Man its DEAD!!!!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Man its DEAD!!!!

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:04 pm

This forum is BORING!!!
We need to get some kind of offseason contest going on. Something to keep us sane till season.
Fishing contest?
Maybe have a few categorys for different species. Who ever catches the biggest fish before teal season wins.
Probably should have a photo to prove your catch along with a measurment and a peice of paper that has the date on it and your screen name. That way we know its not an old photo.

What do you guys think???
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Man its DEAD!!!!

Postby cyoung24 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Not fair. You already won with the stud flatheads you caught. :biggrin: How about biggest per Kansas species. You flathead guys would win in a runaway. How about a biggest catfish (channel, flathead or blue), bass (largemouth, or smallmouth), panfish (crappie or perch (no hybrid sunfish)), and an other catagory (walleye, saugeye, wiper(for me)).
cyoung24
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Whats up. :hi:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Chris where do you catch perch at in ks? I know there is a st. record but yellow perch is not native to ks.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:43 pm

yeah i agree on the species thing. we'll do like 6 or so species with a winner for each species.

Do you guys want to go with length to determine the score of the fish? that seems like the best way to judge it without possibility of someone cheating.
Name a few species you want up there, and maybe some rules you can think of. If you guys want to do this lets do it, if not we won't lol.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cyoung24 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:59 am

duckdozer wrote:Chris where do you catch perch at in ks? I know there is a st. record but yellow perch is not native to ks.

Sorry I mean bluegill and sunfish. I picked up calling them perch from when I lived in Pittsburg. They all call them perch down there. I was confused at first too.

I say we do length. I release pretty much all the fish I catch so length is easier. Gotta be a wiper catagory that's about all I fish for. I'll even throw in a prize for one of the catagories.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:17 am

It is my biggest pet peeve, and it is a redneck ks saying anything you use for bait to bait limb lines is called perch. I actually got into an argument about someone saying that it actually says on the kdwp&t site that it says bluegill-perch as the species. Man I love a smart phone it makes ppl look stupid real quick. Matt I agree I would say that length should be part of the score because no one has a certified scale, well at least not everyone does. What are you going to give away? You should have ducklander sponsor this event and have him donate 6 calls. Flathead, Channel/Blue, Crappie, Bass, Sunfish, Walleye/Sauger/Saugeye, most people have these fish at their local fisheries, not everyone has access to Wiper or stripers. I might actually go buy a license and fish this summer if this is going to be a for real challenge (DHC's Kansas Fishing Tournament).
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:54 pm

I didn't think about prizes... I'm more of a bragging rights kinda guy. lol.
I'll see what we can do. If only 10 guys are going to participate its not going to be worth trying to get someone to donate prizes.
I have some new duck decoys I'd be willing to donate as one of the prizes... If we can just get some small prizes donated that'd be the way to go. I'd even throw in a $25 voucher for some flocking for a prize.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Just call me...Crackshot » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm all over this! Matt, the length idea sounds great. Maybe have people take pictures of the fish on a ruler or something? I wish I could use previous fish. I caught a 6lb bass that was 21" long and then a 1 and a half lb crappie that was 13" long. It doesn't matter to me if there's a prize, I prefer braggin' rights :biggrin: I could throw in some things for prizes if need bee. I have a painting that I could get rid of.
WTN10 wrote:That's a million dollar house in the background and Doc is climbing around on a Bargain Bin deer stand.

Rich people are 'tards.
Just call me...Crackshot
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Dozer calling bluegills perch is definitely a bad habit of mine now and is a redneck term for sure. I got tired people not knowing what I was talking about when I would say bluegill or sunfish when I was in Pitt. So I just picked up the habit of calling them perch. I've caught yellow perch up north in the past. I definitely know the difference I graduated with a degree in fisheries and wildlife. I would like a wiper category for my own selfish reasons cause it is what I usually fish for but they are actually pretty common, people just don't fish for them that often. They are stocked in almost all of the major reservoirs and a lot of local smaller lakes too. In fact KS has some of the best wiper fishing around. I'm pretty sure around here Hillsdale, Clinton and Perry have them. Shawnee Mission Park lake has a good population, I've caught several over 5lbs out there. I believe its Melvern Lake has an amazing population of them. We've even caught them in a farm pond, by fluke though. They have to be stocked though since they are a hybrid they can't breed but they are fairly hardy so they are popular to stock. Pound for pound they are one of the most fun fish to catch. They have their own unique way they fight. But hey no worries if you guys don't want them in there,its all for fun. If some calls are on the line though I may have to get more serious about my fishing. I can throw in some Miller or Coors goodies,if you guys want.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:24 am

I fish all summer long.
cONG
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Sounds like a great time, I would also like a wiper category.
Jarbo03
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting