Tim grounds reed

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Tim grounds reed

Postby omaha » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:54 pm

So I had to order a new reed for my super mag cause the reed finally bubbled and split. To my surpise when I got them today ( a super mag stock reed and a triple crown reed.) My reed was backwards, and it was not a super mag but a pro super mag reed. I call the company and the confirmed that my reed was backwards. I tried to put he reeds in the right way and could barely get them to break over.
So looks like I am backwards in how I have to set my calls up. I shaved the triple crown reed(on the wrong end) put it in and it now sounds great. Anyone else had this issue?

Maybe I am just not a good enough caller but I like to think I can sound pretty much like a goose.
omaha
hunter

Re: Tim grounds reed

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:03 pm

omaha wrote:

Maybe I am just not a good enough caller but I like to think I can sound pretty much like a goose.

If it sounds good to you who cares if the reed is backwards,I have a number of calls I run the opposite end of the reed because IMHO it sounds better to me,and the birds dont seem to mind as well.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby the cashman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Pretty sure a triple crown reed is just a super mag reed with the tip bent on the fat end. Supermag uses the thin end with a pretty good shave on it.
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby omaha » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:01 am

I was told by judith grounds the super mag had a reed that was the same on both sides cause I ordered one and that was swhat they sent me.
omaha
hunter

Postby the cashman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 am

omaha wrote:I was told by judith grounds the super mag had a reed that was the same on both sides cause I ordered one and that was swhat they sent me.

Maybe they changed it because my super mags have always had a reed that had a large radius on one side and a small one on the other, just like a triple crown reed. :beer:

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby omaha » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:43 am

Maybe, hell aslong as the geese land I could careless what it looks like, lol just curious if I was the only one that had to do this.
omaha
hunter

Postby the cashman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 am

omaha wrote:Maybe, hell aslong as the geese land I could careless what it looks like, lol just curious if I was the only one that had to do this.

Amen! Won't be long brother, wing tips set, feet down, backflappin in your face! Fired up!!!!!!

Team J.Mc All-Stars

the cashman
hunter

Postby omaha » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:01 am

Sept 1 here, just hoping the farmer gets the field cut.
omaha
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum