Bowfishing slingbow SUCCESS!!!

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Bowfishing slingbow SUCCESS!!!

Postby jamesmc » Mon May 28, 2012 9:52 am

It is official. The slingbow works. I had to do several mods and a lot of trial and error before I could make it work. I started out with a $15 wallyworld sling shot. Bent the arms out, added 40lb bands, built a rest and fishing reel seat and finally added a bow string (made of paracord) and "D" loop so I can shoot my release. Here are the spoils for the evening....

First fish was an 18 inch gar followed by a nice 10lb buffalo. Several more gar, a spoonbill and I stuck it out for a nice 30lb bighead. The final tally was 8 gar, 1 buffalo, 1 spoonbill, 3 silvers and a bighead!!

Here are a few pics......

The "d" loop i made

Some "hero" shots
James McElfresh
Member DU
DU commitee member
Muscatatuck chapter

[quote="CLUTCHfan"]I'm a back-up dancer for Britney Spears. I've had ALOT of time off. quote]
jamesmc
Forum Moderator

Re: Bowfishing slingbow SUCCESS!!!

Postby kyoutdooraddict » Wed May 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Thats awesome man! Been telling my buddies bout how im gunna start shooting a slingshot instead of bow and they think I'm crazy! Obviously it works. You shooting down at KY lake? I shoot up here round Louisville. You need to get on bow.fishingcountry.com if you are not already on there. I'm sure the guys on that forum would thoroughly enjoy your new toy!
Take nothing but pictures... leave nothing but footprints... kill nothing but ducks, deer, turkeys, rabbits, quail, doves, carp, gar, coyotes, hogs...
kyoutdooraddict
hunter

Postby jamesmc » Wed May 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Yeah it wa below the dam on ky. I'm a member on tha site but I haven't ever posted there that I can remember. I never even thought about posting those pics there. I'll have to do that.
James McElfresh
Member DU
DU commitee member
Muscatatuck chapter

[quote="CLUTCHfan"]I'm a back-up dancer for Britney Spears. I've had ALOT of time off. quote]
jamesmc
Forum Moderator

Postby mox » Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 pm

I read your original post about the "sling bow" as you call it and have been waiting on some good field data. Looks like you're on to something. I'm thinking that contraption would be pretty handy on small rivers in small boats. I've got a 12' kayak that I may have to try one of those in... prostaff opportunity?

PS - You'd better get an investor to back you and get those things on the market and patented. Real talk.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby jamesmc » Thu May 31, 2012 6:16 am

I wish this was an original idea but it isn't. This is just my take on the contraption. A buddy was telling me about them and I looked them up on youtube. There are a couple of companies that make them but for a hefty price tag. I made this one for about $50. The factory ones are upwards around $250. This one performed awesome but I have been tweeking on it for several weeks. With different bands, with and without a "d" loop. I am going to put some higher lb bands on it next. Right now my shot is about 10'. I want to be able to extend it out to 15-20 feet for the bigheads. I'll keep updating. Im going again in about a week. I'll have some more pics!!

James
James McElfresh
Member DU
DU commitee member
Muscatatuck chapter

jamesmc
Forum Moderator

Postby kyoutdooraddict » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 am

Def no slingshot kills here, but a decent night out on the water this past Wednesday night.
IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG
Take nothing but pictures... leave nothing but footprints... kill nothing but ducks, deer, turkeys, rabbits, quail, doves, carp, gar, coyotes, hogs...
kyoutdooraddict
hunter

Postby mox » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm

nice mess there. I was paddlin' yesterday and thought how much cooler things would be with a slingbow... gars everywhere in little river.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 am

Out on the river again yesterday thinking about the slingbow... I've decided to get in the game. Can you post your own 'how-to' on how you made yours? or do you recommend a certain youtube vid for guidelines?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby jamesmc » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:16 pm

There are a few pics and how to in the archery section here on DHC. I posted up some pics of the progress. I'll get some more up when I get my computer fixed. I'm on the back up now and I can't upload pics on it.

Thanks,

James
James McElfresh
Member DU
DU commitee member
Muscatatuck chapter

jamesmc
Forum Moderator

Postby kyoutdooraddict » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 am

good night!
IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG
kyoutdooraddict
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting