Cheap Permanent Blind

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Cheap Permanent Blind

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Helped my brother in law put this up. The key is to build as much as possible (like the floor) at home and then just put it together at the spot. Used a sledge hammer to put the posts into the mud. Used chicken wire for the top and brushed it in with cedars. It looked better than the pics show when we got done with it.
Attachments
Cokesbury blind 1.jpg
Duck Blind finished.jpg
Cokesbury blind 2.jpg
Cokesbury blind 3.jpg
(34.25 KiB) Downloaded 4843 times
Cokesbury blind 4.jpg
(45.64 KiB) Downloaded 4840 times
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: Cheap Permanent Blind

Postby Papachessie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:09 am

Why is the floor red? I'm guessing because that's the free wood you guys had? Did you steal someones porch railing for the front? Doesn't look bad. I'm getting ready to build one now, so this forum came along at just the right time.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Papachessie wrote:Why is the floor red? I'm guessing because that's the free wood you guys had? Did you steal someones porch railing for the front? Doesn't look bad. I'm getting ready to build one now, so this forum came along at just the right time.

Good question and I never thought to ask. It wasn't my blind. I just helped with the making.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:50 am

I work in construction and salvage as much lumber as I can from demo jobs and have built everything from "A-Frame Hunting camp" to duck blinds with this stuff! I also get alot of hardwood pallets,these work great for floors and bases for duck blinds,you can string a 2X4 inside a pallet across a spand of trees and nail or screw the 2x4 to the pallet,then secure to the stakes or trees cover top of pallets with scrap plywood and you have a solid floor! The rest is simple, sides and roof,I have made dozens of blinds this way! You can go simple or heavy duty,from scrap poly to chicken wire for walls,to wood construction! Here are some pics of my last one made from scraps!Another way I get materials for blinds is by going around to old farms or other old building that have fallen in or have been demo'd and collecting materials that way,yes it is work ,but the chance of getting good stuff is worth it! Also I have dug up vegitation that lives in the area and planted it in front of the blind,recently planted some swail grass infront of the blind and along the sides,this stuff grows along the banks and I just moved it to the front of the blind! It may take 6 months to a year to get it to fill in but until then you can cut and haul brush in! Total cost for this blind was about 20.00!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Very nice Pete. That thing hides well.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Good stuff guys!
It needs more cowbell.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:52 pm

just finished ours built all of wood we found laying around... We have a small hole behind my house about 500 yrds away it was always a pain to go back and set up a quick spot to hide in so we planned on making a blind just so we have somewhere easy to sit for quick hunts when we hit this spot. heres some pics i know its a little sketchy but we worked with the wood we had to save cash and ended up spending a total of $0 haha but heres the pics

Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:38 am

Nothing wrong with that. Looks like a good spot to hide in. It doesn't have to be fancy.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby CSAKing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:14 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:Helped my brother in law put this up. The key is to build as much as possible (like the floor) at home and then just put it together at the spot. Used a sledge hammer to put the posts into the mud. Used chicken wire for the top and brushed it in with cedars. It looked better than the pics show when we got done with it.

How deep did yall drive the posts in the ground and how sturdy is that??

Couldn't tell ya. We were wading in the water when we did it. Beat the hell out of them until they felt sturdy in the ground. 2 or 3 feet maybe. It was sturdy when we got done with it.
CSAKing
hunter

Postby southernducker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Built this bad boy for a friend last year. Used a couple of old pallets from the family business and a roll of anti-erosion mesh given to me by a buddy. Took 2 days to build and completely brush in, but I wasn't in any hurry and had plenty of brews. 14' long and slides up onto a trailer perfectly.Cant find pics of the inside but comfortably fits 3 and a dog and campstove :biggrin:
Attachments
2012-01-11_16-50-25_329 (800x451).jpg
southernducker
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:51 pm

southernducker wrote:Built this bad boy for a friend last year. Used a couple of old pallets from the family business and a roll of anti-erosion mesh given to me by a buddy. Took 2 days to build and completely brush in, but I wasn't in any hurry and had plenty of brews. 14' long and slides up onto a trailer perfectly.Cant find pics of the inside but comfortably fits 3 and a dog and campstove :biggrin:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very nice
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby bass_hunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Only problem i see with your wire roof blind is you and your gear going to get a wet *** when its raining. :eek:
( AIN'T NO DUCKS IN VIRGINIA )
President of the Si Robertson fan club
bass_hunter
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting