Comments on Youth Shotguns

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Comments on Youth Shotguns

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:19 am

I have been looking at youth guns for my boy and daughter eventually. I am looking to get a 20 gauge pump. Here is what I have looked at by myself with out my boy so far.

Winchester youth 20 gauge pump
870 youth 20 gauge pump
Mossberg youth 20 gauge pump

I like the mossberg for the thumb saftey. I use one myself even though the action seems a little sloppy the thumb safety is so darn convenient. The 870 looks like a nice gun. Both of these are around $250. The Winchester is designed so the pump slide is farther back to be easier to reach for a youth. But I was worried the ejecting shell could possibly hit his fingers and jamb the gun depending on when it is ejected and if his fingers where a little high as he grew more. It's sellin for $300.

Anyone looked at all these guns and have comments on comparisons on them?
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:12 pm

What ever you pick out; make sure it has enought weight to
take most of the recoil away !!

Heavy recoil will kill the "fun" of hunting for young hunters !!

I know !! A single shot 20 Ga. almost made me say "no way" !

Sage.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:16 pm

Ok....

I have owned a winchester and a remington pump. The winchester malfunctioned a few times but it is still a great gun.. But they dont make the 1300 anymore.

My 870 was my first gun it is a youth twenty guage.

It has not malfunctioned ONCE. Best gun ive ever bought. Even my dads SBE has jammed once or twice but the 870 hasnt at all. I love this gun and believe my i put my guns through ALOT.

My friend got a mossberg pump for his first gun which seemed ok but i like my 870 alot more.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Citori12 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:16 pm

Learned to shoot ducks with a dixie works black powder single shot 20 ga...For youths first of all get something that they can practice with without beating themselves to death...I have had many disagreements with folks on this site for starting young folks off with too little or too much gun...let em shoot a little before they decide they want to take up the sport...
C12
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

comments on youth shotgun

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:26 pm

All of the shotguns you listed sound good. I have a 16 year old daughter that hunts with me. Needless to say she is like her father and a little on the light side. I started her out on a single shot .410. Last year after dove season we knew it was time to upgrade to a 20 gauge. Like you I was, and so was she, worried about recoil. We finally decided on a Charles Daley semiauto. We actually purshased it a Wal-Mart(unfortunatly) for around $250. It is VERY light weight and because it`s a semiauto there is Very little recoil. She and I have used it for ducks, doves and turkeys. It`s a real lean killing machine. Good luck!
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sigep538 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:45 am

That Charles Daley might not be a bad idea. Just remember to keep the ranges short and I think that would be a great idea. A 20 should be fine, reminds me when i was 6 and killed my first deer with a Franchi that had the stock choped off a few inches!! yea it was a little under gunned but it sure made a great memory and did the job. the way my dad started me the first year was, he would handload one shell at a time to keep me from rattling that semi off. To bad that old gun was neglicted now in a bucket in the shed. maybe a project im smelling??? good luck
Be men for if we are not men we canot be brothers. Fall 96
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:23 am

my friend bought a Charles Daly 20g for his 11 yo son....VERY LIGHT and little recoil.....he also got the adult stock so the gun can be used as the child grows into it......he has done very well shooting crows and clays with it so far, so with good range finishing birds, I am sure he will be a waterfowling machine soon enough

I discourage a .410 for any child learning to use a shotgun! Personally i learned with a 12 from day one.....I think in the long run this is OK since today there are so many various loads, recoil is really not a factor for consistent learning
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:48 am

I started him with a New England Partner last year in 20 Gauge. It was the worst mistake I ever made. It just outright rocked him and he did not want to shoot again. I got a .410 and with a lot of convincing he shot it but was disapointed later in the year to shoot at pidgeons on the ground at 25 yards and have them all fly away. The 410 does not have enough load to be effective for a kid.

I saw the daly at walmart in black for 288 and I think I am going to order it.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:03 am

870 with a factory recoil pad.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:32 pm

Remembering back 35+ years ago to when I was first shooting. I had a bolt action .410, and I handled it well at age 9. Funny thing is I took firearms training at age 11, and they had a 20 ga break action, and I damn near landed on my ass. :eek: My Dad was wanting me to try a 12 ga the following year--and I balked big time and stayed with my .410. Finally the next summer he convinced my to try his Rem 1100, and it kicked less than that 20 ga did. Huh? Lesson to learn--as others have said, do not punish the kids, get a semi-auto, especially a gas operated one so when using a 3" load the kick is not so bad. BTW, the next summer I bought my Dads Rem 1100 since he had bought a new 3" mag Rem 1100.

And as an adult I have shot pumps. I had an Ithaca feather weight model 37 and was hand loading 3" hulls. I literally dislocated my shoulder while hunting--yes it kicked that hard that muscle got pinched in my shoulder socket. Just brutal. The doc says no shooting for 2 weeks, let it heal up. I just used my old Rem 1100 with 2.75" loads of lead 3 days later, and kilt ducks no problem and hardly noticed my sore shoulder. :mrgreen:

Yes there is THAT much of a difference. So also consider a cheap bolt action .410 as a starter when they was like me at age 8 when I shot my first pop can with it :thumbsup: BTW, my dad sawed off 4" off the stock so it would fit me better. :yes:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes