best round of my life the very first time out with it. I was with 2 buddies who were having issues with their SX3s, and they ended up shooting my brand new vinci all day with me. So, we put 300 or so rounds of cheap target shells through it and it didn't skip a beat. Also patterned it with several types of shells and my patternmaster extended choke seems to be a good fit for this gun.

It's maiden voyage was a spring snow goose trip this April, and I put about 7 boxes of Winchester Xpert Steel 1550fps 1 1/4oz #2s through it and had no problems.

What sold me on the vinci was how easy it is to take apart and how it shouldered for me. I shot almost all of the new autoloaders at a demo event and the benelli just fit me better than the others.

I will admit that the Berettas shoot softer, but I shot a pump for 10 years before ponying up for a semi....so they all feel soft. Buy the one that fits YOU the best, don't listen to all the haters/critics. Oh, last thing....Mag extenders are hard to find for the vinci, if that matters to you. The only one I could find was $250 and takes 10 weeks for delivery. Good luck!
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Beretta and benelli are the same company, different name. So your NOT sacrificing quality in either direction. my buddy shoots the super vinci and it is one hell of a gun. He can break clays with it all day long, overall great gun. Im not sure about the a400 since i've never seen/shot one so, i guess ill be a little biased. Id get the benelli. :thumbsup:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 am

I have a Benelli sv and picking up a400 today! Can't go wrong with either IMO. Sx3 and new a5 were looked at too. It's all preference between gas and inertia and who you "talk to swearing" by what they own .
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:34 am

Find a gun that you like and get it is what I learned. Can't wait to take out my original auto 5 this year too!!!! Few months away......
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:Beretta and benelli are the same company, different name. So your NOT sacrificing quality in either direction.

So Stoeger must be of the same quality also.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm

CGSteve wrote:I am shopping for a new rig for the coming season and need some feedback from those in the know.

I have had both on my shoulder and felt them out pretty well, everything short of shooting either...my last step will be feeling them side by side before pulling out the wallet. I love how they both feel.

I am currently shooting a Beretta and have a fondness for them; BUT, I am not against a Benelli either.

Can you folks help me get sorted between these two, one of them is coming home with me in the next month or two. I'd appreciate any feedback, experience, advice, etc.

Neither. Benelli M2 American in all black or Benelli Montefeltro.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:12 pm

g_maxson wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:Beretta and benelli are the same company, different name. So your NOT sacrificing quality in either direction.

So Stoeger must be of the same quality also.

Well, not exactly. Trust me id take the silver pigeon over my longfowler any day of the week. But price also plays a part in the quality you get. Although i haven't had any problems with either of my stoegers, the only reason i own them, is because of the price, and that they're run by beretta. But to answer you directly, No i wouldnt think that stoeger carries the same quality as the other two.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby WalpoleTed » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 am

Longtime lurker here, first post - thought I could contribute to this one . . .

I own both an A400 and a Super Vinci (long story as to why), but here goes . . .

First, the A400: Beretta sem-autos have never fit me well, although the latest A400 wasn't too bad. The recoil was minimal, the bolt operated quickly, and I liked the gun. That being said, I continue to have a lot of cycling issues with all but the stoutest of shells, and cleaning the thing is a real pain. Not as bad as cleaning a 391, but still pretty bad.

Now, the Benelli: Yes it looks a little unusual, but it handles and points very nicely. I find myself reaching for this gun for more than just waterfowl hunting (which was all I ever thought I would use it for). I suppose there is more felt recoil than with the A400 with similar shells, but unless I'm shooting 3.5" shells (which is rare - geese only), the recoil doesn't bother me. the bolt operates kind of slowly, which took a bit of getting used to. It has been absolutely bombproof, and easy to clean. The other day, I shot sporting clays with it, and used 1 oz. Winchester AA target loads, and it cycled perfectly. It is also, thanks to the funky design, a breeze to clean.

Between the two, I find myself reaching for the Benelli much more often, and always for duck hunting, but if I was going to go to the clay range and shoot a high volume of targets, I'd probably opt for the heavier A400.

Edit: I picked the Super Vinci over the regular Vinci for 3.5" capacity, and because everyone was saying that the trigger guard on the Vinci would jam their finger, and that Benelli fixed this with the larger guard on the Super Vinci. Since then, I've shot a regular Vinci, and didn't notice any issues witht he trigger guard. Given how rarely I shoot 3.5" shells, if I had it to do over again, I might have gone with the regular Vinci just to save a few bucks.
WalpoleTed
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:25 am

I have to admit I'm a bit biased.
Went out a few years ago and bought into the hype, and then bought a SBEII.
First shell through the gun was a 2 3/4" dove load. I was surprised about feeling the recoil, even tho shooting at live game. Not that it hurt by any means. I just didn't expect to be aware of it at all.
Next came early season ducks, and 2 3/4" duck loads. Still no problem. Mid way thru the season switched over to 3" shells, and found that there was some discomfort after a box of those, but still doable.
Then went to 3 1/2" loads and there was a decided wallop to the shoulder. Not only that, but after 3 such shells my middle finger was so swollen I didn't even want to shoot any load thru it the rest of that hunt. It affected my shooting terribly, even the memory of it when I was duck hunting with the lightest loads the start of the next season.
Got to where I was slipping small strips of closed cell foam in two fingers of my right hand glove, and that did help, but I knew the gun was already on borrowed time with me.
Got the A400 Xtreme last year and every problem went away. You know you've shot a 3 1/2" shell with it, but no problems doing a box a hunt if I had to, and have at clays.
Any other load thru it is a none event at my end, and 300 clay loads a day is just plain fun.
I'll never own another inertia gun of any brand.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum