tire opinions wanted

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

tire opinions wanted

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Just bought an '08 F-250 and it needs tires. I drive 60 miles a day to work and back and 3 days a week drive around 100-110 miles. I'd rather have A/T's so I don't have to listen to the whine but I'm concerned that as heavy as this truck is the A/T's won't do it when it comes time to start drivin' field roads and launchin' the boat. I've got 3 A/T choices: Nitto Terra Grappler's, BFG A/T's, or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. What do ya'll think about any of these tires? I know they'll all do what I needed on a 1/2 ton but I'm not so sure on this 3/4 ton. Opinions needed!
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: tire opinions wanted

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:59 pm

I had a set of BFG K/O's on my Dodge 2500. They didn't hold up well at all. I just went back to regular Michelin Load Range E. Heavy trucks are brutal on A/T and M/T tires
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:32 am

Duratrac or **** Cepek FCII if you want an AT/MT hybrid that'll last. My good buddy with a 2500hd duramax runs the cepeks and gets 40-45k out of them

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks for the input! I've settled on Duratrac's. Now I just can't decide between a 275/70/18 or a 295/65/18. They are almost the same size but the 295 is almost an inch wider. I Don't want to kill the mileage but at the same time I think it'd look better.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby justinduckman7 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 pm

Bridgestone dueller at that's what's on my f350 crew cab long bed and I like them 275/70/18 the good year ats aren't to bad of a high way tire and will do ok off road.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:37 pm

I have read a Lot of reviews on the Duratracs that were not good. They were one of my top choices too but decided aginst them after reading that several people had side wall blow outs, wandering when loaded and sheading lugs. I think these reviews were on tirerack.com and a few other sites. I did look at them at the tire store and just comparing them to other tires on the floor the sidewalls feel real weak and very flexable / flimsy compared to other tires. I also looked at the DC and MT and found that they were made by Cooper. I had very bad experiences with 2 sets of Coopers so I started looking at Toyo's AT. according to the reviews I found no one really had anything bad to say about them, The prices are good and I have over 40,000 on one set and they still look great with a lot of tread depth left. I just put a set on my new truck and hope they do as well.

The first set I had were amazing in snow and ice and had no problem hauling loaded wagons across muddy bean fields either. I use the load range "E" tires and they still look fully inflated even when aired way down for off road use.

They are very quiet and IMO make no noise at all inside the cab.

Do a search for "tire reviews" before you buy and look at several sites to get a wide variety of opinions.

I know a guy running Firestone AT's and he really likes them too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Mickey Thompson ATZ..... I know of 2 guys that both got over 60,000 out of a set of 35's on their trucks.

the key to tire life is rotation, keeping your truck aligned, correct pressure, and dont drive like an ass,
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:03 am

We just put dura tracs on our 2500HD. I like them so far. They are pretty aggressive for an at, but they're not quite a full blown mud tire. They are extremely quiet on gravel also. I don't care for BFG's because I've had several sets that ended in a tire failure. I'm very limited to what at tires I can get on my F250 in a 35/12.50/20 so dura tracs will likely be going on it when the Toyo's wear out.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm

I opted for a Toyo A/T in a 325/60/18. They are the same height as factory tires but 13" wide. Look SAWEET on there and were only $1k :grooving:

ByersFarm wrote:We just put dura tracs on our 2500HD. I like them so far. They are pretty aggressive for an at, but they're not quite a full blown mud tire. They are extremely quiet on gravel also. I don't care for BFG's because I've had several sets that ended in a tire failure. I'm very limited to what at tires I can get on my F250 in a 35/12.50/20 so dura tracs will likely be going on it when the Toyo's wear out.

Byer's in all seriousness if you go to get tires PM me and I'll hook you up. I get tires wholesale. You're close enough to me the advantage won't be lost in shipping.
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:53 am

whisperin' duck wrote:I opted for a Toyo A/T in a 325/60/18. They are the same height as factory tires but 13" wide. Look SAWEET on there and were only $1k :grooving:

Another reason I like Toyo's The new set of 285/75R18's I just had installed were $1018 OTD. Can not beat the prices on a great long lasting tire.
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 pm

ByersFarm wrote:We just put dura tracs on our 2500HD. I like them so far. They are pretty aggressive for an at, but they're not quite a full blown mud tire. They are extremely quiet on gravel also. I don't care for BFG's because I've had several sets that ended in a tire failure. I'm very limited to what at tires I can get on my F250 in a 35/12.50/20 so dura tracs will likely be going on it when the Toyo's wear out.

35x12.5x20........ LOTS more options than you think are out there even with the higher load ranges.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:02 am

Two of the toyo's are bad. Getting a new pair installed tuesday. I new something wasn't quite right with the ride and tried balancing them again and again but never could get zero's. Called the provider and told them I had one that wouldn't balance and they are sending me a pair so that the wear will be even :thumbsup:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:40 am

whisperin' duck wrote:Two of the toyo's are bad. Getting a new pair installed tuesday. I new something wasn't quite right with the ride and tried balancing them again and again but never could get zero's. Called the provider and told them I had one that wouldn't balance and they are sending me a pair so that the wear will be even :thumbsup:

good deal! probably a shifted belt or something.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum