2012-2013 Seasons

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Re: 2012-2013 Seasons

Postby hnkr83 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:00 am

cyoung24 wrote:Disclaimer: I'm getting on my soapbox again and I'm gonna be long winded.

Ok I'll start off with stating my stance on the SE zone. I would be 100% for the SE zone if the northern border was moved south in turn not including MDC. I can't speak for Flint Hills but from what Ive read they are much like MDC. I lived in SEK for 8 years now im in the kc area and hunt sek when we freeze up north. There is nothing I love more than to shoot ducks in a corn field. That being said I'm lucky enough to have friends that I can hunt with when we freeze. I hunt about 20 days a year which is not as many as some but more than a lot. I am far from a fair weather hunter. I have hunted in the coldest of the cold borderline hypothermia weather. I will address my two points separately. The rigged vote and freeze up. There are also a couple of good reads about the zone here are the links: http://m.kansas.com/wichita/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ekRPGS26 and http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=910525

Opinion #1 The Vote
I used the word rigged in a previous post and I probably should have used a different word like predetermined. The way the Wichita Eagle made it sound from interviewing the commission members is that they had their votes set before the meeting or the public and biologist's input. Also IMO there is a severe conflict of interests in that commissioner Budd owns a duck club next to neosho and CBI. IMO he should have to abstain from voting let alone influence someone else's vote which is what happened as said by the commissioner them self. The Wichita Eagle published that the surveys said 77% of Kansan's wanted an earlier season. That should have been the end of discussions and voted the way the majority wanted not for a minority's personal agenda. If the survey went showed 50.1% for earlier they should have voted with the majority. On top of the surveys the state biologist said an earlier season is more beneficial for Kansan's.

Opinion #2:

Mr. O'Neil I value your opinion and input probably more than those from anyone on this forum and I would say that everyone respects you more than anyone on this forum and you are welcome in our blind any day. That being said I must respectfully voice a different opinion from a different point of view. The past few seasons have been drastically different. Last year was rediculouslly warm while the season before had 3inch ice in the middle of December. Not every person is hardcore hunting everyday breaking ice and chasing birds all over the country side. Many Kansan's go out a couple times a year early in the season when it's not too cold to take their kids. The thing is they pay for their licenses and stamps and pay their taxes just like you and I. I feel that cutting their seasons for the few of us so we can go shoot our greenheads only is simply unfair to the majority of hunters. I know most of you don't want to hear it but the public marshes were made for everyone not just the die hard waterfowlers only. Not everyone has the resources, time or money to go chase birds all over but they can go to the local marsh and have a shot at shooting a few birds. I feel that is limited with a later season. As far as having ducks in your spread during goose season that is going to happen all the way till spring the fact is lots of ducks winter here ecspecially in far south KS. I also feel a later start eliminates the posibility of shooting certain species of waterfowl (ie pintails redheads wood ducks etc). Pintails to a lesser extent but they seem more prevalent early in the season. At the marsh I would much rather take one of the previous 3 any day over a mallard.

All this being said all this is my opinion and I'm not at all trying to piss people off. Please feel free to tear it apart.

Well said Chris. I have absolutely no problem with the dates if the northern line of the zone is 54 hwy, excluding MDC and Flint Hills. The fact that one guy with multiple conflicts of interest determines the season dates for thousands of hunters is troubling, and sets a poor precedent for the future. Make sure those of you who are displeased with how things went communicate your frustrations to the commissioners themselves. http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/KDWPT ... missioners
hnkr83
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:10 pm

KSduckguy wrote:
John O'neal you are welcome to join us for a late January mallard hunt anytime.

Thank you for the generous offer. I am always up for a good hunt. Perhaps we could invite a few of the unconvinced in joining us for a late season Mallard shoot . Taking a limit of big fat green-heads always makes me feel better about things . :lol3:
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby KSduckguy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:33 am

Absolutely John, a limit of greenheads seems to heal all wounds and soothe the soul. However, I think it will be quite difficult to convert some people to January hunters. Let's see what this season has in store for us and then we can bicker about it after it is over with. Until then we will have nothing to substantiate our arguments. I for one can't wait for the season to get here and to be in the blind for that first big push of birds riding a cold front.

As for the ONE GUY ruining hunting for thousands of hunters: You need to watch the last commission meeting. It will be up on the archives after the next commission meeting on the KDWPT website. Search commission meeting on the website. This is a panel of people who cast votes on all matters. It's not a dictatorship, it takes a majority. Had commissioner Budd been the only person to want this to happen, it wouldn't have. Period. Again, I feel for you folks up north; the zone needs to be adjusted to exclude you. Lets see what this season brings us and be happy that we have the right to bear arms, vote, and shoot ducks.

Good luck folks.
KSduckguy
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:51 am

I think Kansas has it perfect. Within a 3hour drive you have 130 days of duck hunting available. SE zone being late is fine. Let's just advocate for keeping the Early zone dates as they currently are. Every day they push back the early zone is a day less of duck hunting open.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:52 am

I think Kansas has it perfect. Within a 3hour drive you have 130 days of duck hunting available. SE zone being late is fine. Let's just advocate for keeping the Early zone dates as they currently are. Every day they push back the early zone is a day less of duck hunting open.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby Paulinkansas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 pm

The dates for the new SEK zone are great i.m.o. I've been hunting here for the last 15 years. The traditional opening day (one week before daylight savings time) has never been worthwhile for me. There are plenty of mosquitoes, a lack of ducks, and I'm sweating my butt off in the humidity.

Come December and January, there are plenty of ducks. I wasn't too fond of the split in January, because that's when the ducks are here. I would still limit out at Neosho when it was iced over. When the lakes and reservoirs get iced over or snowed over, there are still ducks to be had in moving rivers and in public fields with standing crops.

I've never been to MDC or Flint Hills, so my observations are only about places south of them.

Where I hunt is about 20 miles from the Oklahoma border. Their zone is pretty much the east half of the state from the Kansas border down to Texas. Their season starts about 3 weeks earlier than the SEK zone. The ducks would be flying through the SEK zone before they get to Oklahoma.
Paulinkansas
hunter

Postby Quakerattacker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:32 pm

I hate the late opening of the SE zone. I think the Knuckle heads who changed it are just changing it to mostly help out the hunting clubs who can afford and have a place to heat the water and keep it open. We will have huntable numbers of ducks 2 weeks earlier and we may or may not have them later in the season. So for a few hunters that have great private access or can keep a hole open this is great. But for the average guy who hunts public and a farm pond he gets screwed those two weeks in January. If you like to hunt fields that is great but you are not in the majority. The pits do not always stay open either. Two years ago all but 1 pit had 4" of ice on them and there was room for maybe 2 groups on the one that wasn't. By the way I usually have great mallard shoots in those first two weeks of the season too so its not just about shooting teal. Most of the woodducks are going to be gone by then also. As for those guys who do not think we will have water guess you didn't realize that it was going to start raining. I used to hunt Mo a lot and I might just start back up since the Knuckleheads who run the show in our state do not care about the average hunter.
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Quakerattacker wrote:I hate the late opening of the SE zone. I think the Knuckle heads who changed it are just changing it to mostly help out the hunting clubs who can afford and have a place to heat the water and keep it open. We will have huntable numbers of ducks 2 weeks earlier and we may or may not have them later in the season. So for a few hunters that have great private access or can keep a hole open this is great. But for the average guy who hunts public and a farm pond he gets screwed those two weeks in January. If you like to hunt fields that is great but you are not in the majority. The pits do not always stay open either. Two years ago all but 1 pit had 4" of ice on them and there was room for maybe 2 groups on the one that wasn't. By the way I usually have great mallard shoots in those first two weeks of the season too so its not just about shooting teal. Most of the woodducks are going to be gone by then also. As for those guys who do not think we will have water guess you didn't realize that it was going to start raining. I used to hunt Mo a lot and I might just start back up since the Knuckleheads who run the show in our state do not care about the average hunter.

Sorry, but as an "average hunter" you do not speak for me. I like the dates, and if you only found 1 pit with open water, you didnt drive very far. 80-100' pits are a dime a dozen and it takes a lot more than a few cold weeks to freeze them up.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Kansie Pansie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:35 am

Newbie here. Been lurking for a while, but I just registered to voice my opinion with the rest of you. Thank you all for this forum.
I love the new SE Zone dates. I, like many others, get suicidal watching the majority of the birds moving through SEK in early January when season is closed. :fingerhead:

-So your public ground freezes over? I don't think your marsh freezes up any faster than the shallow ponds and marshes that I hunt. Do you homework, find the birds, break a little ice, or just decoy the ice.

-Private agenda knuckle heads? You think the club owners would want to open season when there are no birds in the area? :huh: I think not. They are not holding huntable populations with their heated water. They are shooting migrating ducks. The birds come in, get shot at and leave. They get new migrators every day just like the rest of us. What does that mean? That means there are ducks in the area. Lots of ducks!! You want to know what dates to set? Ask the private club owners! No Ducks=No Buck$

-Congratulations on receiving 77% of the votes for an earlier opener. :clapping: I know 1 other duck hunter that received a survey, and there are plenty of hunters around. Don't know where they get the mailing or e-mail addresses, but this seems a little odd to me. Maybe 77% of the surveys were sent to JOCO.

Bottom line is season should be open when the ducks are here. You say they are not here in January; I say they are.

Have a great day.
Kansie Pansie
hunter

Postby hunter_ed » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Great post Pansie!!! I agree %100!!! The later the better IMO.
hunter_ed
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Kansie Pansie wrote:-So your public ground freezes over? I don't think your marsh freezes up any faster than the shallow ponds and marshes that I hunt. Do you homework, find the birds, break a little ice, or just decoy the ice.

-Private agenda knuckle heads? You think the club owners would want to open season when there are no birds in the area? :huh: I think not. They are not holding huntable populations with their heated water. They are shooting migrating ducks. The birds come in, get shot at and leave. They get new migrators every day just like the rest of us. What does that mean? That means there are ducks in the area. Lots of ducks!! You want to know what dates to set? Ask the private club owners! No Ducks=No Buck$

-Congratulations on receiving 77% of the votes for an earlier opener. :clapping: I know 1 other duck hunter that received a survey, and there are plenty of hunters around. Don't know where they get the mailing or e-mail addresses, but this seems a little odd to me. Maybe 77% of the surveys were sent to JOCO.

Bottom line is season should be open when the ducks are here. You say they are not here in January; I say they are.

Have a great day.

Like I've said before I'm all for the the SE if the boundary was moved south. It seems like the majority of the people that like the zone live and hunt around Neosho and never hunt MDC or Flint Hills. From what I've read and seen the majority of people that hunt the northern part of the zone want earlier dates or the boundary moved south.

As far as the surveys I'm not sure how they get email addresses but if you pull out your hunting license and state stamp (assuming you have one) your mailing address is on it that's how they mail the surveys. As far as not getting your survey or your buddies not getting it you have to have your current address on there not your parents or an old house who probably just threw it away, i.e. if your in school down there you have to use your dorm address not your home adress where it gets lost in all the credit card applications. Actually I do think only us joco's got surveys because we are all rich and pay so much in taxes that only our opinion matters. Wait a second the majority's opinion doesn't matter.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Also this me, me, me mentality is very disappointing. Throw the dates out the window if 77% of hunters wanted something when surveyed a few people's opinion/agenda should not override the majority. Come November if 77% of the country votes for Romney and Obama decides no I'd rather just stay and overrides the vote, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't fly.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby Quakerattacker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

T Man wrote:
Quakerattacker wrote:I hate the late opening of the SE zone. I think the Knuckle heads who changed it are just changing it to mostly help out the hunting clubs who can afford and have a place to heat the water and keep it open. We will have huntable numbers of ducks 2 weeks earlier and we may or may not have them later in the season. So for a few hunters that have great private access or can keep a hole open this is great. But for the average guy who hunts public and a farm pond he gets screwed those two weeks in January. If you like to hunt fields that is great but you are not in the majority. The pits do not always stay open either. Two years ago all but 1 pit had 4" of ice on them and there was room for maybe 2 groups on the one that wasn't. By the way I usually have great mallard shoots in those first two weeks of the season too so its not just about shooting teal. Most of the woodducks are going to be gone by then also. As for those guys who do not think we will have water guess you didn't realize that it was going to start raining. I used to hunt Mo a lot and I might just start back up since the Knuckleheads who run the show in our state do not care about the average hunter.

Sorry, but as an "average hunter" you do not speak for me. I like the dates, and if you only found 1 pit with open water, you didnt drive very far. 80-100' pits are a dime a dozen and it takes a lot more than a few cold weeks to freeze them up.

I drove all over the place and I been killing ducks in the pits for 25 years. Fish most of them and with a fish finder and I tell you they are not 80' foot deep most are 30' deep at the most. Hell even the trout pit that has a natural spring in it was frozen over completely. I guess you just never made it out that last split. The pit I normally hunt when there was ice had 6" I know because I cut out a piece. There was 2 pits open the day before season and one was covered in mallards and that was the roost. Guys hunted it first morning and then it froze right up. My guess you really don't know what you are talking about if you think the pits were not locked up and they are 100' foot deep.
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm

[/quote]I drove all over the place and I been killing ducks in the pits for 25 years. Fish most of them and with a fish finder and I tell you they are not 80' foot deep most are 30' deep at the most. Hell even the trout pit that has a natural spring in it was frozen over completely. I guess you just never made it out that last split. The pit I normally hunt when there was ice had 6" I know because I cut out a piece. There was 2 pits open the day before season and one was covered in mallards and that was the roost. Guys hunted it first morning and then it froze right up. My guess you really don't know what you are talking about if you think the pits were not locked up and they are 100' foot deep.[/quote]

Guess you should find a new hobby during the split, I've lived in Pitt for 4 years and when it gets cold we break ice on a pit, hunt the river or try to find a field. I'm sorry but the average hunters I know all are willing to break ice, hunt fields or hunt the river. The average hunter can kill birds during ice out he just has to have above average hunting skills, scout more b***h less.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 am

Quakerattacker wrote:
T Man wrote:

I drove all over the place and I been killing ducks in the pits for 25 years. Fish most of them and with a fish finder and I tell you they are not 80' foot deep most are 30' deep at the most. Hell even the trout pit that has a natural spring in it was frozen over completely. I guess you just never made it out that last split. The pit I normally hunt when there was ice had 6" I know because I cut out a piece. There was 2 pits open the day before season and one was covered in mallards and that was the roost. Guys hunted it first morning and then it froze right up. My guess you really don't know what you are talking about if you think the pits were not locked up and they are 100' foot deep.

Might look into purchasing a new fish finder. I can think of 5 off hand that are 60-80' deep less than 30 yards from the boat ramp. 100' is a bit of an exaggeration, but if you can't find open water with 1500 surface acres open to the public, you need to spend some more time scouting. I would also like to know where you broke 6" of ice. This is an honest question because even 4 or 5 years ago when we were below freezing for 2 weeks I was only breaking ice 3" thick. Id rather break ice to hunt when the ducks are here than sit by an open pond watching mosquitos. The rest of the SE zone hunters arent at fault if you cant adapt to the changing weather. Water locks up and you dont want to break ice? Go hunt fields. I cant tell you how many times ive been in a field chasing late season geese and been cussing the ducks flying with impunity.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Quakerattacker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:42 pm

I never once said there wasn't birds around when it freezes up, my statement was the fact after it froze up there are not a lot of places for average guys to hunt. If you have a place on the river or want to go out and chop some ice that's great but I wouldn't call that average. I'm talking average: doesn't matter if there is 3" or 6" of ice or the pit is 80' or 30' deep. When it freezes up it makes it hard for most guys to go hunting. How many other hunters do you see out, when conditions are like that. I do not see many at all. You make it sound like I do not kill any birds or need to pick up a new hobby, some of my best hunts are when its cold same as you, but I kill birds early also and they make bug spray. I do not always have the time to drive around for a full day to find some place to hunt, I have to work unfortunately like an average guy does. It is much easier to go to my pond or a local marsh, but if is locked up that simply is not possible. There are plenty of birds to shoot early and everyone has a place to hunt. As for the gun clubs the clients really only want to shoot mallards and I'm sorry if that's all you want to shoot that is fine but its duck season not mallard season. The clubs can put a heater out and keep the water open and since there is not a lot of water open I'm sure they whack and stack them. I would too but that is not average. I don't know what to tell you about the river but I can say the average guy doesn't have access. I have been trying for years the one place I had is no longer available to me. If you have a spot your lucky. I would say I am not your average hunter, I have been hunting them to long to be average, I own way to damn many decoys to be average, my boat is to damn big to be average, and I hunt more than the average guy gets to. The average hunter hunts on the weekends on a pond or public marsh. He owns couple dozen decoys and God forsaken spinning wing. He loves to sky bust and takes 3 boxes of shells just in case they are flying a little higher than normal. He might think a bluebill is a pintail. If it flies it dies are his motto. I'm guessing if you guys are on here a lot your not average either. I'm talking average.
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:18 pm

:lol: LOVE IT!!!!!!!
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Quotes of the Day!!! BAM!!!

Quakerattacker wrote: As for the gun clubs the clients really only want to shoot mallards and I'm sorry if that's all you want to shoot that is fine but its duck season not mallard season.

Quakerattacker wrote:The average hunter hunts on the weekends on a pond or public marsh. He loves to sky bust and takes 3 boxes of shells just in case they are flying a little higher than normal.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:03 am

It is well understood that the mission and thus obligation of the KDWP would is to provide hunters with dates consistent with the best possible opportunities to harvest the game in question. It appears that they (KDWP) have made a valid attempt to accommodate the changing migration patterns within our state . The migration is occurring later in the eastern part of our state, and it seems to make sense that it would be in the best interest of the hunter to make the adaption. Delta Waterfowl data shows that of 51 areas surveyed the migration was occurring later in all but seven of the survey areas.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby cyoung24 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:38 pm

John O`Neal wrote:It is well understood that the mission and thus obligation of the KDWP would is to provide hunters with dates consistent with the best possible opportunities to harvest the game in question. It appears that they (KDWP) have made a valid attempt to accommodate the changing migration patterns within our state . The migration is occurring later in the eastern part of our state, and it seems to make sense that it would be in the best interest of the hunter to make the adaption. Delta Waterfowl data shows that of 51 areas surveyed the migration was occurring later in all but seven of the survey areas.

Then why send out the surveys and ask our opinion. Maybe I'm getting too deep but you said exactly why is wrong with government these days. They make the decisions for us because they know what is best for us rather than listening to the people that it effects. It is especially troubling when it's appointed rather than elected people making the decisions for us.
cyoung24
hunter

Postby Quakerattacker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:38 pm

John O`Neal wrote:It is well understood that the mission and thus obligation of the KDWP would is to provide hunters with dates consistent with the best possible opportunities to harvest the game in question. It appears that they (KDWP) have made a valid attempt to accommodate the changing migration patterns within our state . The migration is occurring later in the eastern part of our state, and it seems to make sense that it would be in the best interest of the hunter to make the adaption. Delta Waterfowl data shows that of 51 areas surveyed the migration was occurring later in all but seven of the survey areas.

If that was the case how come our rifle deer season is after the rut :mad: Oh ya so more out of state guys can come hunt our state after they rifle hunt deer in their state during the rut. Mission Statement might read: We are here to promote our fine resources to people with the most money. :fingerpt:
Quakerattacker
hunter

Postby Goosegetter50 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:05 pm

The dates are set crying about it isnt going to do any good either go hunting or stay home. Its not like we are going to have water to hunt any way.
Goosegetter50
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Goosegetter50 wrote:The dates are set crying about it isnt going to do any good either go hunting or stay home. Its not like we are going to have water to hunt any way.

Expressing opinions = crying? Really?

Lame post
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby Quakerattacker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Goosegetter50 wrote:The dates are set crying about it isnt going to do any good either go hunting or stay home. Its not like we are going to have water to hunt any way.

I'll just cry some more. This is what KDWP has done in the last 25 years. When I started hunting 25 years ago you could go out find a place to hunt and ask the landowner permission to hunt and the landowner either said yes or no, now its no its leased. I know some of the really good places would be leased but in SE Kansas that was not typical. Now you simply cannot get permission on a consistent basis anymore. It doesn't matter what kind of hunting it is. I know a pond that produced 10 ducks and 6 geese killed on it last year by a group of 4 hunters. It got leased this year so those guys can no longer hunt it. But is that really worth leasing a spot for. Not in my book. I know longer go to western Kansas to pheasant hunt, I make a trip to SD every few years and after one trip up there you realize what it must have been like 30 or 40 years ago in our state. We have some of the best deer and turkey hunting in the country but it is getting harder and harder to find a good spot that doesn't cost a small fortune to hunt them. We used to have awesome quail hunting in this state where did that go. This falls on KDWP. It is their job to manage the resource so that the majority of the people can enjoy it. They do this by actually managing the resource and proposing new laws or proposing to revise old laws. If you have money and want something changed in your favor they are going to listen to you over a bunch of guys without money. Its a fact and I do not like it. Yes I'm crying over spilled milk. I may actually kill more ducks with the season later I have no idea but if it is closed in the entire state except in SE part it is going to get even more crowded on the public marshes. Of course if you have money and a private hole you don't care.
In SD you can hunt from the road, in ND you can hunt any ground that is not posted, in OR any stream you can hunt or fish it is considered public land. In Kansas you used to be able to hunt for free but not anymore. :sad:
Quakerattacker
hunter

Previous

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting