Took the boat out

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Took the boat out

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:46 am

Went out to Mud/Gull Lakes on saturday for the first ride of the summer. It was nicer there than in town. I was hoping that with the rain the water level would be up and it was - only about 1.5 feet of the boulder was sticking up so it was very much like late in the season. The water was up enough to get over to Gull Lake through the beaver damn, but the water is still only 10 inches deep in the flats behind the damn in Gull Lake. My super duper new jack lift on the outboard helped out a lot in getting me "stuck" worse off than normal. I spent the day running around and testing the motor angles and tilt and trim to determine what would be the best way to run the thing and still get some power out of it. Lots of fun. The biggest issue is bow weight - need more. And ass weight - need less - working on that pound by pound this summer.

I was surprised at the lack of ducks - 1. I would think that the area would be a good place to hatch out a few eggs, but I guess not. It is funny that there are ducklings hatching out in the old trailer park in Muldoon but not in the lakes in the boonies. Ducks are strange.

View from the top of the bluff over the launch area. Someone pulled out one of the nasty boulders that the trailers get stuck on.

I have always wanted to get a photo of the rig on the "cliff" above the launch. A lot of the guys that I chat with down in America don't understand it when I say we launch over a cliff. Hopefully this will explain that a little.

AK Ray
hunter

Re: Took the boat out

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:33 am

AK Ray wrote:The biggest issue is bow weight - need more. And ass weight - need less - working on that pound by pound this summer.

HA!, I have been werkin on that too... Ive been eatin more, excersizn less :yes:

I was up in Butte on Sat also, thats pretty kool. I went Mudding out at Jimmy at like 5 pm, then I went to the raceway to catch the Truck Drags... a little disapointed bout that, too wet to race, so it was kancelled :thumbsdown:

All well. I wasnt gunna race anyways, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe in the August race, but we'll see.

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby skybust » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:39 am

Ray looks like you had a good day I've been busy trying to get some kings and working OT. Im going to odor the epoxy first of July and get the boat finished. This weekend sucked for me I had to put Drake down on Friday. Even though I knew its was coming because he had cancer it still realy sucks. Talk to you later Im thinking of running the duck boat on Sunday if I do Ill give you a call. chris
skybust
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:06 am

That does suck about Drake. He was a good dog.

No worries on getting the hybrid finished. There are how many days before the opener? More than enough to finish the boat.

Mallory will be coming back from a trip to Maine with her mom on thursday and I will have her again this weekend. We may be up for a boat ride through the swamp if your doing it.

How many kings so far? I saw the photo of the one Coe caught. Nice fish.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:35 pm

Sky, sorry to hear that about drake. I had to do that exact thing about 3 years ago when my lab had cancer, its tough.

Good Luck w/ the boat!
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby skybust » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:51 am

Thanks guys Ray so fare 6 hooked and 4 landed on the boat. Ill let you know about taking the boat out all depends if I have to work some OT or not. Only 83 days before opening day. On a good note Dec is doing real good hes doing 15 yard marks knows set by voice and whistle and knows stay not bad for only being 3 months old. Chris
skybust
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting