its growing like wildfire

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

its growing like wildfire

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am

I have a 1.5 acre pond about 18 deep throughout its growing all kinds of grasses and pond weed which is good but in the last 3 weeks it went from having about ten small patches of reeds (aprox 2 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter) now there is about 50 plus pockets of these reeds. They are starting to take over. I going to take the next three days to remove them but whats the best way to do it? I plannef on digging them up with as much of the root system as possible then bag them and dispose of them else where.
Any help guys.. Thanks
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: its growing like wildfire

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:45 am

Try whacking the tops off one of the patches (if they are emerged out of the water enough) and spraying Round-Up on the cut portions of the weeds. Try another patch without whacking to see the effectiveness. Give it a week or so to work, compare and if the patches die, do the rest. If those are very slick leafed weeds, the round-up would probably just run off, hence the weed whacker. Round-Up should kill the root system. I'm assuming they are attached to the bottom as you said you are gonna dig/pull em up. I'll get some responses that Round-up (or generic) isn't registered for water application but Monsanto's Rodeo is, and is the same formulation as Round-up, glyphosate, just a little weaker.
If you wanted to take a picture of the weeds (close-up as well) and post here, I may be able to tell you what weed it is and give you the best herbicide for the job. If they are submersed weeds (underwater) another herbecide, like endothall or diquat would be necessary.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 am

I was able to pull out about 30% of it so far. It pulls out pretty easy with the roots still attatched. I took an up close picture but having trouble posting it. The are bright green triangular stems with what looks like tiny pine cones near the top of each stem
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:29 pm

From your description, sounds like Pickerel Weed, but if you are in Maryland, don't think Pickerel weed grows that far east.

Here's a id list, so if they are emergent, scroll down to the emergent weeds and check out which one is yours. Also is a chart for effective herbicides, so check the one that has E or G for it's effectiveness on your weed and kill it. Just pulling up the weeds will still leave some roots and it will grow back in short order. Killing the roots should take care of it for at least a season.
http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/visual-index/
http://www.sdstate.edu/nrm/outreach/pond/upload/Aquatic_Veg_Control.pdf
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:11 am

Get us a picture or try to ID it before you go crazy. It may be somewhat beneficial or a food source for ducks.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby jerad » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:19 am

So you are a duck hunter and you just destroyed a bunch of duck habitat? I dont get it, why would you want to do that.

That grass is very beneficial to wildlife. It is included in alot of wetland seed mixes that we plant here in MN.
jerad
Newb

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 pm

You plant what? We dont even know what it is. Its not pickeral weed. Looks nothing like it and i didnt remove it all. It went from none in the pond to completely covered in less than six weeks.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:37 pm

any clue what this is?
870.jpg
this is what is growing
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Appears to be cattail from the pointed leaves. The tail may not have emerged yet. Don't know any other weed that has those slick pointed upright leaves. Probably the Narrowleaf Cattail

http://www.killlakeweeds.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_weeds
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Its hard to see in the picture but those little clusters on the stems look like tiny pinecones
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:07 am

Click on the site above, click on Emersed Weeds, click on the Cattail. The site will show you a picture of the weed, give you a description and give you the herbicide of choice.
That picture you sent has leaves (stems) that are cattail-like. The brown, fuzzy cattail emerges in late fall. That flower/pine cone-like top may be the pre-cursor to the fuzzy cattail emerging. The cattail family of weeds is the only one in the line-up of descriptions that match your picture, unless you've got some exotic weed from somewhere else.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:01 am

I stopped by the pond this morning and what i removed is already growing back. I eould just leave it alone if i were only duck hunting there but this pond is for mainly goose hunting.. Ducks will be a bonus. So im gonna keep it under control and leave some large openings until it gets cold and stops growing
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:21 am

Get you some glyphosate (Round-up or Rodeo or generic) and give it a couple of sprayings. I would add some Hook and make sure you you get it. The leaves are quite slick so make sure it's done with no rain in the forecast for 4-6 hours, no dew on the leaves, and hit it again in a couple of days.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:51 am

my only worry with doing that is killing all of the other grasses growing in the pond along with the snails and other invertibrates.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Sounds like you really don't want to get rid of your noxious weed. O.K., I tried.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Sorry not trying to be a pain in the arse. I just dont want to go killing off everything in the pond. With less than two months before the season starts. If i was going to spray them i would just pull the blocks out of the drain and empty the pond and spray everything. I guess for this season ill just stick to pulling it out to keep it under control and empty it in the spring. Thank you a ton for your help though
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Get the green » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 am

Kind of looks like yellow nutgrass, or another grass I have seen but can't think of the name? I wouldn't remove it both are beneficial duck food.
Get the green
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:54 pm

i wish i could leave it but this pond will produce some ducks but not near as many as it will geese and there is so much of this in the pond now that i highly doubt the geese will land in it. i have been removing some i removed it from half of the pond, im going to leave about half of what is there now because the bases of this plant is holding more snails and small invertibrates than ive ever seen, and also provides food and cover for the ducks
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Camocynergy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 am

That's a bullrush/sedge plant. All the seed it drops is great dabbling duck food, but if left unchecked it will take over. It should go dormant in the winter time, and is great duck habitat, you just need to keep it at a level you're comfortable with.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 pm

yea i stopped pulling it to see what it would do as summer came to an end and it stopped spreading and starting to fall over in the water. then came sandy and its completely underwater now. my pond rose almost 2 feet flooded way out into the field . was holding a ton of birds until the water emptied out of the field and havent seen them there since.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Camocynergy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah, around the refuges here they actually promote it's growth as its a great food source, but if you're growing rice it's a "weed". In the winter it should turn brown, but the seed heads remain and the ducks really like that stuff.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby JaMak » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I know I'm a little late to the party, but it looks like you've got a good stand of yellow nutsedge that you no doubt helped with the spread of. tenfingergrip may have been way off base with his ID, but he was right in saying a herbicide treatment is the best way to control it. Nutsedge reproduces through tubers on the roots and pulling, disking, any soil disturbance just helps it to spread. Ducks, do however like the tubers and I've killed plenty of ducks feeding on them. But they will take over a pond and get so thick nothing can land in them. Best way to control them is to keep the hole as dry as you can as long as you can with a herbicide treatment. Good luck next year, cause they'll be twice as bad.
JaMak
hunter

Postby Phytoplankton » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:35 pm

From the looks of it, it's a species of Carex (sedge). Unfortunately they are pretty tough plants, fortunately they do provide forage for ducks.
Phytoplankton
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology