Question about the military...

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Re: Question about the military...

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am

Blackfoot down wrote:I have been in the Army for 25 years and still love it.

:clapping: :bow: :beer:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 pm

LaRedneck,
Thanks. I consider it a priveledge to be able to. I just got lucky enough for my body to hold up this long, but it is getting old fast...I don't think standing in 35 degree water is doing much to help either!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:06 pm

I've been in almost 12 now and its been ok but come 20 i'm punching it in, having the chance to call it quits but press on to 25 and beyond...that why I applaud you sir. And now we don't heal up as good as we used too. :yes:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 pm

LaRedneck,
Thank you for serving, too. You are absolutley right about the healing!!! Getting older sucks!!!!!!!!!! :crying: The injuries have started to add up and a couple years more is about all I can handle. Good luck on getting to 20!!! Time will start to fly from 16 on. 12 to 16 seemed to drag for ever so keep your morale up!!! Brothers in Arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby DP » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 pm

I've been in the Navy for over 19.5 years and done a few different jobs. I loved working on aircraft (UH-3H) and on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier (USS Enterprise) and for the last 10 years as a weather forecaster. Just like everyone has said every each branch has it's advantages. If you are looking for a career after you get out that pays the most... go Intelligence.

Just my two cents worth. r/ DP
I'm old enough to know better, but still to young to care.
US Navy - 19 years and counting
DP
hunter

Postby KTJones » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:42 pm

First, I didn't go through and read ALL of the previous posts, but the ones I read, for the most part, were right on. I especially agree with the ones that stated don't join the military to get civilian job trainin or for quality of life, you will be very sorely disappointed.I went through basic and AIT with a ton of kids just like you. They got there and were not only disappointed, but pretty much worthless and a huge hinderance to those who joined for the purpose of serving their country and wanted to do that above all else. Also, the ones that join because their recruiter said they'll get this job or that and their college will be paid for and they'll never have to deploy get all bent out of shape when they are sent overseas because their recruiter was incorrect.

If you take the right attitude and take your military training seriously, there isn't a job in the military that doesn't translate to a civilian job. I'm in the reserves now and I know a lot of former MPs that have no leg up on becoming a cop over anyone from any other military job. I am a 37F (I think it's the coolest job in the military), you wont find alot of PSYOP jobs in the civilian world, but every second of my military training, because I took it seriously, is utilized in my civilian job and in my life.

Your military experience will be exactly what you make it. Choose to make it educational and a life growth experience and it will be just that, make it a pain in the a** job and it will be the longest most painful experience of your life.

Just my $.02
KTJones
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:34 pm

KT Jones,
I'll see your 2 cents and raise you a nickle! Airborne Infantry is the greatest job in the military! Except after your hit about 35 or 40 and every joint in your body aches!!! Seriously, all the jobs are what you make of it and KT Jones made a great point that you should do what you think will make you happy. Serve to serve, not to get a civilian career. That will come later in life and there are a thousand jobs to choose from. Some lead well into the transition to civilian life, some don't... Example-Airborne Infantry. The current civilian job market for jumping out of an airplane at 3 a.m., sneaking through the woods, and executing a violent attack on an unsuspecting enemy force doesn't seem to have many openings at this time! But it did teach me a thing or two that helps me sneak up on ducks trying to invade from the north!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:So I decided to join the military once I'm out of highschool. I told my brother in law about it and he said "Do it but get a real job in the military, don't be stupid like me" (he was an Infantryman in the Marine Corps) So I was wondering, what branch of the military would be best? I'm talking the benefits you get, the living conditions, and having jobs that give you a skill for civilian life, so you don't leave the military unprepared to be a civilian. I wan't to do something like Fire Protection, or become an M.P.

If you are still looking in to this option, please shoot me a PM. I am a former Marine (Aviation and Intelligence fields) and am now a GS employee at Ft. Bragg, NC. I work with former, guard, reserve and AD Army, Marines, AF and Navy so if you have a question, I know someone that can get the answer if I don't know it. As for what some have said about doing it for your country, I agree but I don't fault you for wanting to set yourself up for success afterwards. Thats why I switched to Intel. There are many perks to each branch as well as parts that will not be so desired. As a Marine, I am obviously biased to my fellow Devil Dogs but I don't knock any of the other branches now that I have actually worked with them side by side. Since you obviously duck hunt, I would suggest Marine, Navy or Coast Guard as they are the most likely to station you near water. The Army and AF have the most bases so you have a better chance at getting a particular region of the world if that is what you are after. The biggest thing to remember (sorry former Recruiters) is that you are nothing but a number to a recruiter. Some are good people and will hook you up but most just need your signature to get their numbers for the month. Whatever you hear from them means jack squat unless it is in your written contract. If you have any JROTC time from high school, make sure you get the automatic promotion that most branches offer for it. October is the beginning of the fiscal year for the military so thats when the most $$$ comes available for signing bonuses. Ask for everything and make sure whatever is agreed upon is in anything you sign BEFORE you sign it. I hope this helps. Like I said, pm me if you have any questions, especially about the USMC.

Will
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby krusse25 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:28 pm

"03, congradulations you made it."
USMC 0311 you'll never regret it once your done.Key word,done!
krusse25
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:59 pm

I was in the army and it didn't translate into anything in the civilian sector after my tour in the sandbox. AIRFORCE! Score high on yous asvab and be a flight traffic controller. You will get out and make mucho dinero! Good luck!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:02 pm

I retired in 93 after 23 years and saw alot of changes. If its the benefits you want then you'll quality for some even if you dont make a career of it. As to the branch with the best skill training look at what you want to do in life.And research it. All the branches have good schools and can start you off in the right way when you decide not to play any longer. Each service has its niche in the "military" enviroment. The recruiters can lead you on some fairy tale excitement talks but you have to make the deciesion on where you want to go and do. Thank you for considering joining.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Anybody have an idea if he joined or not? It's been almost six months since the topic was created.........
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Hawkeye76 wrote:Anybody have an idea if he joined or not? It's been almost six months since the topic was created.........

Must be doing boot, and AIT... DOH! Should have read it but it was posted under new threads lol
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby slamdown11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:So I decided to join the military once I'm out of highschool. I told my brother in law about it and he said "Do it but get a real job in the military, don't be stupid like me" (he was an Infantryman in the Marine Corps) So I was wondering, what branch of the military would be best? I'm talking the benefits you get, the living conditions, and having jobs that give you a skill for civilian life, so you don't leave the military unprepared to be a civilian. I wan't to do something like Fire Protection, or become an M.P.

If that is your question, do not join the Marine Corps. Go Army, Navy or Air Force. They recruit with benefits, living conditions, duty stations, college money, etc. This isn't a slam on the other services. There are some great guys in each. However, you don't join the Marine Corps for benefits, you join to become a Marine. If you need more benefits than the title, you should look elsewhere.
slamdown11
hunter

Postby slamdown11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am

benelliquackerstacker wrote:

If you want good living conditions, and a good job to fall back on in the civilian world.I would say join the Air Force the and get any type of medical job, especialy a rad tech job (radiology). Yes we in the AF do get a good ribbing form our sister services about being wimps and slackers, but in reality we all fight for the same country and the same freedoms. I am partial to the AF because its all I have known, and after 7 years I cant really complain. The AF has better living conditions and a better "quality of life" from what I have seen, both here CONUS, OCONUS, and in the sandbox. As an AF member, if you happen to get stationed at an Army or sister service base, you will get paid more because the sister service bases are not up to AF living conditions, kinda odd but true. Go talk to each recuiter and see what suits you best, but dont sign anything until you are completely satisfied, but be careful, recruiters are damn good salesmen. Thank you for being interested in joining the ranks of the US military. If you have more questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

The Air Force has the nicest facilities, housing, gyms, chow halls, etc. If you're looking for a cushy job, go Air Force. You can't get any better in terms of lifestyle. The people tend to be very down-to-earth as well.
slamdown11
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 pm

The other branches don't have cushy jobs? :huh:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby slamdown11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Not as good as the air force. :biggrin:
slamdown11
hunter

Postby PC76 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Partial to the Air Force since I have been in it for 9 1/2 years. Take into account we do get hooked up alot more than other services just like the others have said, shorter deployments for most career fields than other services. We were the last to cut tuition assistance due to leadership worries about it degrading the force. Better living conditions in most cases. Do just about everything the other services do dependant on your career field. Yes even front line airman are out there, and plenty of different tasking that come along down the pipe to fulfill your wants and desires. Opportunities to volunteer for deployments to fill voids are there too.

Funny thing was I wanted to join the army or marines when I decided college was just something I was doing to pass the time. Luckily my pops a 27 year ARMY retiree talked me out of it.

To answer your question I have seen plenty of guys move straight to a civilian police job after the military. Even after doing careers that had zero to do with law enforcement. Of course the experience in administrative duties is a huge plus on your résumé which happens in the Air Force promptly after acquiring E-5.

To the navy guy I have to disagree. I have worked on the same ramp as the p-3 guys and your shred outs are maybe not as specific as our but they are shredded out. The only thing is in the Air Force we do have the ability to get trained in whichever duties your are willing and able to preform. They will send you to schools and on the job training pretty much at will to become as qualified as your heart desires. Of course alot
Of the guys just want to be the experts on their system but to say we have guys that just open panels. Not true. Those are crew chiefs they do remove panels fuel acft, change tires, oxygen servicing, do minor fixes inspect for discrepancies and coordinate repairs meanwhile documenting all the work that is accomplished. They also do this at all levels of inspections on the acft from intermediate to the more in depth. They also are usually progressed as their time in service to cover all aspects of the acft because that's the guy who will go with a plane when it leaves for missions.

That all being said I will stop my rant. It seems like the people who get the short end of the stick in the Air Force are maintenance and security forces (cops). One more plus to the Air Force. I am positing this from A deployed location over wifi.
PC76
hunter

Previous

Return to Military Forum