public lakes/ rivers to hunt around auburn

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

public lakes/ rivers to hunt around auburn

Postby NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:17 am

hey guys ill be headed up to auburn for school and i am looking for a few places to hunt this season near/around auburn, any advice will be greatly appreciated. lakes or rivers either will work
36 Prodrive FPR chasing a 1654 express
NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER
hunter

Re: public lakes/ rivers to hunt around auburn

Postby jaker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 am

get a map and scout, bring a boat, be prepared to spend a ton of money on gas. I'll go ahead and tell you right now, auburn has very few ducks around the area and a lot of wannabe duck hunters, I know a ton of guys who go to school there and "hunt" ducks, and out of all them, my group and one other are the only ones I know of who kill many. If your like most then your best bet is to go to tuskegee or some private swamp and kill a woody or two. To kill anything other than that, be prepared to drive no less than 45minutes one direction, and up to 2 hours. Hope this helps, I'll give you a little tip and tell you I have killed 1 woodduck within a 25 mile radius of auburn......thats it, of course I could have killed more, If I cared to go sit in a crowded beaver swamp just to watch half a dozen woodies buzz over and 20 people unload on em. Your best bet is to head to Sw Ga, N AL, MS, or Ar on the weekends. Lot easier to kill ducks in some of those places.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:14 am

Yea I live in Thomasville, GA which is 30 minutes from lake seminole, 20 minutes from 5 big lakes around tallahassee fl, and an hour and 15 minutes from the coast... hell, ill just stick to hunting where i hunt now, i was just curious as to whether it would be worth it to bring my boat and all my gear up there, but i have no interest in shooting 1 wood duck... i can do that behind my house any morning of duck season. I just was wondering if there was any big bodies of water up there or rivers that were decent hunting that i could maybe kill a few birds on. thanks for the advice, let me know if you ever need a hunting partner, most of mine are gone to school, so for now im flyin solo and have everything. :thumbsup:
36 Prodrive FPR chasing a 1654 express
NORTHFLORIDAFOWLER
hunter

Postby jaker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm not saying that its not worth it, that all depends on how bad you want to kill a duck. If you do want to kill anything other than wood ducks, then you will need a boat. If you are out on the water scouting or hunting 6 days a week, then you can probably kill a few, but honestly its almost worth it to drive to lake seminole or guntersville to hunt and just hunt a couple less days a week.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting