Drought and Duck Season

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Drought and Duck Season

Postby kb9zgb » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:27 pm

With this Drought that is hitting most of the Midwest states what sorts of things should be expected come Duck Season?
Many field wont have much in the way of food same for many ponds and creeks lowlands that have dried up . Assuming things do not change much I would think the rivers and lakes will be about the only areas holding Birds. Any thoughts?
kb9zgb
hunter

Re: Drought and Duck Season

Postby Fowlobsession » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:35 pm

kb9zgb wrote:With this Drought that is hitting most of the Midwest states what sorts of things should be expected come Duck Season?
Many field wont have much in the way of food same for many ponds and creeks lowlands that have dried up . Assuming things do not change much I would think the rivers and lakes will be about the only areas holding Birds. Any thoughts?

well ive come up with a prediction for my area.. the mallards are gonna be lookin for corn to feed on and if you have any your in business.
"Machine gun willy"

"loco duck club"

"fowl play duck club"

"Hunt until hell freezes over, and when it does, hunt on the ice."
Fowlobsession
hunter

Drought and Duck Season

Postby Luladucks1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Water, water, water. That's gonna be the ticket! Food will also be a big plus too
Luladucks1
DHC Sponsor

Postby Fowlobsession » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:19 pm

Luladucks1 wrote:Water, water, water. That's gonna be the ticket! Food will also be a big plus too

very true.
"Machine gun willy"

"loco duck club"

"fowl play duck club"

Fowlobsession
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:41 pm

2 things birds need...Food...Water. If you can find 1 or the other you should be good.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:06 am

Cougar125 wrote:2 things birds need...Food...Water. If you can find 1 or the other you should be good.

most any water source will have a food source. it may not be the preferred food source of the species, but they will have something to eat...even pond scum has value to a duck. :thumbsup: They may not stay long though and only move through looking for a better food source.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Get the green » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 am

Any water will be key, especially shallow water. I expect ducks to use dry fields more this year especially if things get locked up. There is still a lot of food on dry fields but a lot has germinated too. Well see.
Get the green
hunter

Postby Natural Camo Face Paint » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:00 am

Lets just say thier will be alot more field hunts this year in the big ND the way I see it.
Sven Fleischaker
32675 hill ave
Redwing Mn 55066
651-380-2058
Natural Camo Face Paint
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Fowlobsession wrote:
kb9zgb wrote:With this Drought that is hitting most of the Midwest states what sorts of things should be expected come Duck Season?

well ive come up with a prediction for my area.. the mallards are gonna be lookin for corn to feed on and if you have any your in business.

I bet that took all of your junior high education to formulate didn't it?
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Fowlobsession » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:18 am

Haha it's you again! The grammer police, I thought you had left and did some research on duck hunting or something. You get mad becuase you were wrong on the last thread and had to come back and attack me over the internet?
"Machine gun willy"

"loco duck club"

"fowl play duck club"

Fowlobsession
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Fowlobsession wrote:Haha it's you again! The grammer police, I thought you had left and did some research on duck hunting or something. You get mad becuase you were wrong on the last thread and had to come back and attack me over the internet?

:lol3: Wrong? No. Giving good advice to keep one's mouth shut about info that could potentially incriminate one's self? Yes
Go ask some more people about instagram. :lol3:
Stick around, you'll get your grammar police. And as far as a little razzing on this forum, if you can't handle some from me-good luck when you get on the wrong side of some of the other members of this site. :lol3:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Fowlobsession » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:16 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
Fowlobsession wrote:Haha it's you again! The grammer police, I thought you had left and did some research on duck hunting or something. You get mad becuase you were wrong on the last thread and had to come back and attack me over the internet?

:lol3: Wrong? No. Giving good advice to keep one's mouth shut about info that could potentially incriminate one's self? Yes
Stick around, you'll get your grammar police. And as far as a little razzing on this forum, if you can't handle some from me-good luck when you get on the wrong side of some of the other members of this site. :lol3:

Uh oh.. I should probly leave DHC to avoid all the "razzing". Haha I hope you approved of everything you saw when you searched my posts. See ya! :hi:
"Machine gun willy"

"loco duck club"

"fowl play duck club"

Fowlobsession
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Fowlobsession wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:

Uh oh.. I should probly leave DHC to avoid all the "razzing". Haha I hope you approved of everything you saw when you searched my posts. See ya! :hi:

I never said leave, but if you get all butt hurt by a comment from me, you're in for a treat. Half the people on this sight would eat your lunch. Trust me-I know this from experience.
:lol3:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology