Replacing tube and spring in stock

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Replacing tube and spring in stock

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm

On a 12 gauge Beretta 390. Has anyone done it? Are there aftermarket parts that are better?
Will be doing this in the near future. If anyone has experience with this repair let me know.
I borrowed my brother-in-law's Beretta last duck season. he used it for trap only and never cleaned it. Asked me not to clean it as well. Water, cold weather, and them dirty Expert shells I was shooting caused the gun to quite cycling so I was forced to clean it. OMG it was filthy. The tube and spring is where I'm still having problems because I don't know how to take it apart and since it wasn't my gun YET didn't try. I'm buying the gun.

Buying the gun because I feel bad about it not working like new. (plus I want it!)
It worked like new the day I got it. It still looks like new.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Re: Replacing tube and spring in stock

Postby wingcutter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Look up "sure-cycle". They've got some great aftermarket tubes and springs for Berettas (and many others). :thumbsup:

I've been looking at one for my Urika2, but it still cycles well, so why fix it if it ain't broke...
“To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”

-Aldo Leopold
wingcutter
hunter

Postby maclavin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Remove recoil pad. Remove 13mm nut,remove stock. Remember how the shims are facing. Put a nail through the hole in the recoil spring tube. Heat up the end of the recoil tube with a heat source. Use a Cresent wrench on the flats below the threads where the stock nut was to remove the cap. Remove nail slowly so the spring doesn't poke your eye out kid. Shoot gun for five more years and then repeat.

Mike
maclavin
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:13 am

maclavin wrote:Remove recoil pad. Remove 13mm nut,remove stock. Remember how the shims are facing. Put a nail through the hole in the recoil spring tube. Heat up the end of the recoil tube with a heat source. Use a Cresent wrench on the flats below the threads where the stock nut was to remove the cap. Remove nail slowly so the spring doesn't poke your eye out kid. Shoot gun for five more years and then repeat.

Mike
Any chance of getting some visual aids? Which end do you heat? I'll get there. I'm betting it's really cruddy dirty. I sprayed the gun out with the solvent spray and it ran black for the whole can...I've never seen such a dirty shotgun. Cleaning the tube and spring is what it needs but I figure a spare spring and tube might be handy to have. Things like this never break unless you are using it and need it. The rest of the shotgun is built like a tank and I bet I'll never have any problems.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 am

Exactly what are you wanting or needing?

Just to upgrade?

Sure Cycle 390/391 Instructions

If all it needs is a good cleaning, take the butt stock off and lightly heat the tube at the threaded stud on the end, use a quality crescent wrench, right before the stud come out stick a nail or pin punch thru the hole to retain the spring, finish removing stud. Get a .500 bore brush and chuck it in a drill on a short cleaning rod ad spray and scrub until the tube is spotless.

Order a new spring from Brownells, less than $10, replace and clean regularly, use only a finger wipe of oil on the plunger.

No more problems.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:11 am

I took the old spring out. The guide was difficult to get out because the tube was filthy.
It was packed with crusty bits of shotgun powder etc. The tube was corroded so I sprayed PB Blaster in it and worked the guide out with a pair of channel locks. Took a little twisting and turning.

Cleaned the tube with a brass brush (20 gauge).
Then ran lots of clean patches through.
Put a new spring and guide in. Cost less than $10 for parts from Brownell's.

Reassembled the shotgun and it's faster and much stronger.
I'd like to thank all who contributed to my success at repairing my own shotgun. :thumbsup:
Probably saved myself a bit of jingle for some ammo!
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum