Black Lab Face Paint

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Black Lab Face Paint

Postby rwperry » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:20 am

I made a dog blind for my black lab and the only thing you can see is his head. Does anybody know of any type of face paint or anything to cover his black face?

The blind will be covered with rice stubble.
rwperry
hunter

Re: Black Lab Face Paint

Postby DNORT127 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Correct me if im wrong but your trying to put face paint on a BLACK dogs face. :huh:
LeakyBoot wrote:Over the last 40 years I spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.

Loco Duck Club
DNORT127
hunter

Postby rwperry » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:54 am

thats correct. i hunt in YELLOW rice fields
rwperry
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:59 am

If the bulk of him is covered up, he'll look like a blackbird or some-such, instead of something that shoots at them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:21 am

This might work.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Just take him to hair dresser and say he's looking for a different image that he wants to go platnium blonde :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
swampchicken
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Im sure Foiles has something on his site.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby WiHonker » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm

If you need to paint a labs face, you need to learn how to hide better or teach/train the dog how to be still.
WiHonker
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 pm

rwperry wrote:I made a dog blind for my black lab and the only thing you can see is his head. Does anybody know of any type of face paint or anything to cover his black face?

The best question so far this year.... :lol3: :clapping: :lol3:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Teach him to hold still. Geese are used to seeing blackbirds in fields, they wont flare if they see your dogs face as long as he does not move and draw attention to you.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby quack-n-stack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:05 pm

rwperry wrote:I made a dog blind for my black lab and the only thing you can see is his head. Does anybody know of any type of face paint or anything to cover his black face?

Please for the love of God tell me you are ten yrs old!
If not quit hunting before you get someone hurt!!
quack-n-stack
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:36 pm

quack-n-stack wrote:

Please for the love of God tell me you are ten yrs old!
If not quit hunting before you get someone hurt!!

Bwahahaahhaa... love it.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby eburgsnake » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Just stumbled onto this little gem here....the issue isn't the color of the dogs face, its the movement. And I've seen some elaborate attempts at concealment but this is up there.
Last edited by eburgsnake on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
eburgsnake
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:29 am

Trade him in for a yellow...................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Just use stencil and spray paint it should last at least a week.... i would just put a deek or two around the dog blind his head will blend in
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 am

There is a company called camo wrap, they make camo decals for trucks, boats and the like, I'd get some of that for the pooch. Maybe a face mask :lol3:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:08 am

While it seems a humorous question at first, I’ve thought about dog concealment often in the past. While just having the dog’s head visible is not likely to be a problem as others have said, I’ve also read countless opinions that it doesn’t matter when the whole dog is visible. The fact that you (and I) have taken plenty of ducks while the dog is sitting out there in the open isn’t exactly a testament to it not being a possible detriment. After all, how many of us can say we’ve never had ducks decoy while we were standing out in the open, messing with decoys or with the blind? Does that mean you don’t have to hide either? And why is it we use camo clothing, guns, boats, thermoses for our coffee (I even bought some camo underarmor for a reason I can’t explain) but an 80+lb dog doesn’t matter, even a bit?

When I first got into trout fishing and fly tying, one thing about it bothered me. Fly patterns are very precise in the materials used for the fly. But if a trout has keen enough vision, and is particular enough to discern the difference between grizzly, dun or brown hackle used for a part of the fly as insignificant as the tail, what the hell does he think the bend and barb of the hook is? I never got a good answer for that one because the exposed parts of the hook, much like a retriever, is inconvenient to conceal, so we’ll just ignore that little issue and claim our prey will too.

I think waterfowling is a game of improving your odds by attending to various details. You can do everything wrong on some days and still bring home ducks. But every additional little detail you address improves your odds ever so much. If one of those details that bothers you is a black dog in a yellow marsh or cornfield, then go for it. Before we laugh at someone for worrying about how the dog looks to birds, remember how ridiculous we look in out typical waterfowl outfits to the non-hunting public.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:14 am

Maybe go to the pound and find a couple dogs about his size in various colors. Skin their heads and tan the hides and then your dog could use the masks to match his terrain.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Black Lab Face Paint

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:44 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Maybe go to the pound and find a couple dogs about his size in various colors. Skin their heads and tan the hides and then your dog could use the masks to match his terrain.

Great idea Dan
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby SPatrick » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:20 pm

I have witnessed ducks light almost on top of a dogs head in a pond. I would be willing to bet countless dollars that if ducks are not finishing its not your dogs fault.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 am

SPatrick wrote:I have witnessed ducks light almost on top of a dogs head in a pond. I would be willing to bet countless dollars that if ducks are not finishing its not your dogs fault.

And have you watched what happens when Pup pulls up out of the water onto land or his stand when ducks are approaching? The picture changes from one of what appears swimming ducks to the last however many scenes that shot at them.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am

I have always wondered what ducks think when they see a dog. I have always had this in the back of my head, but no way of proving it. Do ducks know what coyotes are? And do they think dog's are coyotes? I have seen ducks take off at the first sight of a walking dog, 100-200 yards away. Then I have had them get 10-15 yards in the spread with the dog sitting on the front of the bow fully exposed.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby rwperry » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:10 am

I'm in the same boat. I just got my first dog, a black lab, and he is being trained now. I hunt a lot with my dad and he is all about everything being as covered as possible. He is worried that my dog, looking up at the ducks and moving his head, will scare the ducks.
rwperry
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Trust me yuo will be fine!!! We have ours on dog stands just in corn, on stands attached to trees, sitting on the top step of the pit blind, on the bow of the boat pushed back in brush, and in his layout dog blind..... Never a issue If they are close enough to see the dog you should be shooting them!! :thumbsup: If the dog is well behaved it will sit still and quite and there will be no issues.... I have NEVER thought i lost birds because the dog spooked them
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm

i_willie12 wrote:I have NEVER thought i lost birds because the dog spooked them

I sure have, even with a well behaved dog laying still, then hid the dog or moved it to a remote position and been in business.
Rick Hall
hunter

Next

Return to Field Duck Hunting