How do you lead a target ?

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Re: How do you lead a target ?

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Our season starts Sept. 1 a half hour before sunrise ,it's the early season only 15 days long but ,it starts-up again on the
second week of Nov. and runs through the 23 rd of Dec. .With the winter birds coming down from the North ,they are alot
bigger and they are like fighter jets coming in to water/feed .
I am fortunate to be retired so, I hunt Doves each morning of the early season with my dog Raven ,taking a limit each day
before it gets to hot . Living 20 minutes from the ranch I hunt ,with safflower fields ,corn and the river running through it,
it is nice an quiet and no-one around except for the 92,000,000,000,000 MO-SKEET-TOES that hang around my head !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:15 pm

About the Sage hill sporting clays lay outs.............

There are a lot of birds that go over head and at angles falling and rising............

I just don't like to talk about it.......... it sort of brings tears to my eyes...........

lots of lots birds plus a few bets !! :bow:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Yes, some memories there at Sage hill ,some real good and I don't want to talk about the others ! I last shot at Carson
Valley .Boy have they done a Great Job there , We have shot the Barone Classic there in years passed and What a bunch of
Great Members , that have improved that course with their donated time . Great Place ! I also like Walker River ,Stan's
ability with all that ground ,High and Low , throws some interesting targets sometimes , REAL FAR and others REAL FAST !
3200 man
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Apex ,

I know what you're saying about the weather ,we have had times where ,the birds are as thick as flys a week or 2 before
the season starts .Then ,a wheather front moves in and we are pass shooting birds with 1 oz of 6's ,because they are 45 to 60
yds and heading South . My Mod 12 16 ga. with 1 oz loads can take care of that but ,the real fun is with the 410 and 28 at
the fighter jets .
The evening meal is Dove legs in Polenta with tomato/sauce along with BBQ Doves wraped in Bacon and a Big Veggie salad !
Washed down buy a Wash-tub of Cold Beer on ICE ! AH !
I'm ready ,believe me I am READY !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 am

Dove season....

man how time flys by..................
30 days and counting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:49 am

AND ,that will be the time you'll findout with all the practice we've done ,if you can still hit'em . Let's say we all take out
20 shells for openning morning .Give it a try and see how you do ,you can always go back to the truck and get more but ,see
what you can do with just 20 in your pocket ?
Let us know ,how you do ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:23 am

Hoping all get in an area where they see at least 10 dove within shooting range.....................

I have come home with a clean gun,before.................bummer.

May they be low and in numbers of high density !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:26 am

The Safflower is ripening and the Mosquito are out in full force waiting for the openning too. With 8 1/2's loaded for the
410 and the 28 ,density will be just fine ,if I can do my part .There are birds lineing up on the power-lines going to the pumps
waiting for the Safflower,corn chopping has started and the Almond harvest is just around the corner .The Dove Gods ,have
been kind to us this year and there are alot of birds but ,with the tripple digit weather ,it will be a early morning shoot ,that's
if ,we don't get that Rain storm the week before the season opens ,like normal ! There are alot of Ring-necks ,this year !
3200 man
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Before I started shooting Sporting Clays I used a swing through lead 100% of the time unless the target was a straight away target.

I was pretty much self taught shooting at live birds and Trap targets. When shooting at live birds and trap targets it is pretty hard to use a sustained lead when you don't know where the bird is going before you see it. I still use a swing through lead on most fast flying targets.

While shooting Sporting Clays I learned that a swing through lead did not work for me on falling, curling or curving targets. So I learned to use a sustained lead and a pull away lead on some targets.

I don't like to use a sustained lead much because I get to watching the lead to much and start calculating and thinking too much. I use the pull away lead more than I do the sustained lead. With the pull away lead I get right on the target and stay on it for just a second and then pull away from it and then pull the trigger when the lead looks good while I am still pulling farther in front of the target.

On some LONG range falling Sporting Clays targets you can really see how long it takes for the shot to get to the target. On a slow falling target you may have to shoot 5 or 6 ft below it to hit it. This big lead is not because the target is moving fast, you have to lead it a bunch because the shot takes a while to get there.

What has worked pretty good for me over the years has been when I miss a target or bird I double my lead for the second shot and if I miss it again I triple the lead.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby fneumayer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 pm

When shooting skeet, I prefer the Sustained Lead method. When targets are missed in skeet, most often you're shooting behind or under the target. There are a number of critical elements (per station) you'll need to learn in order to shoot skeet successfully. These elements are: proper foot position, gun hold, eye hold, lead, and break point. Now, looking at lead by itself, a basic rule-of-thumb is to look at the station number you're standing on and apply that amount of lead on the target. For example: station 1, 1 foot of lead; station 2, 2 foot of lead; station 3, 3 foot of lead; station 4, 4 foot of lead. For stations 5-7, simply reverse the leads. Station 5, 3 foot of lead; station 6, 2 foot of lead; station 7, 1 foot of lead. Station 8 is simply a reactionary shot, and being aggressive and just in front of the target is all that's needed. Again, these are basic starting points. If you are still missing targets, mentally add another foot to your leads and see what happens.
Last edited by fneumayer on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
fneumayer
Newb

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Using that method of forward allowance , you can become a really good spot shooter , too !

I do like the way you explained it , though !
3200 man
hunter

Previous

Return to Target Shooting