New to KY

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

New to KY

Postby duckhunter175 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:56 am

Gents,

Just wanted to introduce myself on the state forum. I am active duty Army and just PCS'd to Fort Knox from Fort Sill Oklahoma (FACCC) and Hunter Army Airfield, Savannah before that.

I love chasing anything with feathers. I'm sure I'll have questions for you guys after I've had a chance to scroll through and see what everyone else has been asking/talking about. Hopefully there will be some guys around the Louisville/Knox/E-town area that will share some tips and point me in the right direction.

Hunting small, shallow impoundments and agricultural fields is the majority of my waterfowling experience. I don't own boat and have no big water (lake or river) experience.

And my one new addition for this season is a 6 month old male, solid brown German Shorthair Pointer. The goal is for him to be multi-use chasing quail and ducks.

Looking forward to seeing you on the water!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-3oqv_4EBk (This is a trailer... still working on a vid for last season)
duckhunter175
hunter

Re: New to KY

Postby WildDuckman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:31 am

:welcome:

From the looks of your youtube video...It apears you've got the spots!!! Or you use to have them!!lol Nice to meet yah, message me if yah want to do some hunting!!!
WildDuckman
hunter

Postby duckhunter175 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 am

Yea we had some spots in Oklahoma last year! There was a drought that concentrated the birds into pockets of water, then you just had to find em.

I'll definitely shoot you a message. I've done some driving around just checking out the terrain and there are some great farms and lots of agriculture. BUT I know this area is a deer hunting haven. How responsive are farmers and locals to waterfowl hunting requests?
duckhunter175
hunter

Postby feetdownky » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Did you shoot that video with a GoPro?
About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
Ernest Hemingway
feetdownky
hunter

Postby duckhunter175 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:57 pm

The video was a combo of cameras.

The shooter POV was the i-Kam extreme 3.0. They are a fun toy to film with but they are not durable AT ALL. Which is why I'm buying another pair after the end of last season and they can be funky with the software on PCs but they work like a charm on my Mac.

iPhone-- on some of the hunts where I forgot my glasses or had my tripod camera aimed at something else.

Canon Powershot-- It's a point and shoot digital 10MP but it works great with the small gorillapod tripod, fits in the blind bag and can be wrapped around onto anything.

However- I will be purchasing a gopro for this upcoming season to go along with the canon and the i-Kams. It's a cheap filming set up but gets some cool shots.
duckhunter175
hunter

Postby feetinthewater18 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:08 am

just graduated air force basic a few weeks ago and now im going through tech in mississippi. you will really love ky congrats on getting stationed at fort knox. Lots of great crappie and bass fishing and deer hunting. Duck hunting can be awesome if the weather works in your favor up north and you do a lot of good scouting. LBL is often over looked. you cant go wrong with ballard county. i have hunted hms hunting club a few times and have always done well there. if your willing to make the trip otters slough in missouri is some of the best hunting i have done 8 of us limited out on teal the first 20 minutes of shooting and were only two ducks shy of mallards. congrats again on getting stationed in ky again. :welcome:
duckhunter175 wrote:Gents,

Just wanted to introduce myself on the state forum. I am active duty Army and just PCS'd to Fort Knox from Fort Sill Oklahoma (FACCC) and Hunter Army Airfield, Savannah before that.

I love chasing anything with feathers. I'm sure I'll have questions for you guys after I've had a chance to scroll through and see what everyone else has been asking/talking about. Hopefully there will be some guys around the Louisville/Knox/E-town area that will share some tips and point me in the right direction.

Hunting small, shallow impoundments and agricultural fields is the majority of my waterfowling experience. I don't own boat and have no big water (lake or river) experience.

And my one new addition for this season is a 6 month old male, solid brown German Shorthair Pointer. The goal is for him to be multi-use chasing quail and ducks.

Looking forward to seeing you on the water!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-3oqv_4EBk (This is a trailer... still working on a vid for last season)
feetinthewater18
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Only hunting I've done around that way was private land in Hardin Co & public up on Yellowbank WMA, but didn't see a bird. If you can get a boat to some backwater on the river, go for it.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

New to KY

Postby mike_b » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:17 am

I know the big lakes hold birds. And the river counties (Fulton Hickman Ballard etc). Good luck on scouting and getting permission. Lots of pay to hunt out there.
mike_b
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting