08 duramax exhaust filter help!!!

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:51 pm

So I bought an 08 chevy duramax a month or so ago. Love the truck, pulls great but the thing keeps throwin' a "clean exhaust filter see owners manual now" message. I googled it and it says to drive at highway speeds for 15-20 minutes. Three times it comes on and then throws a check engine light and goes into reduced power mode. 2 of the 3 times I had been on the highway for about 3 hours. It seems like this is common on these trucks but was curious if anybody had any experience with it?

Sent via my pretentious BlackBerry using Tapatalk while on the crapper
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: 08 duramax exhaust filter help!!!

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:14 pm

you need to get a tuner and turn it off and do the DPF delete and run an after market pipe...... you'll get better MPG's too my brother is pulling 20.4mpg on the highway turning 35in mud tires in his 08 dmax.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:41 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:you need to get a tuner and turn it off and do the DPF delete and run an after market pipe...... you'll get better MPG's too my brother is pulling 20.4mpg on the highway turning 35in mud tires in his 08 dmax.

I've got a Bully dog GT. I was told that if I do the DPF delete it would void ALL warranty?
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hovey » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 am

Do you idle your truck alot?
hovey
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I use the remote start to let it warm the motor/cool the interior for a few minutes before I leave in the mornings. outside of that only at stop lights and droppin' the kid off at school.
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:56 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:you need to get a tuner and turn it off and do the DPF delete and run an after market pipe...... you'll get better MPG's too my brother is pulling 20.4mpg on the highway turning 35in mud tires in his 08 dmax.

I've got a Bully dog GT. I was told that if I do the DPF delete it would void ALL warranty?

by who? my brother took his in with an aftermarket turbo, full straight pipe, and EFI live and they still warrantied it when he needed a new axle seal, and told him as long as its 100k miles he still had a warranty... and our dealership is a stickler about warranties.

personally I'd toss the bully dog tuner, and get a real tune like EFI live or HS performance are about the best tunes out there, and with EFI live there is also trans safe tunes so you dont tear it up.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:25 pm

I talked to the place I bought the bully dog from and they said they'd get me a turbo back system and an HS programmer installed for $800.00 if I let them keep the bullydog. I'm thinking I'm gonna drop it off thursday morning.
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:33 pm

with a down pipe? sounds like a fairly good deal! you'll love it after exhaust!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 am

2500hdon37s wrote:you need to get a tuner and turn it off and do the DPF delete and run an after market pipe.

In most states this is completely ilegal for a street driven vehicle, Federal mandates are in place with this Clean air act BS that says if you tamper with the emissions of the truck you can be fined. I looked into it in MI (was looking at a duramax needing a DPF replaced) and was told that if caught removing the DPF (or even a catalytic converter) they can fine me, revoke my registration and impound the vehicle if they choose to do so. I have been spot checked by the DNR 2 times while driving trails, They actually crawled under my old (gas) truck and checked to see that I had a muffler and cat in place. He told me that the cat and muffler are required for fire prevention to keep any "sparks" from leaving the exhaust system. and if I did not have them they would have had to tow my truck. :mad:

Check with your state and federal laws before doing this for a daily driver.

your DPF is probably plugged and needs to be replaced or the sensor if failing. My neighbor Plows snow with his and has constant issues with the DPF, I think he had to replace it once. He was told that excessive idleing or poor quality fuel (not running the ultra low sulfur fuel) causes issues with them.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:18 pm

my brother, my cousin and 3 of my buddies have never had a problem with straight piped diesel trucks passing MVI (inspection). got a friend that doesnt run cats on his gas truck and is running straight pipes to glass packs and never a problem there either, maybe they dont care here? I mean after all my truck is 4in over the bumper height limit (technicly it could be measured 6in because of GVW) and I drive past a strict highway patrol man everyday, and even stopped by LEO's multiple times for other things......... not one word about lift, tint, or emissons. my truck has high flow cats, and is louder than the noise restrictions in my city.

never once have I herd of somebody getting fined for it yet, or anything else. there may be a clean air act but it does more harm than good, all the trucks running emissions filters and etc. get worse fuel millage so it doesnt help anything. and the only state I've ever herd of people not passing MVI because of emissions is in California. as far as I know no midwest states enforce the clean air act.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 am

MI was one state that did not really care about mods (loud exhaust or high lifts) being it is the automotive capital but in the last 10 years thay have really started giving us trouble.

On the exhaust, the Biggest issue here is the DNR, There is one recreation park I go to with some great mud pits and trails that has the DNR at the entrance, they will NOT allow you in the park without muffler on anything (Glass packs are prohibited) this even applies to Off road only vehicles and I am told it applies to all state parks in MI. they claim it is a fire hazzard to run open exhaust or glass packs. Quads, bikes, snowmobiles all have to have mufflers with certified spark arrestors in place.

I was told by the local tractor dealers that all the new tractors are going to have to start running ultra low sulfer diesel and will be possibly using the urea injection too with the required DPF and they are definately off road only vehicles. something about a tier 4 rule. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/newsreleases/2010/oct-18-2010/new-diesel-emissions-standards-to-affect-farmers/ I just bought a new 55hp Kioti and it was the last one he had on the lot before the new ones come in. I checked with several dealers and they all told me that the cost is going up about $3000 to $5000 due to the new emission rules. They also said that the EPA is pushing a $25,000 (yes 25 thousand dollar) fine for tampering with emissions on these new tractors which I am sure they will somehow include automobiles in this too.

That is why I tell everyone to check first before going with cat back systems that do not include a muffler, If you are just driving it on the road it probably does not matter much but my vehicles spend a lot of time off the road so I have to comply with all of the laws or be restricted on where I can go. :sad:

I do know for sure that in CT and ME you can not get your state inspection sticker (required to get your plates) if you have modified any emmissions on your vehicle and you do not have the doccumentation stating that the mods are street legal in the state. (unless you tip the guy pretty good) or they determine by their judgement that the mods are ok. My sons Borla Exhaust on his ram passed just fine but my other son in CT purchased a lifted Grand Cherokee and they would not pass it. Aparently it was too high (on 35") and the exhaust was too loud :no:

I no longer run 44" due to constantly being stopped, When I run 38" with very little lift and cut-out fender flares they do not seem to care but MI says that the frame can be no more than 26" high measured in the center between the front and rear hubs. and th ebumpers can be no more than 30". and this does not include dropped bumpers or frame extensions, it is measured to the factory frame and bumper mounts so the guys I know that run the mud bogs, trails and play in the parks trailer their rigs to and from. It is a pain in the rear.

I have been stopped in my 1970 nova and ticketed for tint, It was in black primer with hedders and straight pipes and all the State trooper cared about was the tint being 15% too dark acording to his meter. It is limited to the back side windows and the top 4" of the front side windows but no more than 35% tint :mad:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jeremy_f405 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:14 pm

DPF delete was a great mod for my 08 duramax. Wasn't such a big deal emissions wise here in Oklahoma. I saved the factory pipe, sold it with the truck just in case.
jeremy_f405
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:38 pm

I finally ended up leaving it all stock and selling it. Went to a F-250 gas burner.
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:I finally ended up leaving it all stock and selling it. Went to a F-250 gas burner.

I'm sorry.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:29 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:I finally ended up leaving it all stock and selling it. Went to a F-250 gas burner.

I'm sorry.

It aint that bad. It was cheap and is a nice truck, just short on power...
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:26 pm

no hard feelings, I'm just a Chevy man. so I'll ruffle your feathers for doing different, I had a friend go from a Chevy 1500 to a newer f3shifty with less miles (smart trade on his part, and he tows his tractor weekly) and much nicer interior and I've been giving him crap non-stop!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:57 am

2500hdon37s wrote:no hard feelings, I'm just a Chevy man. so I'll ruffle your feathers for doing different, I had a friend go from a Chevy 1500 to a newer f3shifty with less miles (smart trade on his part, and he tows his tractor weekly) and much nicer interior and I've been giving him crap non-stop!

No hard feelings here. Its an age old arguement to be had. Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge, they never win though. Me, I'm a Ford man, cept muscle and some SUV's. Gm has nice suv's
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ebitzan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:33 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:So I bought an 08 chevy duramax a month or so ago. Love the truck, pulls great but the thing keeps throwin' a "clean exhaust filter see owners manual now" message. I googled it and it says to drive at highway speeds for 15-20 minutes. Three times it comes on and then throws a check engine light and goes into reduced power mode. 2 of the 3 times I had been on the highway for about 3 hours. It seems like this is common on these trucks but was curious if anybody had any experience with it?

Sent via my pretentious BlackBerry using Tapatalk while on the crapper

pull off all that goverment crap off... does nothing but shoot down your power mpg motor life everything.. there is no upside to any of that emmissions crap
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff
ebitzan
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Return to Vehicle forum