What to Plant for ducks allyear

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

What to Plant for ducks allyear

Postby renegadeduck » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:04 am

i usually hunt tidal ponds in which when the tide is really low there is no water in the ponds but when the tide is really high can have 3 feet of water in it. a usual day at low tide is about 1ft to 6in deep and high 2 feet. the pond usually runs out of water atleast twice a week. any idea what i could plant in there for woodies n mallards. i want something that the ducks can eat year round or atleast when it is blooming. not specifically for hunting. probably wouldnt hunt over it just wanted something to bring ducks in and stay in the area.
renegadeduck
hunter

Re: What to Plant for ducks allyear

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:39 am

Unfortunately, most true tidal marshes are flooded with either brackish or saline water which is not conducive to planting/growing plants which would provide food for wood ducks. They are generally too salty. I have had some success planting jap millet in a marshy area that captured rain water primarily but would flood from a wind tide. The millet had already germinated, grew and produced a head prior to the flooding with brackish water. I did heavily lime the marshy area and fertilize it prior to sowing the millet, however. I pesonally think it is a waste of time and effort. If you are not gonna hunt the area, 20 to 30 bushels of corn, placed in the marsh throughout the year, would hold the birds.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology