Some light Duplex bird Lead loads

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Some light Duplex bird Lead loads

Postby Duplex lover » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:51 pm

loaded some dove/partridge loads this week . I shot a few on paper and liked what I saw. I didn't count the hits but the density was great and looked like most of the pellets hit inside the 30" target at 40 yards with my 870 and modified choke.
There a 2 3/4 inch Rio hull with a VP13 wad with 24 gr Clays powder Rip-209 primer. One once of #5 and #7 1/2 lead big ones on top.Listed at 8800 psi and 1325 fps. My normal is a 1 3/8 oz with blue dot but looking for something a bit lighter. The recoil was light and feed great I think I'm happy ,now all I need are some pigeons to fly by so I can SEE how they work... :thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Re: Some light Duplex bird Lead loads

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:20 am

Sounds like a very interresting load for upland hunting.

With the large #5 shot , just watch out for your fellow hunters and dogs,since they will carry a long,long way.

good hunting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Some light Duplex bird Lead loads

Postby apexhunter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 am

That was my thought as well. For dove in the early to mid season I would load #7 & #9 or maybe #6 & #8 shot at the largest but with the partridge included the #5 might be necessary (never hunted them so I'm not certain which would be best). I've shot thousands and thousands of doves from opening day to late season hunts when the birds are tougher, bigger & flying faster and never used anything larger than 7-1/2 shot. To me #5, even included in a duplex load would be overkill and would destroy too much meat...at least on mourning doves.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Upland Game