What do you guy's think of Hartford or Council grove?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

What do you guy's think of Hartford or Council grove?

Postby topgun splash » Sat May 26, 2012 11:03 pm

So, the wife and I have been considering moving out of Calif. for years, and with the oldest heading to Kansas, we thought we would look around. Been mainly looking at places in Iowa, but found 4 houses in rural area's of Kansas. One is in Council grove, nice place with some acreage, Hartford, with a HUGE pond, Princeton and Fort Scott. Kid's gonna kill us if we even think Kansas, but I say who owns the guns? that's right, I do!

Also, can someone tell me what the property taxes are in Kansas? some places I looked were like 10-12,000 a year. is that true?
If you guy's know any realtors or helpful people in those area's, can you steer me their way. Also what kind of schools, and how they are.

Just looking right now, nothing concrete, but it looks like a great place to live, and since I will be truck driving, I can live anywhere. But would like my wife to have a place to work too, she in housekeeping or retail.

Thanks in Advance!
TopGun
"Western Extreme Waterfowl" Making memories,one shot at a time!
Precision waterfowl calls pro staff
"It's like playin' cards with my Sister's kids, you nerve rackin' son's a bitch's!"
topgun splash
hunter

Re: What do you guy's think of Hartford or Council grove?

Postby mudpack » Sun May 27, 2012 4:26 pm

I moved here after living in San Diego for 30 years. You will be in for some unexpected surprises if you buy a home here.
PM sent.
mudpack
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon May 28, 2012 11:02 pm

topgun splash wrote:So, the wife and I have been considering moving out of Calif. for years, and with the oldest heading to Kansas, we thought we would look around. Been mainly looking at places in Iowa, but found 4 houses in rural area's of Kansas. One is in Council grove, nice place with some acreage, Hartford, with a HUGE pond, Princeton and Fort Scott. Kid's gonna kill us if we even think Kansas, but I say who owns the guns? that's right, I do!

Also, can someone tell me what the property taxes are in Kansas? some places I looked were like 10-12,000 a year. is that true?
If you guy's know any realtors or helpful people in those area's, can you steer me their way. Also what kind of schools, and how they are.

Just looking right now, nothing concrete, but it looks like a great place to live, and since I will be truck driving, I can live anywhere. But would like my wife to have a place to work too, she in housekeeping or retail.

Thanks in Advance!
TopGun

Not really sure what kind of house you are wanting to move into, and that will really dictate what your taxes are. However, I can say this. Grove is a nice little town with a lot of history. It is about 20 minutes from Manhattan where I grew up. It is within a short drive of Topeka and a couple hours from Kansas City. If you want the small town feel with a larger city close, this is a pretty good place. The wife would also have pretty good job prospects. I worked just north of Princeston and have spent a lot of time in the town. I love Ottawa Kansas which is about 5 minutes to the north. Princeston is really convienently located and within an hour drive of kansas city, topeka and lawrence. Also a few trucking companies run out of ottawa so job propsects would be good for you, and its proximity to the bigger cities would make good job prospects for the wife. Fort Scott I would shy away from . I live 20 min south of Ft Scott and have never cared for it.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby cyoung24 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:58 pm

T Man wrote:Fort Scott I would shy away from . I live 20 min south of Ft Scott and have never cared for it.

I too lived south of Ft Scott for 8 years and called on accounts in Ft Scott for 3 years. There is little to no good work there and many of the people there leave a lot to be desired. Between the meth heads and wannbe cowboys from rodeo school that would fight a child if it looks at them wrong. There's a lot of undesirable people but some good people too. Maybe the bad ones followed me around. There are a couple good things though. They do have a chinese buffet that had the best pepper chicken, I've yet to find any close to it. It is also within about an hours drive of 2 good duck refuges in Kansas and 1 biggie in Missouri. I love southeast kansas and wish I didn't have to move away but there is a real lack of work down there. I would just shy away from Ft Scott there are lots of other good places to live down there. If you have any questions about southeast kansas all the way up to Kansas City shoot me a pm I've been to and called on or call on now every little town down there.
Last edited by cyoung24 on Tue May 29, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:sniper: :evilbanana:
cyoung24
hunter

Postby topgun splash » Tue May 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've gotten quite a few P.M.'s about different area's, all very good, And guess it will take a trip out there. I'm not worried about work for myself, as I've mentioned I will be truck driving, so I can do that from anywhere. It's the schools, and a small job for the wife that I'm interested in.

The hunting it seems is everywhere, and here in Calif. we drive 2, 3, sometimes 4 to 5 hrs. to good spots when the birds are in. kinda stoked about the speck populations, thought I would be missing that, but it seems there's good opportunity for that too.

We will be out there between Aug 17th and the 22nd, so time will tell. Also going up to Iowa to look at a few places the in the south-southwest corner. Can't have it perfect anywhere, and the methheads are easy to deal with, we have them here too, by the dozens... we just roll them in a ditch! LOL Nobody misses them.

I look forward to meet some of you guy's on the run back there, P.M. me some numbers, and what town you live in, it's getting hard to keep track who's who.

Thanks!
Steve
"Western Extreme Waterfowl" Making memories,one shot at a time!
Precision waterfowl calls pro staff
"It's like playin' cards with my Sister's kids, you nerve rackin' son's a bitch's!"
topgun splash
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting