Shotkam?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Shotkam?

Postby razorback » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am

Saw the advertisement at the top of the screen, has anyone actually used one of those shotkams?
razorback
hunter

Re: Shotkam?

Postby Blackcloud870 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:46 am

That thing looks awesome doesn't it? I checked it out myself and i'm all for supporting our sponsors whenever possible but three is just no way that I could justify spending almost $900 on a camera for my gun :no:
Call me a cheapassa I'd you want, but I'd rather spend $200-$300 on some more clays and a case of shells before I'd go seeping that kind of coin
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby StewartD » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:07 am

This is David from ShotKam. We just started the banner ad on this forum.
The 8GB units is $649 and will store over 300 shots which should be adequate in most situations! You download the videos you want to save to your computer for a permanent record and then you erase them videos on the memory card to create space for the next time you use the ShotKam. The 32GB ($849) is popular with clay shooting instructors that want to keep several clients videos on the ShotKam at all times.
I'm sending a unit to Chris Hustad so that is can be reviewed for this forum. In the meantime the 30 day money back guarantee is honored without question.
The ShotKam really does two things:
1. Helps you become a better shot because you see exactly why you miss. It is uncanny how people typically miss in the same way time after time because they just have someone stand behind who tells them "I think you missed behind", and they never really know what is happening.
2. It greatly enhances the video record of your hunt by capturing the kill shots, which for those that have tried know, is extremely difficult to capture on even the most expensive professional video equipment.

Currently most of our sales are for clay shooting instruction but as an avid duck hunter (my son and I shot the duck hunting video on www.ShotKam.com) I hope we get some sales to waterfowlers to make some neat videos.
Last edited by StewartD on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
StewartD
hunter

Postby gr8white » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 am

It's out of my price range, but I like how it's a double duty device...shooting aid/shot cam. I also watched the duck hunting vid a time or three...nice duck folding montage.
gr8white
hunter

Postby razorback » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:43 pm

StewartD wrote:This is David from ShotKam. We just started the banner ad on this forum.
The 8GB units is $649 (still expensive - I know) and will store over 300 shots which should be adequate in most situations! You download the videos you want to save to your computer for a permanent record and then you erase them videos on the memory card to create space for the next time you use the ShotKam. The 32GB ($849) is popular with clay shooting instructors that want to keep several clients videos on the ShotKam at all times.
I'm sending a unit to Chris Hustad so that is can be reviewed for this forum. In the meantime the 30 day money back guarantee is honored without question.
The ShotKam really does two things:
1. Helps you become a better shot because you see exactly why you miss. It is uncanny how people typically miss in the same way time after time because they just have someone stand behind who tells them "I think you missed behind", and they never really know what is happening.
2. It greatly enhances the video record of your hunt by capturing the kill shots, which for those that have tried know, is extremely difficult to capture on even the most expensive professional video equipment.

Currently most of our sales are for clay shooting instruction but as an avid duck hunter (my son and I shot the duck hunting video on www.ShotKam.com) I hope we get some sales to waterfowlers to make some neat videos.

David, appreciate the response. How does it do in low light? I assume is is water-proof(dont recall from the advertisement)?
razorback
hunter

Postby StewartD » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:08 pm

razorback wrote:David, appreciate the response. How does it do in low light? I assume is is water-proof(dont recall from the advertisement)?

It is similar to any good quality camcorder in low light. If I use it 30 mins before sunrise then it is typically "grainy" and depending on the load can be "swamped" by muzzle flash. At sunrise it works well. Now, I often wait until after the sun is up before taking my first shot and the benefit is better duck ID and the bigger ducks fly later :smile:
It is 100% waterproof.
StewartD
hunter

Postby Cliner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:57 pm

David, I'm really impressed with the camera. It looks like it takes some amazing footage for being mounted on the bottom of the barrel. Yall had some great shots on the youtube videos. How far away were most of those shots? Yall were really killin em stone dead! :yes:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby StewartD » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 am

Cline wrote:David, I'm really impressed with the camera. It looks like it takes some amazing footage for being mounted on the bottom of the barrel. Yall had some great shots on the youtube videos. How far away were most of those shots? Yall were really killin em stone dead! :yes:

Cline, I limit myself to 40 yards (and try to get my son to do the same :smile: ), and some of the shots with 6 or 7 feet of lead will be around 40 yards, but most are in the 20 to 30 yard range.
The ShotKam has a magnification equivalent to about 4x. When hunting our brains compensate by narrowly focusing on the moving object, but if you take a picture or video with no zoom/magnification of a duck at 30 yards, it looks like a distant golfball in the sky. I developed the camera lens to try to emulate what my son and I see when we shoot at a moving target and I just hope it works for other hunters.
StewartD
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:01 pm

StewartD wrote:I often wait until after the sun is up before taking my first shot and the benefit is better duck ID and the bigger ducks fly later

That's right. Now, all you boys hold your shots until after the sun is up, okay????
:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jimmy Shutt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:35 am

#Disclaimer: I hunt with Dave, This shotkam is very sweet. No Dr. Suesse mounting system like go pro and others. Made from quality parts. Myself I'm the worst at filming I flip gun straight in air when I cycle my pump. True on target shots it has helped me as the video dosen't lie. If you hold gun sideways like me in my layout it's right on film to watch over and over.

If your into filming your hunts what is the price of sitting in front of the computer for edit time from your 6 hour hunt.Shotkam shoots what you youshoot everytime.

Good luck this season....jimmy shutt
Jimmy Shutt
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:48 am

I just order one can wait to blow up some ducks. Ill do a review how it works out for me .I hope everybody has a fun and safe season.
cootlover
hunter

Postby Jimmy Shutt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 am

cootlover wrote:I just order one can wait to blow up some ducks. Ill do a review how it works out for me .I hope everybody has a fun and safe season.

You will not be sorry cootlover, that camera is sweeter than pockets on a t-shirt....you will catch those long leged black birds in full stride as they run away from ya......good luck this season..Jimmy shutt :beer:
Jimmy Shutt
hunter

Postby StewartD » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:46 am

Early Teal in September'12. Myself, my son (the ones you hear his 20G pump in), and a friend. 4 BWT each. Note: See if you can spot my son getting busted for claiming a duck that the video shows was really my friends :smile:
All videos are completely unedited to show the "raw" video as recorded by the ShotKam. They would normally be edited down a little to cut out a few seconds at the beginning and end, plus you would want to splice them together and a add some narration if it is to show your friends. However, I want to show what you actually record when shooting with the ShotKam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le8wD4eK ... e=view_all

And if you want to see some more recent videos - here are videos of 15 doves shot on 10/6/12.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQJoXlQY ... e=view_all
Last edited by StewartD on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
StewartD
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:39 pm

well I checked out the site and watched the clay video ...mmmmeh not my thing I guess. But never should have watched the duck video now I gotta buy one. That is just the sweetest thing I have seen, damn you DHC making me spend more money on hunting again. :biggrin:

later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby gardies07 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 pm

I've been thinking about making this my christmas gift to myself. I'm a huge fan of slow mo video of ducks crumpling (sp) up, but to see it that way every time is a little rough lol...almost gives me a headache. I'd kinda like to mix it up a bit, some in slow mo and others in real time. I know 1/4 speed is the standard setting, but can you speed it up to see things in real time? And if so does that make the sound come up to speed as well? The sound of 1/4 speed shotgun going off is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Thanks for the help!
gardies07
hunter

Postby StewartD » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:49 am

The ShotKam options are playback at ½, ¼, or 1/8 speed, and you correctly point out the default is 1/4. I feel full speed loses the instructional value and slower than 1/8 gets “jerky”. However, on any video editor you can make it what you want. Yes, the sound is weird in slow motion and the sound quality is compromised by the unit being waterproof (no microphone hole).
StewartD
hunter

Postby TooheyBirdie14 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I almost pulled the trigger on the website today and ordered this. I'm trying to figure out if there are any reason to go with the $850 package. Seems like you get a waterproof camera case and a larger memory card? I would just like to film my duck hunts so I don't think I need the larger memory card and I'm not sure I get the waterproof case if they camera itself is waterproof. I'm just looking for a better idea of the differences in the two packets?

Thanks
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff....
TooheyBirdie14
hunter

Postby Ed-H » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Must a person remove the memory card and install it directly in the computer to download, or is there a usb port? I'm asking because I'm wondering how easy, and quickly, it is to review one's faults while still out in the field, rather than having to come back home?
Ed-H
Newb

Postby StewartD » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:33 am

TooheyBirdie14 wrote:I almost pulled the trigger on the website today and ordered this. I'm trying to figure out if there are any reason to go with the $850 package. Seems like you get a waterproof camera case and a larger memory card? I would just like to film my duck hunts so I don't think I need the larger memory card and I'm not sure I get the waterproof case if they camera itself is waterproof. I'm just looking for a better idea of the differences in the two packets?

Thanks

The 64GB is popular with instructors because they can keep a lot of client files on it, however, the 16GB is good for 500+ clay videos or 200+ waterfowling videos and is plenty for most individual users. Similarly instructors tend to use the Pelican case more; most individual users just put the ShotKam on the gun and leave it on. Also, the 16GB does come with a basic hard case.
StewartD
hunter

Postby StewartD » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:43 am

Ed-H wrote:Must a person remove the memory card and install it directly in the computer to download, or is there a usb port? I'm asking because I'm wondering how easy, and quickly, it is to review one's faults while still out in the field, rather than having to come back home?

It has a USB port so you can just plug into the USB port on your laptop and look at the videos. Lots of folks do that when shooting clays, or reviewing a days wingshooting, but not many people actually take a laptop into the blind on a hunt so just make sure you have a suitable blind.
StewartD
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum