Looking for a new call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Re: Looking for a new call

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:13 pm

goldfish wrote:Ok, a lot going on here, but I'll start with this:
tripleb wrote:Most of the geese you will hear while hunting are high pitched ... not low pitched.

Yea, you were right. I started listening closer to what the geese flying over my place were doing and they were higher pitched than what I was remembering a "goose" would do.

I can run my apostle well enough. I can get honks, clucks, moans, murmers, donkeys... basically everything from disk 1 on the bad grammar cd (how they would sound to someone else besides me sitting in my truck, I don't know). It's just a lot more difficult to run than pretty much every other call I've tried. Maybe it is how I have the guts setup. I did monkey with them to try and get them to be the sound that I like. I can hit multiple notes with it too (higher and lower). I think I can hit 3, maybe 4 if I'm lucky, lol. I can run a long series of clucks, so it's not like I'm ever all that short on air, but it takes a harder push and pop to run a long sequence. I do know that it's tough for me to honk it quiet though because of the amount of air required, which while hunting over water echo's like a ****.

This is my second die hard. The first one the barrel and insert were pretty loose fitting, so I stopped by game fair the year before to talk to Mike about it and he just says "pick another one" because his mold was a little off on his first run, so I got to trade in for brand new. Thought that was pretty good of him. Actually, come to think of it I'm not sure if I've changed around the guts in this one since I swapped the call. I may have restrained myself from doing so...

I would love to get a wood call. Just the way they feel reminds me of using my dad's calls way back when. I wish there were more places to try calls around here. Game fair is the best chance I have, and there were only a couple of call makers with wood calls. Course if they are cheap enough, I could care less what it's made out of if I can make it sound good.

I'm also a huge fan of a good wood call. I own an old TG Super Mag in maple that will be burried with me when I die.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby the cashman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Man if you want goosey, go with an eastern shoremann. It's a flute style call so guys tend to shy away for some reason, but that is as much goose as you can pack into a call. From what it sounds like you have some trouble with the short reed, it wouldn't hurt to give it a run!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCCihJtyUw. -Trevor's new flute
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5RUOfN9caJ4 -Trevor messing around with a flute
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby Shane B Mindak » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Big fan of GROUNDS calls myself.

A saying that i heard that i think could not be more true is pick a call maker that sounds good and has the selection you desire (in my case grounds) and grow into it. Even if you sound awful at first if you put in the time you will get great results. I personally would never even think about buying another goose call that wasn't a grounds.
Shane B Mindak
hunter

Postby the cashman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:57 am

Shane B Mindak wrote:Big fan of GROUNDS calls myself.

A saying that i heard that i think could not be more true is pick a call maker that sounds good and has the selection you desire (in my case grounds) and grow into it. Even if you sound awful at first if you put in the time you will get great results. I personally would never even think about buying another goose call that wasn't a grounds.

Good to see Grounds getting some love :thumbsup: By far my favorite goose calls and I feel like for some reason they don't get the love they deserve. Their whole lineup is filled with great calls, though I'm not huge on the triple thang personally. :beer:

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 am

Couldn't agree more. I own 5 TG calls. 2 of which are always on my lanyard. Both Super Mags, and both wood. (1 Maple and 1 Coco.)

This is my baby though. Like I said... It will be burried with me.

Killer Combo.jpg

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:50 am

Gunnysway wrote:Couldn't agree more. I own 5 TG calls. 2 of which are always on my lanyard. Both Super Mags, and both wood. (1 Maple and 1 Coco.)

This is my baby though. Like I said... It will be burried with me.

Killer Combo.jpg

:thumbsup: :beer:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Shane B Mindak » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:36 pm

[quoteTheir whole lineup is filled with great calls, though I'm not huge on the triple thang personally. :beer:[/quote]
I have heard that as well what did you not like about it? I Have a real thang that i love for use on the field what would you recommend for a deep goosey call in the grounds line up i was thinking about an acrylic TC but i am not yet sure. Don't really want to run would cuz i am tough on my calls and i dont think wood would withstand the abuse??
Shane B Mindak
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:43 pm

The TC is a fantastic call. I would recomend the Pro-Supermag as well. Even the Supermag will get deep, which are my personal favorites of all the TG calls.

Just my opinion,

Gunny

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby the cashman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Shane B Mindak wrote:I have heard that as well what did you not like about it? I Have a real thang that i love for use on the field what would you recommend for a deep goosey call in the grounds line up i was thinking about an acrylic TC but i am not yet sure. Don't really want to run would cuz i am tough on my calls and i dont think wood would withstand the abuse??

It just didn't distinquish itself from the Super Thang or the Real Thang enough for me. Sure it was loud, but volume doesn't really impress me too much, there are lots of loud calls out there. The 200 dollar price tag made me scratch my head as well (it was actually 250 when I ran it). Just nothing about it really made me go "Wow."

As far as deep and goosey in Tim's line-up? ProSuper Mag, or SuperMag are good bets. I really like the triple crown as well. I've got a SuperMag with TC guts in it that is just pure goose. Love it so much I won't even touch trying to play with the tuning (which is VERY hard for me :lol3: ) But I've got to say the most under-rated call in the whole line up is the Polycarb with TC guts in it. I'm telling you that is a bad azz goose call, it'll do everything my super thang can do and more. Shame it cracked on me (my fault, not the calls, that's for sure) but I'll be buying another very soon. I've also heard really good things about the new call, the "G" overhauler. Haven't ran it myself yet, but I'm anxious to give it a go soon! :grooving:

Team J.Mc All-Stars

the cashman
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Cashman wrote: "Shame it cracked on me (my fault, not the calls, that's for sure) but I'll be buying another very soon."

I like the pollys as well... but they are known for cracking... I'm on my 3rd one. Not b!tcin'... just saying that if you are hard on calls they may not be the best choice. The last one I had cracked, then chipped about a third of an inch down from the end of the insert. I ground it down flush with the end of the chip, and man did that call sing. She finaly cracked to the point I couldn't save her... :sad:

Gunny

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Shane B Mindak » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Yeah i have heard about the buzz surrounding that G overhauler call. Don't know anyone personally yet who has gave it a go. I think i am just going to go with a TC it is a proven call just like the real thang and i love those triple crown guts.

Yeah that is also what i have heard about the Triple Thang as well. Just was curious if you thought the same. Well happy hunting guys. :beer:
Shane B Mindak
hunter

Postby the cashman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Shane B Mindak wrote:Yeah i have heard about the buzz surrounding that G overhauler call. Don't know anyone personally yet who has gave it a go. I think i am just going to go with a TC it is a proven call just like the real thang and i love those triple crown guts.

Yeah that is also what i have heard about the Triple Thang as well. Just was curious if you thought the same. Well happy hunting guys. :beer:

Good choice! :beer:

Team J.Mc All-Stars

the cashman
hunter

Postby Shane B Mindak » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Just an update for you guys. I Bought the Triple crown and i REALLY REALLY like it. :beer:

I will say that this call will not be replacing my real thang but i am blown away by how easy this call is to operate. The call does take more air to operate, but it is more forgiving IMO.
Shane B Mindak
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:29 am

If you are still looking for a lower pitch call for hunting, try the poly Eastern Shoreman. I cant run a flute, but a buddy of mine makes them sounds awesome!!! The sound that comes out of the shoreman is different then any of the short reeds I have ever tried. Just thought I would throw that out there.
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Looking for a new call

Postby goldfish » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:52 pm

I've never used a flute. I had one that was wood that just sat around, and ended up sitting in water in the boat for a while so I just tossed it figuring it would be messed up (sat for like a month in water). I could never get any sound out of it other than snow goose sounds anyways (all high pitched squeaks almost).
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Previous

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum