portable blind

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

portable blind

Postby racksnquacks » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:41 pm

does anyone have any good ideas for a cheap portable blind i could easily carry out with me on public land? something quick that can be hauled out in one load and able to put together in the dark?
If it flies it dies, if its brown its down, i guess if it does anything else ill shoot that too
racksnquacks
hunter

Re: portable blind

Postby Ithaca33 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:14 pm

depends on where you are hunting but we use this as a base and add on whatever natural materials are readily available...

sorry for the poor drawing but it should help you visualize what I describe.

Cut two boards (1x4 works well but whatever you have laying around is good) about 5-6' long and cut the bottom at an angle so it goes into the ground easier. Then using old bungee cord or shock cord wrap the corners of another 6' board to the ends of the side boards. This give you a simple frame to hang blind material over. Camo netting, or burlap works well. if you sandwich the cross board between the side boards they will scissor into one stack for easy carrying and can be wrapped in the burlap fabric to keep it all together.
Ithaca33
hunter

Postby max4getem » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:43 pm

I am thinking of buying a blind or building one myself. I am tired of having to find tree limbs to cut and then having to stick them in the hard ass ground. I always seem to spend more time building a blind then putting out decoys and all that. I thought about making one out of pvc pipe. I found the plans on the internet and just color code the piping so its easier to put together.
max4getem
hunter

Postby BishopC4 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:13 pm

What I use is a piece of camo burlap around 12 feet long and 4 feet wide, and 4 foot metal stakes you can pick up at home depot or lowes. I use zip ties to attach the burlap to the stakes, spacing the stakes 3 feet apart. Once put together you have a portable blind that you can use at 4 different lengths, weighs maybe 7 pounds, rolls up easily, and takes 30 seconds to set up. I also take a pair of hand pruners to cut down brush and lay against my blind. Hope this helps.
BishopC4
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Never done this but i have this idea of taking realgrass mats and ziptying 2x2 posts on each end and rolling them up like that, you could tring a few mats together like this depending on how many people you have.
VAgooser
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Here is a shot of or portable blind, just some plastic fencing with palm stuffed in. Then we use some electrical conduit with hooks to act as vertical poles..
Attachments
BLIND PIC.JPG
darkwater27
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Here is a another photo of when I had it closer to being done.....
Attachments
blind 2.JPG
darkwater27
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:11 am

Made one a few years back, it was a two person stand up roll up blind.

on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Duckhunter231 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm

I live in Alabama and I dove hunt as well so as a portable blind I use my dove blind and cover it with grass and limbs out from around the pond I'm hunting rolls up easy and very easy to put up in the dark.
Duckhunter231
Newb

Postby WTRlabDOG » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:57 am

Here a pic from the opening weekend that i use for my portable blind. All i had to do is throw some brush on it. you can hardly see it
Attachments
Blind.jpg
Please check out my website @ http://www.capitol-outdoorsman..com

Follow me on twitter @capitoloutdoors
Follow me on facebook @ capitoloutdoorsman
WTRlabDOG
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:38 pm

I know this is an old post but for anyone who checks it out might find the idea helpful. I just built a portable blind out of 3/4 " PVC Pipe. I built it to be carried in a ski bag. I made it with a roof pitched at a 45 degree angle that extends out about 14 inches. I have a front panel on it that swings down when you want need to get up and shoot. The front panel also extends inward at adjustable angles to suit the shooter. I have all the major pieces connected and glued and only have to set up the pvc pipe that are used for cross bars and support to strengthen the blind. All the pieces are marked with a Sharpie telling me which piece goes where and since I built it I am familiar with how to construct it in about 7 minutes. I also used painted camo burlap and camo netting. I glued the camo netting to the burlap using spray on fabric glue. I went to harbor freight and bought 25 small size clips that fit perfect around the pvc piping where i wrap the blind up with the burlap/camo netting material. I have stakes that are bent in about a 10 inch horse shoe shape that I use to secure the blind to the ground. The roof and front shooting gate also have camo attached to it. To add natural foilage from our surroundings I have bungee cords which hold all the natural brush to blend in with our surroundings. It fits three of us a little tight but we sit on our stools and make the best of it. And it fits all in a bag used to transport ski's. Its 5' L x 3' W x 3' H ( plus the rear pitched roof and the front fold down shooting gate.) I just had it put together and tried to post pics but failed. Sorry guys but by using PVC once you get going its like putting together legos. I will try to learn how to post pics to this site and post them the next time I have it up. Hopefully this season in the field.
Happy Shooting,
MuddyWaders
In the eyes of a tyrant the patriot is a terrorist...
We need to vote politicians who bribe voters out of office...
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:53 am

I put together a lounge chair fold up blind a few years back.

on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby MuddyWaders » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey Rem1100 that is a great idea, I know I have a fold up lounge chair somewhere around the house, I am going to get to work :hammer:
Happy Hunting,
MuddyWaders
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:31 am

Some pvc pipe connectors, some dowels and tie wraps and some burlap it all comes together somehow

on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 pm

12X4 sheet of burlap from walmart, pieces of 6' PVC conduit every 4 feet. Cut the ends of the PVC to a point and push into the ground. Weighs almost nothing and you can spend 15 minutes laying brush on it when you get there.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:50 pm

I hope this works , I am trying to download a pic of my portable blind. Made out of 3/4 inch pvc, burlap, and camo netting. Fits 3 shooters snug. I posted earlier and I know this comes in a bit late but here it is just the same.
Happy Shooting,
MuddyWaders
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:56 am

When working with PVC blinds, do you just use the regular 1/2 inch white PVC, or are you using the higher grade black stuff?

Somewhat worried about the "brittle when cold" phenomenon.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:05 am

Idahoskies,
It would be better to use the heaviest possibly a 1 inch piece of pvc. The black pvc used for piping would be ideal. I used 3/4 inch schedule 30 pvc. I live in Southern Nevada and we don't get extremely cold weather, where I would have have to worry about the pvc cracking. It does drop into the low 30's but I had to also deal with transporting considerations. This was the way I could fit the blind into the ski bag. You also have to be worried about 1/2 in. Pipe being to flimsy. Also you have to build it where the major support is all glued together so all you have to do is connect the support pipe together and wrap it with the camo netting and clip it in place. You can build the blind to the dimensions to suit your needs. If I were to build another one I would have made it a foot longer, but then again I am faced with transporting it, and finding a way to systematically setting it up in darkness and tearing it down in a short time frame and finding a bag that will hold it. It's not perfect but it works. If this is something I find myself using a lot, I may go with an avian (600.00 bucks). But I can't see spending that kind of money on something I may use once or twice a season. So if I'm out $$$$, it's about 60.00 tops for the material and my time.
Happy Hunting,
MuddyWaders
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby pescarconganas » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Muddy,

How does the front gate swing? Is it hinged, or did you just loop a few zip ties to the front wall?

I've been wondering how best to build a similar sized blind, and got to thinking a "pop top" might be simple to make.
Basically, it would be a rectangular piece sized to fit over 4 stakes that just pops off (rests gently on).

I like your design. It looks comfortable and simple to put together. Is there anything you would do different if you were to build another?
pescarconganas
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Hello Pescarconganas,
Its simple. I used 3/4" elbows on both ends ( one end of the elbow is a female and the other is a male ) and made the swing gate out of 1/2" pipe. I did not glue the 3/4" elbows so they would be able to swivle to accept the 1/2 " gate and then be moved to hold the gate inside the 3/4" elbow. I made about a 3-5 inch stub of 1/2 inch pipe to stick out on the gate so it would fit inside the 3/4" elbow. Then I just turn the 3/4" elbow so the 1/2" pipe to the gate stays inside the 3/4" Pipe. By doing it that way the front swing gate swings freely. I lean it back to the desired position or angle I want and lean the gate up against another piece of shortened pipe attached to one of the side top cross bars to hold it in place. You can glue a 3/4' T or use a pipe connector which screws over the side cross bar to design a method so the gate can lean up against the pipe. I hope I explained it well, I am going to be taking it out Saturday possibly and if I do I will take more pics of the inside and then post them if we should decide to go out.
Happy Hunting,
MuddyWaders

P.S. If I were to do it all over again I would try to make it a little bit bigger. But I wanted to keep it to the size that could be transported in a ski bag. Its a little tight for 3 people but it works. Its Ideal for two.
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby pescarconganas » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:25 am

That clarifies the gate. Thanks. I'm hoping to get to work on mine in the next few weeks. I'd get on it sooner but the season is heating up here in southern Utah and I want to spend all my free time hunting... I don't need the blind for any of my local spots, just for a few that are farther away.

I'll post pics of whatever I decide to build, unless of course it is an embarrassment. Then you guys will never see it :grooving:
pescarconganas
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:10 am

Used a stadium chair with a cut piece of 6x5 camo with rafia grass cost just under $50 light and quick and it works

on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby terenceb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Used some camo netting and three 5' wooden stakes to make a blind. Just used black zip ties to attach the netting to the stakes..works fine IMO
terenceb
hunter

Postby snc1100 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am

i made one from 3/4 pvc made into U shaped sections 4 foot tall by 3 foot wide. i made them so them so i could jam them down in the mud and they could be free standing. we then took a roll of burlap and attached fast grass to it with zip ties and rolled it all back up in one big roll. with the pvc sections used in sequence you have the ability to make the blind any length you want. once you have the pvc sections jammed in the mud you just unroll the fastgrass and stand it on edge next to the frame and place a few zipties on every section. the grass is taller than the frame so the grass flops over the top a bit and gives pretty good overhead cover. all the pvc frames were made with no glue and just 90' fittings so it could all be broken down to just a roll of grass and a bundle of pvc pieces. the design could be improved upon im sure but its simple, easy to transport and effective. ill try to get some pics next time we set it up. happy hunting guys!
snc1100
hunter

Postby quackattack77 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:09 pm

do you have a quad? I took three chain link fence gates, put them together, painted them, strapped on some cover and TIG welded some little wheels I found to the bottom. I put two hooks on the top to make it drag behind the quad from the back rack, when at the blind just unfold and shoot ducks! (PS not to heavy to carry)
quackattack77
hunter

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting