Home-made Ice eater

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Home-made Ice eater

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:00 am

I have a couple old trolling motors and am thinking about trying to convert them into ice-eaters.

They both have 9" props so I'm thinking about mounting one inside of a 10" PVC pipe that's about 18-24 inches long.
Build a stand for it and rig it up with dual batteries so it can run on 24 volts.

Has anyone else build a home-made ice eater? I'd like to compare notes.

Do you think a 4 HP trolling motor would work?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Home-made Ice eater

Postby talltimber » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 am

I have thought about that myself. I didn't want to mess with the batteries though. Was thinking more of a pump ran off a generator and adding a bigger tank if necessary, to run all night
talltimber
hunter

Re: Home-made Ice eater

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:41 pm

This is like asking who killed JFK!!! Many people have built them but they arent saying how they did it!!!!!!!!! Ive seen several post all over the internet asking the same question Some one will post a pic of one they built... Then when someone ask them how they did it they tell them they just have to figure it out!!!!! TOP SECRET INFO

but most of the ones ive seen were built out of trolling motors
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:27 pm

I also have been toying with the idea of running my 5-horse pump as an Ice eater. It's small and somewhat quiet. (It's a Honda)

Was thinking I'd build an intake out of pvc and keep that submerged and run it to the pump. I'd have to figure out a way to filter the water. Then use pvc for the discharge as well so I could bush it down to 1 1/4".(possibly less) This would increase the velocity of the discharge.
aunt betty

Postby woodysniper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:38 pm

You could possibly do something like this guy did. http://iawaterfowlers.com/36712/home-made-ice-eaterIt's an idea that might work, if you don't have a power source or a generator, a solar panel could be the way to go in order to keep your batteries charged. How long do you plan to run it?
Remember to spay and nueter your democrats.
woodysniper
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Just make the Heron run around the pond all night to keep it open.
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:51 pm

This looks very cool.
I suppose I'd have to paint it flat black. :thumbsup:
ice eeter.jpg
aunt betty

Postby goldfish » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 am

Did you rip that off the back end of some kids powerstroke?

goldfish
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 am

We are thinking of building an impoundment here in NC and it would obviously be shallow to accomodate a rice crop. We don't get a whole lot of ice here except very late in the year ( and none this past year). But we were actually thinking of taking an old 9.9 HP outboard tiller steer and mounting some telephone poles in the middle of the water with a cross brace to mount it to and letting it run all night the night before we hunt. Just an idea, probably many more BETTER resolutions out there though.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 am

I started today. It's going to take me a while but here is the beginning.
10" pvc pipe. My brother-in-law the plumber really hooked me up good.
Acorn fuckin around 073.jpg

The next thing I did was to jam the trolling motor housing into a piece of 3" pvc.
First I took the pole off. It unscrews. I JB-Welded the hole so water won't get inside the motor. (Hopefully)
Acorn fuckin around 075.jpg
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 am

The next thing to do is cut that 3" pipe a little shorter. I was pleased when the motor housing actually slid into the pipe and fits nice and tightly.
I plan to use two sets of criss-crossing all-thread rods to hold the 3" pvc inside the 10" one.

I'll make a little hole for the wires and then build a stand out of steel.
Powering it is going to be a choice of a deep-cycle battery or two.
I have a small generator and a twelve-volt power supply. I'm really hoping that the small trolling motor will move enough water. If that don't work I have a much larger one.

The same power could be used for a string-jerk rig I'm working on in my mind.

Looked up ice-eaters and the ones I saw came in 1hp and 3/4hp models. The small trolling motor I have is about that powerful. My big motor is 4. It appears this thing is going to work.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Been thinking all day about how to mount the inner pipe. Decide on drilling holes in outer pipe, tapping threads into them and "pinching" the rig in the center like a Christmas tree stand does.
Two sets of 4 holes and some threaded rods that have nuts on each side of the pipe-wall. Will make it so I can adjust the motor position.

Will work on it tomorrow or Monday and post some more pics.
aunt betty

Postby duckdozer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 pm

keep us updated old trolling motors can be found cheap. I like your ideas, I dont know about threading the pvc tho you might get pissed at it when it strips out in 10 degree weather trying to keep your goose hole open. I would put nuts inside and out that way you can back them out with out losing the bolts and you can tighten it up just put 2 on the outside to make it lock up. Would hate to have the thing drop in the freezing cold water. Make sure to mar the threads, or weld it, on the inside nut so it doesnt come off as well.

here is a pic of what I thought

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 8431 times
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:15 pm

I thought about double-nutting the outside too. If I cut the threaded rod flush with nuts and then spot-weld it I could use them like long bolts. I could just buy 5" bolts special from Fastenal. Still planning.
Trying to be assacheap.
aunt betty

Postby vertical_edge_800 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Im interested to see how this turns out...
2nd Battalion, 1st Marines "The Professionals"
vertical_edge_800
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm

run one whole piece of all thread rod through the ten inch pipe and the three inch one have nuts on the inside of the ten inch pipe to hold the three inch pipe on to the all thread in one position and other ones to hold it in place in the ten inch pipe. Have tow sets of rod on both ends running through the pipes perpindicular it should hold it all together just fine. As for power either batteries that you change out each day you could get some of the big harbor freight solar panels to keep them charged I don't know if they produce enough power or not support the batteries. You could run a 12v power source like a battery charger with a really long extension cord if power is somewhat close. hopefully this drawing makes since its kind of crude but it shows how one rod running through everything could work.
Attachments
ice eater.png
ice eater.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:13 pm

As promised, I worked on the ice-eater today. You know you gotta be a NUT to work on an ice-eater when it's over 90 degrees. Here's some shots that should explain themselves. I decided a triangle pattern for the bolts would be better. (I only had 6 bolts)

The carriage bolts look like Frankenstein. Maybe that's what I'll call it and just leave them like that. :yes:

Next is painting it black and making some kind of stand.
DSCF0602.jpg
DSCF0604.jpg
DSCF0606.jpg
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm

I'll put a 3" cap on the cut end. Left it open so you can see the bolts.
The ice eaters I looked at on-line had the blades close to the end. Not sure why but I put mine the same way.
So far this entire project has cost me a grand total of $2.20.
I been cobbling it together with bits and pieces I find in my hardware hoard. Being a contractor has it's perks.
I dedicate this thread to Assateague. Miss ya buddy.
aunt betty

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:26 pm

I just built on the other day instead of using the three inch pvc. I just welded two nuts onto a flat Piece of steel 1/4 thick 1 inch wide 7 inches long once you have two of these take two pipe clamps and secure them on opposite sides of the motor and run allthread through the sides of the pipe into the nuts and then just wingnut the ends of the allthread. Once you have the parts it takes an hr or so to assemble. But i can tell you now that propellar you have is the same one i have i doesnt push enough water. I picked up the three bladed prop and it works much better. I wish i could use 24 volts without burning up the motor. I have a 101lbs 36v im thinking about making into another
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:33 pm

I have a 4-hp trolling motor. THAT will push water I guarantee!
It's not on this one...next model. I can use 24-volts on that big one.
My BIG trolling motor costed over $400.
This little one was el cheapo.
It's a start.
I have a feeling it's underpowered but will see. For two bucks...

THIS is what I'm trying to make. Notice how small their propeller is.
I think I better test mine out before I tear up a $400 trolling motor making something that's WAY too powerful.
ice_eater.jpg
ice_eater.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 8250 times
aunt betty

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:22 pm

I just put mibe in the pool to test it with a two blade with a more agressive pitch. On a 45lb thrust it pushes water just like the real ice eater
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:10 am

Pretty sweet build AB, I'd like to know how it works. Shoot a video and post it up! :beer:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby goldfish » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:55 pm

What's going to happen when a chunk of ice blocks the front? I don't know how much suction there will be, and at what level it will be in the water, but I would imagine that could get clogged pretty easily without some big mesh block in front of it

goldfish
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I've looked at the advertising for ice-eaters. The pictures I've seen of one in use shows the water 'boiling' at the front. The machine appears to be aimed upwards a bit. The bubbling and boiling creates waves and the wave action is what keeps your duck hole open.

The screen should be on the bottom side to keep stuff from getting into the prop but I don't think it really needs it.
s7_420101_999_alt01_01.jpg
s7_420101_999_alt01_01.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 7933 times
This picture is from an ad for the above ice-eater. I'll test mine in water soon and supply a link to youtube.
Being able to adjust both the angle and height seems like a good idea to incorporate into the stand's design.
Still working on that.
aunt betty

Postby guywithhat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:47 pm

any idear how long she'll run for on a single charge of a marine battery? I've been thinking about building one for some time now... I am guessing when you wired up the motor you scrapped the throttle controls so the motor is gonna be goin full bore
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum