Cheap Low Budget Blind

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Cheap Low Budget Blind

Postby sstermer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:50 pm

As my brother and I have only taken up duck hunting in the last 3 years we have learned several ways to get by while starting from scratch with equipment. One of the things that I have learned is how to build a semi-permanent blind on the cheap. Last year we constructed a blind along the river with little expense and a small amount of elbow grease and time. Here's how we did it:

a cheap 4' x8' sheet of decorative lattice from lowes $8.00
4 - 2" x 2" x 8' boards, also about $8.00
Jute twine $2.00
Cheap black spray paint $3.00

Spray the lattice lightly to darken the new wood look giving it a shadowy look. Cut 2 of the 2"x2"s in half, drive them apprx. 1 foot into ground for your posts about 2' apart in desired location. Lash lattice to posts, cover with native grass bundles you collect and tie from the area. This will only take about 2 hours. You may also use remaining 2 boards to construct roof frame for camo material or tarp.

This whole deal should take 1-2 men about 2 hours, not bad for about $20 and a few hours of work.
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Re: Cheap Low Budget Blind

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 am

Just a tip that may speed up the build process use zip ties instead of twine you can buy big packages of nice long ones at harbor freight for cheap lot quicker to use than making twine lashings. Great way to build a easy blind especially if its on public land where it has to be remove come the end of the season thanks for the ideas.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby take'emgreenheads » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:27 pm

Just built one this way 16 feet long but instead of the wood post I used 4 cheap fence post. 4 bucks a piece and connected the ends to trees on the ends of the blind and it looks awesome
take'emgreenheads
hunter

Postby sstermer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:24 am

We also have used free scrap wood pallets from local shipping docks that give them away too. These are a little heavier and harder to carry any distances though. :thumbsup:
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:31 am

4-6 pieces of rebar
A roll of chicken wire cut to desired length
Black outdoor grade zip ties
Attach material from the hunting site
tywhite87
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 am

Any pics? Always looking for new ideas! Thanks
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:17 am

I went to Lowes and found a used riding mower shipping box a few years ago. Pick it out of the scrap heap and it made a good warm duck blind. Corrogated carboard especially the waxed kind is quite weather resistant and it's allready a natural brown.

I cut my own support posts for it from the local woods.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby DeonSchauer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:55 am

handyandy wrote:Just a tip that may speed up the build process use zip ties instead of twine you can buy big packages of nice long ones at harbor freight for cheap lot quicker to use than making twine lashings. Great way to build a easy blind especially if its on public land where it has to be remove come the end of the season thanks for the ideas.

Make sure they are black zip ties. They are the UV resistant ones the white ones will deteriorate after a while in the sun.
DeonSchauer
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting