Pass shooting

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Pass shooting

Postby holtspur » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Ok guys, I duck hunt the MS delta a few times a year. The place I hunt there are alot of snows however most just fly over a little to far to even try. I was wondering if maybe I could get a flag or two and a snow call and that might get them to fly just low enough check it out and to blast out of the sky?? Just an idea and wondered what y'all thought.
holtspur
hunter

Re: Pass shooting

Postby spoonysmaker » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:15 pm

get a few tanglefree floaters. There 49.99 for 4 and a call. It can only help.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby holtspur » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:19 am

Wreckon the geese floaters would throw off my duck spread. Do you have any suggestions on how i could set that up?
holtspur
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:30 am

Atleast hear in nor cal we run goose/duck spread. Last year we were running 10 dozen duck decoys and 8 dozen snows on public land and had no problem killing ducks over it. Killed a lot actually. It's a myth that geese and ducks don't decoys to eachother. A lot of the times I find later in the season the birds respond better to goose callas then duck calls.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby ilbucksndux » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:37 pm

We have seen that especially late in the season ducks dump into a snow goose spread. A few dozen snow decoys wont hurt your duck huntin at all.
ilbucksndux
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:52 pm

It's true I hunt snows in the spring and the ducks always dive bomb my decoys more so than the snows that are so heavily hunted now with all the guides around using full bodies, and twice as many decoys than I have :mad: . Canada geese and snows don't ever seem to decoy really to the other species but I have had ducks come flying right into both canada spreads and snow spreads. So this season I'm gonna try snow hunting in the fall with ducks set out also figure I will have a chance at shooting snows during the fall and hopefully ducks like them as much then as they do in the fall.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum