Question About Laws On Hunting Lake Erie

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

Question About Laws On Hunting Lake Erie

Postby DuckAndDogBoy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 pm

What are the laws about where you are allowed to hunt on the lake? Is there a minimum distance from shore or private property or anything like that? I tried emailing the DNR and the response was something along the lines of "The new waterfowl regs book will come out soon, check that." Thanks in advance for your time and help.
DuckAndDogBoy
hunter

Re: Question About Laws On Hunting Lake Erie

Postby jsa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:00 pm

If a lake is open to hunting, you can hunt it. You don't want to set up close to other hunters. They'll either shout at you, fire in your general direction, sky bust everything in sight, bash you on public forums, or all of the above. If you have a boat/canoe/kayak, put it to use. You can hunt from the bank just fine as long you have the means to retrieve your kill. I know guys that take a fishing pole and a big dull treble hook on a stick that they cast to retrieve in deeper water.....whatever works.

Stay away from private property unless you have written permission on your person. Know your property boundaries. Ignorance is not immunity.

I just noticed the words "On Lake Erie" in your subject.... I've never hunted it. Sorry. Maybe some of the above still applies...
jsa
State Moderator

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting