Columbia River Sturgeon

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna

Columbia River Sturgeon

Postby drakehntr » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:51 pm

I've fished the Columbia River for salmon and steelhead for a few years now, but finally tried Sturgeon fishing this year. WOW what a blast. 2 of us caught several fish between 20 and 36 inches long and one fish that made the 38 inch minimum to take home. Just non stop fun catching the shakers. Season closes soon, but hope to get out again before the end.
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Re: Columbia River Sturgeon

Postby Bufflehead dude » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Great catch wish had sturgeon in NC
Season total 2012 2013
Canada goose 1
Blue wing teal 1
Mallard 5
Wood duck 12
Hooded mergansers 3
Ringneck 1
Bufflehead 1
Blue bill 4
Bufflehead dude
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:03 pm

How many can you keep?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby drakehntr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 pm

Right now in the area I fish, you are allowed 1 fish per day between 38 and 54 inches long. Plus you are only allowed to fish Th-Sat. until July 28th. Just saw they are planning to change the season dramatically starting next year due to a decline in populations. Possibly catch and release only or 1 fish allowed per year. I don't know how much they really have declined, but I just got off the water 2night after we caught and released 34 fish with 5 reaching over 35 inches, but short of the 38 inch minimum. Lots of fun just to catch them.
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 am

If you think that's fun, you shoulda been around before they started giving Sturgeon quota to gillnetters. 2 guys catching 100+ including 10+ keeper size and the window for keepers was bigger. Actually, we used to get 3 a day 36"-72".
I still have 2 13' 9" one piece Lamiglas Bonneville poles. They're sitting at my place gathering dust these days. I do break them out at the estuary every couple years but, the last 2 years the water has been too high and cold when it's open down there.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:52 am

Great catch wish had sturgeon in NC

We do..Atlantic Sturgeon and Shortnose Sturgeon
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 pm

The year before last I was fishing down river with my dad and the only fish we caught all day was the 8 1/2 footer I caught.Unfortunately didnt have a camera but that is the biggest sturgeon I have ever caught.I know plenty of people that regularly catch very large over size sturgeon.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:57 am

drakehntr wrote:I've fished the Columbia River for salmon and steelhead for a few years now, but finally tried Sturgeon fishing this year. WOW what a blast. 2 of us caught several fish between 20 and 36 inches long and one fish that made the 38 inch minimum to take home. Just non stop fun catching the shakers. Season closes soon, but hope to get out again before the end.

Right on! Years (and years!) back I used to live in Clatskanie, OR. We just had to walk across the levee road to fish out of the boathouse. Tons of fun! Never caught a really huge one, but dinner ws never a problem! Miss that area, now! Ducks and geese in the pasture, salmon, sturgeon in the Columbia, an elk reserve within a couple of miles and deer everywhere. Just beautiful! :thumbsup: Not to mention the Dec cow pasture crop! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby coruptone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 am

Nice, I fish the Snake River here in Idaho for sturgeons. So far my largest landed fish was 6foot 3 in . But my longest hook up lasted 1hr 23min and never seen the fish. Its a kick in the pants aint it. :thumbsup:
coruptone
hunter

Postby labsforme » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:14 am

The Columbia Sturgeon population is crashing fast. Much due to Sealions killing the adult breeders. Hopefully (but doubtful) Or and Wa F&G depts will see what other factors are involved and get it corrected. The fishery really should be shut down to recover as best it can.
labsforme
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 am

Hopefully they will get rid of the bastard gill netters soon. That might fix most of the problems we have with fish populations.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Nice fish, sounds like the sturgeon fishing up there is the sh!t. I've only ever hooked up to 1, didn't land him. That thing haunts me to this day. My buddy just went out and caught 7 lil guys on a local slough, think i'll give it another go here soon.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby drakehntr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Looks like we will only be able to keep 1 fish all year starting May 1st. So I am buying every family member a license this year and we will see if we can all fill our tag! Can't wait.
2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 am

FowlOffspring wrote:Hopefully they will get rid of the bastard gill netters soon. That might fix most of the problems we have with fish populations.

From what I rmember of the situation, the gill-netters were mostly of Norwegian/Scandinavian extraction that had grandfathered rights. Much like the Native American Indians have rights the rest of us don't. I think it would be political suicide for aanyone to attempt to restrict them at this point. That's just what I remember from a long time ago however. It could have been wrong originally, or it could have changed.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:41 pm

I was out there in 2010 east of Portland about 30-45 minutes. Guys in our boat landed 15-20 fish with 4 over 7 ft. One was a little over 9 ft. Best guide trip for the money I have ever taken. Gorgeous country and it's not every day you catch a fish bigger than you, especially freshwater.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby FowlOffspring » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
FowlOffspring wrote:Hopefully they will get rid of the bastard gill netters soon. That might fix most of the problems we have with fish populations.

From what I rmember of the situation, the gill-netters were mostly of Norwegian/Scandinavian extraction that had grandfathered rights. Much like the Native American Indians have rights the rest of us don't. I think it would be political suicide for aanyone to attempt to restrict them at this point. That's just what I remember from a long time ago however. It could have been wrong originally, or it could have changed.

I understood it as they were license buying commercial fisherman just like any sportsman, except for the fact that when they take over their quota, they arent fined and out comes out of the sportman's quota but when we take more than our limit of fish, we are fined. Also, if the state was so worried about the sturgeon population, they shouldnt have allowed the gill netters a quota.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Tomd150 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Anyone looking to catch monster sturgeon should head to BC on the Fraser river. This one was a little over 7 feet. Best fishing experience I have ever had.
image.jpg
Tomd150
Newb

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:18 am

Tomd150 wrote:Anyone looking to catch monster sturgeon should head to BC on the Fraser river. This one was a little over 7 feet. Best fishing experience I have ever had.
image.jpg

Man, that would have been a nice one next year! :lol3: Just kidding. It's an old joke that's been floating around here for years! Beautiful fish!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby IAdukhntr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:13 am

Nice catch.
I lived in the Tri-Cities area back in the late 80's and the sturgeon fishing was excellent. We could only keep them 4' to 6' back then. I miss that area.
IAdukhntr
hunter

Postby BigGoonTuna » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:07 am

Glimmerjim wrote:

not so much that, but new commercial licenses can't be purchased, if you have one already you can hold on to it or sell it for $$$.

this state's white boy commercial fishery needs to go, we already got the indians and they aren't going away(treaty rights), they can more than fill the legislative mandate for a commercial fishery in this state. you want to see a real mess, come up to grays harbor.
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Return to Fishing