Snake anyone? Particularly rattlesnake

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 pm

This morning I encountered another rattle snake. Only this time it was a 4 foot long snake. I killed it, and have the skin being preserved right now, gunna add that to the collection. I've heard that rattle snake is really good. I save the meat from this one. Any tips on how to prepare it? Thanks!
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Re: Snake anyone? Particularly rattlesnake

Postby chaos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Having grown up catching and selling Western Diamond Backs, I have eaten a few. Eating a rattlesnake is a waste of time and energy. I believe that folks prepare and eat them just for the Novelty of saying they have done so. Most folks throw out the rib cage when filleting a fish. A snake is one giant ribcage and there just isnt any meat there.
When i cook one for a friend or the kids, we chicken fry the darn things. if you put enough breading on..... you might just have enough to get a meal out of it.

I nolonger catch snakes to sell at the annual roundups, but rather just kill them now that I have kids. Here are a few of the larger ones I've taken in the last couple of years. They are a might bigger than 4 foot and still not worth the hassle.

None of these would yield enough to make a meal for a single grown man. I fixed up a big one chicken fried for my boys and had to make 'em hamburgers when I was done. The meat taste like squirrel...what little of it there is.

Im sure I'll get slammed by some expert snake cooks as I always do. I've eaten enough of em to know better.

Chaos
chaos
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Those are some cool snakes. I was just surprised at how much meat there was on the one I killed. It looked like a lot to me but what do I know. Do you preserve your skins? I have mine soaking in a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and glycerin. It's what I used on the last one I killed, and it turned out well.
I would like to find myself a diamondback rattler one of these days. The only ones I have seen are the prairie rattlers.
Ps. I like the can of Copenhagen with the rattle!
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Here's a few pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344908658.722140.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344908697.814461.jpg
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby chaos » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:45 pm

shootable Goose wrote:Those are some cool snakes. I was just surprised at how much meat there was on the one I killed. It looked like a lot to me but what do I know. Do you preserve your skins? I have mine soaking in a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and glycerin. It's what I used on the last one I killed, and it turned out well.
I would like to find myself a diamondback rattler one of these days. The only ones I have seen are the prairie rattlers.
Ps. I like the can of Copenhagen with the rattle!

I dont fool with the skins, only keep the rattles. I've heard of guys using mixtures like yours with success.

Cook that snake up and you'll see what I mean about the meat. They have a very small "backstrap" row of meat at the top of the ribs where they attach to the spine. The rest draws up tight to the bone like belly fat on a fish. I dont have any experience with Prarie rattlers. Have only seen the Western Diamondbacks and Timber Rattlers. Timber Rattlers are protected here in Texas and illegal to fool with.

My boys with a heavy snake:

chaos
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:52 pm

Ya I'll cook it up and let you know.
I also was supprised at how long the damn thing was moving after his head was off. He even responded to pain when I started skinning it, he tried to "bight" me and pulled away his head. Also 20 minutes after his head was cut off, and I had skinned him, his heart was still beating!
Hey im not sure what the laws are, but next time you kill a one, skin that thing and send it my way! I would pay for the postage.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby quackhead38 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 pm

mhmmm i love me some rattler deep fried and dipped in butter
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking