Slotted Bag for Full Body Lessers

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Slotted Bag for Full Body Lessers

Postby CutEm214 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:24 pm

I didn't turn up anything with the Search function so I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone had some suggestions. I have ordered a dozen of the Dakota full body lessers and I'm trying to find decoy bag(s) for them. I see that Dakota has bags for the Lessers, but they're pretty expensive. I do like that they are properly sized and you can put the decoy in the slot with the motion bases attached.

Rogers has a 12-slot bag for "mid-sized" full bodies that should do the trick and its a LOT cheaper than the Dakota bag. My questions are as follows: anyone have experience with this bag in particular for storing lessers? can you store them in this bag with the motion bases attached? is it a big deal to be able to store them with the bases attached? My main concern with the bases is that they will scar up the decoys if just placed alongside in the slot.
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/110- ... ure--khaki

Also kicking around the idea of getting half a dozen Dakota full body mallards....same questions would apply as above when looking for a recommendation. Thanks for your help in advance.
CutEm214
hunter

Re: Slotted Bag for Full Body Lessers

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 pm

i bought the HC bags from rogers for my ghg lessors, i can get 2 in a slot
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:25 pm

CutEm214 wrote:I didn't turn up anything with the Search function so I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone had some suggestions. I have ordered a dozen of the Dakota full body lessers and I'm trying to find decoy bag(s) for them. I see that Dakota has bags for the Lessers, but they're pretty expensive. I do like that they are properly sized and you can put the decoy in the slot with the motion bases attached.

Rogers has a 12-slot bag for "mid-sized" full bodies that should do the trick and its a LOT cheaper than the Dakota bag. My questions are as follows: anyone have experience with this bag in particular for storing lessers? can you store them in this bag with the motion bases attached? is it a big deal to be able to store them with the bases attached? My main concern with the bases is that they will scar up the decoys if just placed alongside in the slot.
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/110- ... ure--khaki

Also kicking around the idea of getting half a dozen Dakota full body mallards....same questions would apply as above when looking for a recommendation. Thanks for your help in advance.

I have 4 of the Rogers Lesser bags. They are top shelf quality and should fit any lesser decoy with no issues.

No, unfortunatley you cannot store then with the bases attached, they aren't designed for that. The slots are made just big enough to keep the decoys in without them rubbing too much.

Honestly, as tough as the Dakotas are (second only to Big Foots imo) you really don't need to bag them. Keep the bases attached and stack em in the trailer (if you have one that is)
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 pm

dsm - I appreciate the response. I do have a trailer, only problem is that here in the South you can rarely (if ever) drive right up to where you are going to hunt with it. That said, I'll need bags for either a walk from the levy or to strap across the back of a 4-wheeler.

With the Rogers lesser bags...is there any place to put the motion bases or would these not hold them? Thanks again.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 am

I love the Rogers bags, one can easily lug 2 dozen decoys in a better fashion than having straps over your neck choking you with 6 slot bags.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Avery FB mallard bags will fit all FB lessers and Floating canada decoys. I have a 2 12-slot bags one full of the standard floaters, and one full of GHG FB lesser canadas.

I'm assuming the Dakota dimensions are not that different then GHG.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 pm

muskyduck wrote:Avery FB mallard bags will fit all FB lessers and Floating canada decoys. I have a 2 12-slot bags one full of the standard floaters, and one full of GHG FB lesser canadas.

That is wrong, sorry. The GHG and Rogers bags will not fit Dakota lessers and the Rogers bags, which are a tad bigger that the GHG bags will BARELY fit my GHG lessers and I cant even get my Tanglefree lessers, which are about the size of the Dakotas, in the slots on either bag. Believe me, a tiny dif in size makes a HUGE dif in what bags you can use for lessers! CutEm, you will not be disappointed in the Rogers bags. They carry comfortably. You can't fit the ring bases in the slots though, but there is a side pocket where you can store stakes.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 pm

dsm16428 wrote:
muskyduck wrote:Avery FB mallard bags will fit all FB lessers and Floating canada decoys. I have a 2 12-slot bags one full of the standard floaters, and one full of GHG FB lesser canadas.

That is wrong, sorry. The GHG and Rogers bags will not fit Dakota lessers and the Rogers bags, which are a tad bigger that the GHG bags will BARELY fit my GHG lessers and I cant even get my Tanglefree lessers, which are about the size of the Dakotas, in the slots on either bag. Believe me, a tiny dif in size makes a HUGE dif in what bags you can use for lessers! CutEm, you will not be disappointed in the Rogers bags. They carry comfortably. You can't fit the ring bases in the slots though, but there is a side pocket where you can store stakes.

Good to know if I ever decide to go the Dakota route.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:02 pm

dsm16428 wrote: CutEm, you will not be disappointed in the Rogers bags. They carry comfortably. You can't fit the ring bases in the slots though, but there is a side pocket where you can store stakes.

dsm - Thanks again for replying. I do like the Rogers bag and I think its a heck of a deal...only concern at this point is where to put the motion bases when I have to carry into a field. I just ordered a half dozen of the Dakota full body mallards. May go ahead and get the Dakota bag for these since they will be almost exclusively a "carry-in" set of decoys.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:04 pm

I know I am digging up an old post here. I have called and spoke to two different people at Roger's Sporting Goods and they said the Dakota Lesser's fit in the Rogers 12 Slotted mid-size goose bags with no problems.

I'm curious to know if the bags have changed size, or if the decoys are being made smaller now? I have 8 dz Dakota's on the way, and trying to figure out a bagging system.

Dakota's bags are 9.5" x 9.5"

Avery & Rogers mid-size bag are 9" x 9"

I'd have a hard time believing that Dakota Decoy would make their bags that snug to their Lesser's that you couldn't use a different bag.

If they don't fit they don't - perhaps the guys are Rogers were confused about which decoy or which bag. However I was clear on the phone and asked twice to make sure they were putting the right decoy in the right bag.

Any info from someone who owns both would be appreciated. Thanks.
"I'm just a young prick that lives in the hills that owns too many guns" -- Shooter
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum