Blind on wheels

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Blind on wheels

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:24 am

I have access to hunt a drainage pond and the water level can raise or lower quite dramatically during the season. I want to build a blind on wheels that I can lower or raise pending the water level. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that? Any other ideas on what I could do if a wheel type blind wont work?
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Re: Blind on wheels

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Do you know what pump jacks are? You can sink doubled up 2x4's in as corner posts,then build a deck or use old staging planks for floors depending on width of blind,then support floor with 4x4pressure treated posts, from pump jack to pump jack,now you can raise or lower your blind floor at will! It is not an easy or fast way to do it but it is solid and will go up and down!Brace the top and bottom of the 2x4's with more 2x4's so they stay square,cribbing,below the lowest expected point,and at the highest roof heightyou expect to go too,that way it stays stable! Now you can go up and down at will depending on the water level,I would also think you could build some sort of frame on a trailor that you could pull out there with a 4 wheeler! My only other suggestion would be a sort of floating blind,like a swimming dock with blue plastic barrels under it!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Blind on wheels

Postby bayouboy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Barrels or a scaffold.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby calebmac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 am

Make it a floating blind. Put 55 gallon barrels underneath your blind. Works pretty good.
calebmac
hunter

Postby lostpup » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:21 pm

How far from the waters edge are you when water is low ? I would build if for high water mark and brush it very well. Much easier to build stairs and or dog run than raise and lower whole blind........JMHO :huh:
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:41 pm

All great ideas, thank you for the help.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Cutemboys89 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 pm

I built a basic blind on an old cotton trailer works great. ive had it in 4 foot deep water in an old bean field that was flooded by the miss. river
Cutemboys89
Newb

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting