Duck Hunting Forum banner

Preparing a rice field for hunting

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  duckbones 
#1 ·
Burn to prevent germination? Leave lots of stubble and make landing holes around the pit? Roll the entire field and leave strips of stubble on each side of the levees to hide the pit? Any suggestions?

#7 ·
Im on the same lease with Doc,

what we were thinking about doing is several control burns after the rice is harvested to make some nice big holes for the birds to land. In my thinking a rolled filled with just stubble left around the blind will stick out like a sore thumb after the first split and the birds have seen them for a while.

#9 ·
Folsom said:
Im on the same lease with Doc,

what we were thinking about doing is several control burns after the rice is harvested to make some nice big holes for the birds to land. In my thinking a rolled filled with just stubble left around the blind will stick out like a sore thumb after the first split and the birds have seen them for a while.
If your farmer rolls it after it drys up I would say 85 percent of it will stay down. If the farmer will let you burn that's great but I don't think it's needed. Leave twice the size of the stubble you think you will need around your blind to help ease your mind. We killed ducks last year out of a buddies beanfield, they didn't care one bit when they saw this. Not to mention you get a hard freeze you are gonna lose that stubble anyways.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.