Moving out west. . . again!

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Moving out west. . . again!

Postby Kelpy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:25 am

Hi, My name is Ken, Friends call me Kelp Fly

I am in the US Air Force and just got my next orders to Nellis AFB. I am a die hard duck hunter that will go anywhere, do anything to kill ducks and geese. This whole desert duck hunting is new stuff to me so I am a little depressed that I am moving to an area that might not have the duck hunting that i'm used to!

I have hunted Honey Lake and other reserviors in NE California but never anywhere around Southern Nevada. I was wondering what the duck hunting opportunities are in the Vegas area (if there are any).

Any insight would be very much appreciated. Ie hunting methods, decoys, jumpshooting, etc.

Thanks in advance, Kelpy

P.S. I am a die hard sculler and have a boat, would it be worth bringing with me?
Kelpy
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:27 pm

ok, I lived in vegas for two years and hunted there only 1 season. there are a few options.

1. Overton WMA. Reservation only--basically where everyone from vegas goes. because it is about 45 min from Nellis. They have set up blinds that you must use. It just never seemed like real hunting so I never went there.

2. Ash Meadows NWR. About an hour and a half north west of Vegas near Pahrump. It is a new fuge; I never went there.

3. Pahranagat NWR about an hour and 10 min from Nellis. Two years ago it was close to being dry. Last year the lake had a good amount of water and no plant growth. I am sure (with this last winter) there is much more growth and Ducks. they have bunch of local ducks and you obviously get northern birds depending on when it freezes up north.

you can do well here, you just have to explore and do your scouting. There a bunch of locals that always hunt in their spot and skybust the place to hell (lower lake only).

PM me with more questions. good luck

drop :welcome:
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby ducilla1479 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:28 pm

Kelp,
If you get to the northern part of the state look me up ,I will show you some real desert duck hunting that will rival any place in the states.

i'm not sure about the scull but we do use boats. (go devil type)

:welcome: ducilla
"LETS ROLL"
ducilla1479
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:10 am

DROPDUX wrote:
3. Pahranagat NWR about an hour and 10 min from Nellis. Two years ago it was close to being dry. Last year the lake had a good amount of water and no plant growth. I am sure (with this last winter) there is much more growth and Ducks. they have bunch of local ducks and you obviously get northern birds depending on when it freezes up north.

forgot,

only open to hunting Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday. I think--I know Saturday's right anyway.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Kelpy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:35 pm

thanks guys, I appreciate all the info.

Ducilla, My brother lives in Susanville CA, So I plan on making a trip every now and again up there. So surely I will be somewhere in your neck of the woods come duck season. Keep me posted on how the water levels are doing!

I know last year it was quite depressing at Honey Lake, there was NO water and no way to get to what little there was :thumbsdown: but it's a hammer down goose spot when the water's up!

Let's plan a trip eh?
Kelpy
hunter

desert duck hunting

Postby ducilla1479 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:27 am

Kelpy,
We hunt stillwater marshes out near Fallon. The water levels will be great and the duck populations look good too. Season is coming fast !!!!
"LETS ROLL"
ducilla1479
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:37 pm

I played baseball at lassen CC for a year :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsdown:
DROPDUX
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting