Bowfishing help

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

Bowfishing help

Postby Bufflehead dude » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:55 am

I jest got my bow and Wat is the best arrow rest for bow fishing and how do I need to set my sights? Any tips you might have will help 2 thanks :beer:
Season total 2012 2013
Canada goose 1
Blue wing teal 1
Mallard 5
Wood duck 12
Hooded mergansers 3
Ringneck 1
Bufflehead 1
Blue bill 4
Bufflehead dude
hunter

Re: Bowfishing help

Postby foldinducks » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 am

i stopped using my compund for bowfishing, and started using a recurve. we use a small canoe, and when the cam rolls over it puts me off balance for just a split second.the first thing i did to my arrows was remove the slider and attached the arrow closer to the head.then any fletches were removed.i used the arrow as a sighting plane.when i used a compund i used a bodoodle rest. but the thing that took me longest to realize was if the quarry was 1foot under the water, you have to aim 1 foot below the critter.this worked well up to about 3'.after that the fish were able to "jump" the arrow.then you have to use lead,windage, or whatever you want to call it.most of our shots were under 20 feet.so if your shooting long distances you may want to try a sight.or like bob london, practice,practice,practice
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby Bufflehead dude » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:15 pm

K thanks for the help
Season total 2012 2013
Canada goose 1
Blue wing teal 1
Mallard 5
Wood duck 12
Hooded mergansers 3
Ringneck 1
Bufflehead 1
Blue bill 4
Bufflehead dude
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 am

i use an ams roller rest , and a ams retriever on my myles bradley compound... and no sights, sights are too much of a hassle on a bowfishing rig
then i have a old bear compund setup with a zebco 808 spincast reel and a muzy fish hook rest

i shoot muzzy arrows with a muzzy carp tip and also muzzy arrows with the cajun stingaree tournament tip
and i have a few cajun yellowjacket arrows with the stingaree tournament tip
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:22 pm

u using a spinner or retriever?....rests i liked muzzy fish hook and fanman when tie to the back...quick draw for safety slides....arrows doesnt matter but a carp point will handle about anything just dont those cheap ones at academy... backwaterbowfishing.com will have everything u would need
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 am

I use an ams wave and it works great. Never had any problems with it. Make sure you get the arrows with the ams safety slide too. I use the Muzzy carp tip for just about everything. If I'm targeting Gar I'll use the gar tip but I don't really see a differance. And AIM LOW. When you think your aiming low enough aim 4 inches lower and shoot.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Return to Fishing