Easy Speck Call to Learn On

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Easy Speck Call to Learn On

Postby Dukjunkie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:05 pm

I am looking to buy a speck call for the upcoming season, what is the easiest speck call to learn on? I am looking for a good acrylic call to buy. Thanks!
Dukjunkie
hunter

Re: Easy Speck Call to Learn On

Postby d_money » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Riceland calls hands down its all they do. Even the poly sounds great unless u get great at calling the poly will sound the same as the acrylic. Another great on is redbone or jj lares. My dad has a jj and won't trade it for anything.
d_money
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:16 am

d_money wrote:Riceland calls hands down its all they do.

That might be misleading. They also make duck calls and the best snow/blue call I've heard.

I've been running speck calls so long that I'm leery of responding to "easy to learn on" questions, but may speak to ease of operation. Recently had a hole punched in my right index finger, which is used much more to hold a call than create back pressure, and found it threw off the operation of my favorite RNT speck call, with small guts, but didn't affect the use of my Riceland with big guts. That suggests to me that calls with big guts afford more room for error and could be easier to learn on.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jcleland » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Iam just learning my self and i have found the addiction symptom call pretty easy so far plus John the maker of the call is very helpful feel free to pm me with any specific questions.
Jcleland
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:12 am

Jcleland wrote:Iam just learning my self and i have found the addiction symptom call pretty easy so far plus John the maker of the call is very helpful feel free to pm me with any specific questions.

Agreed. I don't hunt specks unless I travel west. However, the Addiction Symptom was very easy to learn on. John's new guts are great.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby ohlonebaseball » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I currently blow a Anatra "maverick" speck call. most realistic call ive ever blown although ive never never blown a riceland. but i feel the easiest operating and a very good sounding speck call is the sean mann acrylic guide xt series or the ss series. requires hardly any air pressure/back pressure. but definitely check out the Anatra Maverick Speck call at www.anatrahunting.com. hope im some sort of help
ohlonebaseball
hunter

Postby Duce » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:29 pm

I personly believe that riceland calls are pretty easy to learn on. You can look at videos from bill daniels and other people from riceland calls on YouTube that shows how to blow a call and it explains to you when to call. These videos can be a lot of help to beginners.
Duce
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm a learner, myself. Where I hunt in Northeast Arkansas, speck's have historically been some dumb and gullible that popping the guts of your duck call, biting the reed, and making it honk a couple of times typically put them into gun range. Unfortunately, they're getting smarter. Just bought one of those Riceland calls, and I must say, it's a billion times easier to operate than those cheapies that I've tried in the blind. Someone is constantly showing up with a haydels or primos, and having tried those calls, I assumed that mimicking the sounds of the specklebelly goose was extraordinarily difficult. This Riceland call made it quite evident that a well-build call makes a big difference. They're pretty easy, and you can run 'em one-handed. The other expensive speck's I've tried required two hands to get the right pressure so that the call would break.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:02 pm

cannon wrote:I'm a learner, myself. Where I hunt in Northeast Arkansas, speck's have historically been some dumb and gullible that popping the guts of your duck call, biting the reed, and making it honk a couple of times typically put them into gun range. Unfortunately, they're getting smarter. Just bought one of those Riceland calls, and I must say, it's a billion times easier to operate than those cheapies that I've tried in the blind. Someone is constantly showing up with a haydels or primos, and having tried those calls, I assumed that mimicking the sounds of the specklebelly goose was extraordinarily difficult. This Riceland call made it quite evident that a well-build call makes a big difference. They're pretty easy, and you can run 'em one-handed. The other expensive speck's I've tried required two hands to get the right pressure so that the call would break.

Cannon is right. My riceland is much easier to run than my rnt is. I'd say it's an easy call to learn on.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Cannon is right. My riceland is much easier to run than my rnt is. I'd say it's an easy call to learn on.

Picked that one up, did ya? Good, now you can teach me how to run that call.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 am

Hang onto those RNTs, guys. Time's coming when your Arkansas specks will know the kind of pressure they see down here, and when all around you are blowing contest inspired riffs on their Ricelands and Redbones, they can be (relatively) easy to tweedle dee with a well tuned RNT.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ranger2008 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 am

I just recently got back from picking up a set of calls from bill daniels and james myers and i cant say enuff about them they were kind enuff to have me to their home and tune the calls for how i call and give me one on one instruction they have got a customer for life by the way you guys should check out their double reed snow and spek calls .....keep up the good work. :clapping:
It is what it is
ranger2008
hunter

Postby ohlonebaseball » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:37 am

ranger2008 wrote:I just recently got back from picking up a set of calls from bill daniels and james myers and i cant say enuff about them they were kind enuff to have me to their home and tune the calls for how i call and give me one on one instruction they have got a customer for life by the way you guys should check out their double reed snow and spek calls .....keep up the good work. :clapping:

they go into dept in their youtube videos on situations and if you're a beginner how to learn. just type in "riceland custom calls" on youtube. dont blow a riceland personally, I blow an Anatra "Maverick" but the videos are really helpful. Calls sound really good as well
ohlonebaseball
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 am

Rick Hall wrote:Hang onto those RNTs, guys. Time's coming when your Arkansas specks will know the kind of pressure they see down here, and when all around you are blowing contest inspired riffs on their Ricelands and Redbones, they can be (relatively) easy to tweedle dee with a well tuned RNT.

It won't be losing it's place in the field. From what I've seen with RNT's other calls, I expect them to revamp the speck call soon.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:24 am

I've been "revamping" RNT speck calls from the git-go, just as I had others with the same basic predator call working dimensions before them. They were kind enough to send me early poly speck and snow (same call, heavier reed) calls to try, and it wasn't long at all before I'd shaved the normal speck reed to make it quieter and more nimble and retuned the thicker snow call reed for specks. Gosh knows how many different reed shapes and thicknesses I've been through, but the RNT seeing the most field time has a .10mil ("duck") reed that's also narrower than stock. Another very effective version was a reshaped Canada call reed that was LOUD and SHARP but a booger to handle when I'd not been using it a lot. Probably just a matter of time before I start experimenting again with some of the thick Mondo reeds I've ruined.

Given Stephens' interest in specks, I suspect you're right about something new being in the pipeline. But theirs is currently the best take I've found on the old, small gutted platform that is still the choice of some of the best speck callers I know.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Klondike » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:08 pm

I find it interesting that a company with the resources of RNT has not entered the game as far as big bore speck calls. I thought they were supposed to come out with one this past summer,but it never came to be. The MVP is obviously a crown jewel,and their Canada calls are quite respectable.
Klondike
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:48 am

Klondike wrote:I find it interesting that a company with the resources of RNT has not entered the game as far as big bore speck calls. I thought they were supposed to come out with one this past summer,but it never came to be. The MVP is obviously a crown jewel,and their Canada calls are quite respectable.

Give it time. :thumbsup:

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Bigredman5223 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Riceland calls are awesome calls.

I got a double and single reed snow call a couple years ago and tried both of them. I fell in love with the double so I sent the single back to Mr. Myers to retune it into another double. Its a game changer for sure.
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Postby B.Hud » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:04 pm

How much do these ricelan calls cost? I like to get a hedge one but don't know how much money Id be spending
Shouldbeaguide wrote: We rolled donuts all weekend on green tops and specks. Make sure your facts are strait
B.Hud
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Actually, the Sean Mann white front express is cheap and is easy to blow. I have used this for quite sometime. My son has a Riceland and a Redbone speck call. Both of those calls are around $220 each vice the $60 for the Sean Mann. The Riceland is a bit louder, especially out in the pond where it echoes. The Redbone, however, is the best sounding speck call I have ever heard. All acrylic with a brass insert. Will not stick even in bad weather.
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby Klondike » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 am

I have blown redbone since having the prototype in 2006 through the current models,and weather has never been an issue with the brass guts. They are well made calls with quality parts and each one has to be hand filed,thus the price tag. You can't CNC the proper sound into a speck call. Those tone boards must be hand filed.
Klondike
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum