Gumbo question

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Re: Gumbo question

Postby Humpbackshooter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks swamp. Plan on makin this up this coming weekend at the camp. What do U add for extra or do U just serve by its self. I know afters there will be home made fried pies( Apple, peach & choc.)
Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 pm

potato salad is a great side dish with gumbo..that and french bread.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Coasthunter18 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Duck gumbo is one of the best ways to use your ducks. If you (and everyone eating with you) like duck flavor you can use all duck and sausage. If you want to cut the duck flavor a little you can use chicken, duck, sausage. As folks have said, equal parts oil and flour to make a good dark roux. I typically use 1 cup each in a cast iron skillet over medium or higher heat and stir continuosly - do not burn! Stop at a melted chocolate color if you want a dark gumbo or a peanut butter if you want it lighter. I prefer dark. I let it cool then skim the oil off the top once it separates.

Boil your ducks/chicken in water or a combination of water and chicken broth (my preference) with some vegs/seasoning thrown in. Get your onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic sauteed in your gumbo pot until slightly soft then add your strained stock from the boiling pot. Once you get it up to a boil I start to stir in the roux from the cast iron skillet until you get the color you are looking for. I typically use ~ 12 cups of stock per 1 cup of roux (as in 1 cup flour/1 cup oil roux) but this isn't exact - just get to your desired color. Duck stock is darker than chicken stock so it darkens up fairly easily. Get this to a boil then get your deboned duck/chicken and andouille sausage in the pot, add seasonings, and let simmer until the roux taste cooks off. Throw in some green onions at the end of the boil then turn it off. Add file if desired, but only add it to the end of the boil as it can make the gumbo slimy if it cooks in for a while. A lot of people add it at the table rather than to the pot for this reason. Gumbo is always better the next day so if you are cooking for a group or event try to make it the day before then reheat the next day.

Now I'm hungry!
Coasthunter18
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:41 pm

CH18, Thanks for the info. I made it up this past week-end and all the guys ate it up. Said that I'll will have to start makin it every year. I Tried to find some seafood stock to use, but couldn't. So I used chicken stock. I stood at the stove for over an hour stirring the roux. Getting it to the color that I wanted. Didn't mind, had a cold BL in the other hand. I will have to keep that in mind about the 12/1 on the roux. I also cooked it up on Friday and served it on Saturday. Letting it "rightly season".
Many thanks to "Swamp" for the addition of potatoe salad and french bread.
Got pics, will post later.
Thanks,
Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby Coasthunter18 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Humpbackshooter wrote:CH18, Thanks for the info. I made it up this past week-end and all the guys ate it up. Said that I'll will have to start makin it every year. I Tried to find some seafood stock to use, but couldn't. So I used chicken stock. I stood at the stove for over an hour stirring the roux. Getting it to the color that I wanted. Didn't mind, had a cold BL in the other hand. I will have to keep that in mind about the 12/1 on the roux. I also cooked it up on Friday and served it on Saturday. Letting it "rightly season".
Many thanks to "Swamp" for the addition of potatoe salad and french bread.
Got pics, will post later.
Thanks,
Hump.

Awesome! Glad to hear you gave it a try and everyone enjoyed it. A good gumbo is hard to beat!!
Coasthunter18
hunter

Postby simplepeddler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 pm

First bowl is ova da rice
second bowl is ova da potato salad
simplepeddler
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:18 pm

From chef K-Paul....Authentic Gumbo!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking