Duck Hunting Forum banner

Game and Parks Survey

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  husker_hunter 
#1 ·
Did anybody else get the game and parks survey in the mail the last three weeks asking about your input on the duck season dates? I got mine this last week and was surprised with it. I hope they end up pushing the season back a little. Usually it ends in the lower region on the first of Jan. Now maybe it will go till the middle or end of Jan. To me it seems the birds aren't around here in great numbers till then anyway. I'm from south central NE and hunt the Platte.

Any one have any thoughts in this??

#3 ·
I guess I like to hunt the big ducks more than the teal or woodies. Thats why I would prefer a later regular duck season cause they are in greater numbers come December and January. Again this is just my opinion. I hunt what would be the new zone 3 from kearney west to cozad.

#4 ·
Teal like the slews which freeze really early. If we have a cold fall I could be frozen out by mid November. I've mostly hunted the slews since I didn't have a dog or boat, so I was confined to an area I could walk through to set up decoys and retrieve birds myself. I now have a dog that I am training so I should be able to start hitting up some of the other regions. I'll probably make or buy a duck boat in the next year or two and then should be good to hunt anywhere around.

#5 ·
I hunt the Platte River by Schuyler I would like to hunt all of Oct. the NGAPS studies show that the peek migration is in Oct.not Jan.and we are lucky to have open water the first part of Dec. let a lone in Jan.DU's Director of Conservation Scott Yaich warns that pushing seasons later could have a detrimental effect on ducks as a whole many duck species have developed pair bonds in January.Disrupting those pair bonds could mean fewer ducklings on the nesting grounds in spring. I hope the Game & Parks do there home work before they give the 1% there January season most of the hunters around here want Oct. not Jan. for us and the ducks

#6 ·
I'm in the new 3 on the East side of the state and I voted for an early Oct start too. I think the 6th was my top choice. I'd love to get into big numbers of mallards but its such a crap shoot hoping for the weather to push them down but leave our water open. I'd rather be able to take a crack at all the ducks that are here now than to watch an early freeze push them all out of town. What did you guys vote for Teal? I went with the weekend after Labor Day

#7 ·
I went for Labor day to but I don't think they will go on that date ever one around here want it move back it is there last big party weekend on the river.As for the zone changes Low Plains late now runs all the west where they have a 90 day plus season and they want the season to end on the last day of January and count back starting there season in the last part of October now that we are in the same zone but only get a 74 day season that puts are start date at November 19 on a average year that would be about a 10 to14 day season for us! We will be spending are money in North Dakota if it comes to be!

#8 ·
Will the NGAP post there recommendations for the waterfowler season if you hunt the Platte river like I do it will be a wash for me the guys out west get 23 days in Jan. and we get 11 days in Oct. I think it would be fare if we had 15 days in Oct and they had 15 days in Jan.What do you all think? If we do not get some or a lot of rain soon it could be a short duck season for all of us

#9 ·
Were going to need a wet, wet fall to fill up some of these pot holes out here. 34 days till opening of Early Teal! Booo Ya!! Need to start getting the blind moved into place and get things all covered up with brush. This month will fly by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.