Fly Fishing For Bass?

Postby TopWop » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm heading to MN and am bringing my fly rod (I do every year
without success). I was looking for some help on what I need
and some technique.

I have a 7' 5/6 weight rod, 2X tapered leader, a variety of
poppers and mouse patterns. I know a longer rod might help
but I didn't like the 9' rod I had. I don't fly fish a lot but I have
much better luck casting trout fly's than I do these bass patterns.
A lot of times everything just ends up in a big ball about 12' in
front of me.
Thanks for looking, I can get some input
TopWop
hunter

Re: Fly Fishing For Bass?

Postby JoJer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:14 am

Do you get longer casts with smaller flies? Why didn't you like your 9' rod? Could you cast farther with the longer rod?
What kind of line are you casting the bass flies with?
It's difficult to troubleshoot casting without seeing you cast, but it's possible that your rod/line combination isn't up to casting large, wind resistant flies. Or, you're not getting enough line in the air to load the rod (especially if the cast is only going out 12').
If you're casting big -#4 thru 01+ size flies- especially wind resistant hair bugs, foam sliders, big poppers, you may need to up grade to a heavier rod (7/8 wt) and a bass taper fly line. When you shop for the rod, try a 9 footer and see if you can adjust your stroke to it; I find shorter rods harder to load and harder to find a good stroke.
If your flies are sized to the rod- smaller profiles in size 6 and smaller- try water loading the rod instead of false casting: Lay 20 plus feet of line on the water and use the surface tension to load the rod when you pick the line up. You should be able to get some more line off the reel on the back cast, then shoot a bit more on the forward cast.
Also, short, stiff leaders: 6-10 feet of 20 or 30# stiff mono to turn over big flies. PM if I can help.
I also recommend the Northwest Flyfishing forum. Friendly site with lots of good info.
JoJer
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 am

Definitely go with a bass bug taper line with flies like poppers or mouse patterns. I've fly fished for bass and bream for years and love an early morning watching them tear up a bumblebee pattern popper and a 2-3 pounder is one hell of a fight. In the spring we fish bedding areas and catch a tremendous amount of bream and bass, with an occasional carp or crappie thrown in.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TopWop » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm back from vacation.
Didn't do any better this year. Didn't get much
of a chance other than off the dock either.

I'm going to work on my casting and over all
fly fishing skills. Next year I'll be ready,I'll bring
my belly boat and flippers. Thanks again
TopWop
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Bees are a hot ticket, also a 4 inch creme worm under a strike indicator works well for big bass, just use a regular Aberdeen crappie hook, let your back cast hang a second longer when it it all the way back keep your elbow tight to your ribs and motion forward to about 2 o'clock and watch it rocket across the river. Let it sink slowly and watch the strike indicator
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:08 pm

my friend does that a lot he does musky trout bass pan fish. i can maby get you some info on it.
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
ducks385
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 am

I know this is an old thread but your best bet would be to get some streamers like the Wooly Boogers,Grey Ghost etc in the largest size you can find.They work great on many other species as well.The WB's with cone heads are one of my favorites for both large and small mouth bass.I've used as light as 4 weights for bass but my favorite would be the 8 weight.Makes getting large air resistant bugs like poppers out there much easier.Good luck!
Bernie P.
hunter

Return to Fishing