Ice

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Ice

Postby bayouboy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 pm

I've been rinsing our empty half gallon milk cartons, filling them w/ water and freezing them in order to have blocks of ice to supplement w/ the normal ice.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Re: Ice

Postby rwperry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 pm

That is awesome man!
rwperry
hunter

Postby lostpup » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:35 am

Bayou been doing this for yeara. We leave whole and they last for a very long time. On occasion wull bust open but leave in big chunks. Helps keep cold longer.
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 am

I use old one quart oil cartons they last forever it takes some good hot water and soup to clean them out good but I have never had one bust. And I fill them with salt water and freeze them that way they are super cold and they seem to keep colder longer with the salt water. The only down side is if you need the water to drink after it thaws you can't do that but I never really care I usually bring a old igloo half gallon water jug which is usually more than enough water for any given day.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:21 am

Plus the one quart containers are a convenient size you can fill a big cooler with a couple or if have a small lunch box cooler you can put one it and it will keep it cold. I always keep the extra space in my freezer full of them helps saves electricity that way once they are all frozen the freezer barely has to kick on at all to keep cold. When I need the space for food/meat I just take some out and set them to the side or on top in a old milk crate. I have even thrown them in my livewell cooler for when its really hot to help keep the fish/bait alive.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:46 pm

bayouboy wrote:I've been rinsing our empty half gallon milk cartons, filling them w/ water and freezing them in order to have blocks of ice to supplement w/ the normal ice.

Good idea. We've done the same thing, we quale hunt west Tex. and keep em handy if a dog over heats along with sum gator aid. They mite come in handy, imagine teal season is pretty warm in ur area as it is mine.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Yeah early teal it can still be kind of warm especially with waders on and the mosquitos are terrible I usually see more wood ducks than teal and almost shoot them on accident so I usually don't really hunt it lol. I don't hunt with a dog so I don't have the over heating dog problem but that is another great use for them. A lot of times when i go fishing we bring some bottles of water and freeze quiet a few before hand they help keep the cooler cold and once they melt you have ice cold drinking water I'm sure pleanty of others do this but figure I would post it for those that don't.

handyandy
hunter

Ice

Postby bayouboy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:42 pm

bubba57 wrote:
bayouboy wrote:I've been rinsing our empty half gallon milk cartons, filling them w/ water and freezing them in order to have blocks of ice to supplement w/ the normal ice.

Good idea. We've done the same thing, we quale hunt west Tex. and keep em handy if a dog over heats along with sum gator aid. They mite come in handy, imagine teal season is pretty warm in ur area as it is mine.

It is. We also have a houseboat where we hunt so when we make a trip, we need ice for our food and ducks we bag.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:30 pm

I use 1 gallon buckets that have a rim lager in dia. than the bottom so the ice will slide out easy.

Also Bayou- there is a new "Twice the ice" in patterson on HWY 90. 20lbs. loose ice for $1.50. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Ice

Postby bayouboy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:30 am

Indaswamp wrote:I use 1 gallon buckets that have a rim lager in dia. than the bottom so the ice will slide out easy.

Also Bayou- there is a new "Twice the ice" in patterson on HWY 90. 20lbs. loose ice for $1.50. :thumbsup:

I love those - they now have several near my house
Last edited by bayouboy on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:20 am

I have been using 20 oz soda bottles and 1/2 gallon milk jugs in coolers for years,also in my igloo water cooler,(6gallon),to keep things cold all day! You have to leave the water level a bit lower in the jugs so when it freezes it has room for expansion but these bottles can last years!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:56 am

Have any of you guys tried dry ice. Tried it once. In a big a ss igloo we put a 10x10x about 3/4 block of dry ice, then a layer of wet ice, then our food and drinks, then toped off with a layer of wet ice. Got up the first mournin to fix breakfast for everybody and the thing had frozen solid, I mean a solid block of ice.
bubba57
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:06 am

yeah that is why dry ice is used for shipping game from state to state,it is made to freeze everything! Also it is a chemical base and could create issues with contamination to foods not properly packaged!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:14 am

I thought it was liquide Co2 that had been compressed into a solid. And I thought Co2 was what puts the fizz in your soda pops
and aint it a by product of bread baking and beer brewing. I may be wrong though.
bubba57
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:45 pm

yes you are right about that CO2!I was looking at the gases from it in a confined space! And the acidic levels!
Dry ice, sometimes referred to as "Cardice" or as "card ice", is the solid form of carbon dioxide (chemical formula CO2), comprising two oxygen atoms bonded to a single carbon atom. It is colorless, odorless, non-flammable, and slightly acidic. It is used primarily as a cooling agent. Its advantages include lower temperature than that of water ice and not leaving any residue (other than incidental frost from moisture in the atmosphere). It is useful for preserving frozen foods, ice cream, etc., where mechanical cooling is unavailable.

At temperatures below −56.4 °C (−69.5 °F) and pressures below 5.13 atm (the triple point), CO2 changes from a solid to a gas with no intervening liquid form, through a process called sublimation. The opposite process is called deposition, where CO2 changes from the gas to solid phase (dry ice). At atmospheric pressure, sublimation/deposition occurs at −78.5 °C (−109.3 °F).

The density of dry ice varies, but usually ranges between about 1.4 and 1.6 g/cm3 (87–100 lb/ft3). The low temperature and direct sublimation to a gas makes dry ice an effective coolant, since it is colder than water ice and leaves no residue as it changes state. Its enthalpy of sublimation is 571 kJ/kg (25.2 kJ/mol). Dry ice is non-polar, with a dipole moment of zero, so attractive intermolecular van der Waals forces operate. The composition results in low thermal and electrical conductivity.

The extreme cold makes the solid dangerous to handle without protection due to burns caused by freezing (frostbite). While generally nontoxic, the outgassing from it can cause suffocation due to displacement of oxygen in confined locations.

Sorry to go all techno on you! But it leaves a fowl tast on exposed food!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for clearin that up ol buddy.
bubba57
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:16 am

That explanation is spot on. I like those kinds of answers............ Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting